Like Tree3636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
The Swimmer is a magnificently melancholic film.
I've only watched The Swimmer on dvd once. I wasn't sure what to make of it whilst watching a couple of years ago but it's really stayed with me in a way that what i thought were better films have not.

It'll look stunning in HD with all those gorgeous outdoor shots
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've only watched The Swimmer on dvd once. I wasn't sure what to make of it whilst watching a couple of years ago but it's really stayed with me in a way that what i thought were better films have not.

It'll look stunning in HD with all those gorgeous outdoor shots
I've only seen the film once as well, also on DVD many years ago, and it had an immediate impact on me. I remember thinking that it was a masterpeice, so hopefully I'll feel the same way following a second viewing.
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Swimmer is another of those weird films that you wonder if you watched it or dreamt it.

It's interesting to see the reaction of people who actually bought it and watched it for the first time, as I think it might be one of those that plays better when you just stumble across it by accident as I did on Channel 4 years back.

I think it will be a big seller for Indicator. They should give it the big box LE treatment.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That set of post cards are collectibles in their own right. On the reverse of each it says -

Quote:
A limited edition set of postcards produced by Powerhouse Films on the occasion of the March 2022 sale.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

I have the US Grindhouse release of The Big Gundown. Excellent film.
Interested in John Badhams take on Dracula though. Any good?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's not, imo, one of the better Dracula's, but I quite like it and it has it's moments...

The biggest problem I had with it was that it featured Trevor 'Eddie Shoestring' Eve which kept throwing me out of the movie

I'm looking forward to giving it another go as I'm sure it'll at least look great all spruced up in HD.
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I have the US Grindhouse release of The Big Gundown. Excellent film.
I watched it without expectations but fearing it might be a bit camp but actually really liked it.

I had it earmarked to rewatch sometime soon but will wait for the Blu-ray now.

Here's my little review from 2017.

Quote:
Dracula (1979)

Director John Badham's take on the classic Bram Stoker story is perhaps more romantic than usual as a seemingly fangless Frank Langella charms his way across the screen. Coming across more Lestat than Dracula, Langella in truth is miscast yet he manages to easily steal many of the scenes he's in especially with Laurence Olivier's Van Helsing, who also appears to be miscast. The mighty Donald Pleasence has a large role in this, although his Dr. Seward isn't a million miles away from his trademark Dr. Loomis in the Halloween series of films. Look out for Sylvester McCoy as well, playing Seward's general dogsbody.

Despite these seemingly damaging flaws in the casting, Dracula is still a good film. It looks terrific and has Gothic atmosphere in spades, and is beautifully photographed, there truly isn't a dull scene to be ahem' scene and whilst it isn't as gory as some of the best vampire films there's still some delightful throat ripping and stakings galore as well as some frightening imagery such as the dead Mina Van Helsing (?) coming on to her unwilling father in her tomb. Isn't it odd how the various Dracula films play mix and match with character names and scenarios?

I was a bit apprehensive as i settled down to watch this, almost fearing the worst, but i actually really enjoyed it.
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
It's not, imo, one of the better Dracula's, but I quite like it and it has it's moments...
It's my second fave of the late 70's Dracula adaptations. The BBC one with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay as Van Helsing remains my favourite with the Palance one a long way behind in third place.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 2nd April 2022, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It's my second fave of the late 70's Dracula adaptations. The BBC one with Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay as Van Helsing remains my favourite with the Palance one a long way behind in third place.
I have the BBC one. Haven't actually got around to it yet. I have a strange love hate thing with Dracula films. My favourite is probably Coppola's take, just for the sheer bombastic approach.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
That's my order too, with the BBC version far superior to the others. Frank Finlay really nails Van Helsing... poor Larry Olivier's Van Helsing is poor by comparison!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!