Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2022, 08:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quite fancy Remember the Night.

I wouldn't put a pre-order in in case it's delayed which makes it a pointless purchase this year. You know, Christmas film delayed until January.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No micro budget horror for Halloween either.....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quite fancy Remember the Night.

I wouldn't put a pre-order in in case it's delayed which makes it a pointless purchase this year. You know, Christmas film delayed until January.
It's a pretty good film, in case you haven't seen it before.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
It's a pretty good film, in case you haven't seen it before.
No, totally new to me. I'm pleased to say.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I have the limited edition of Midway on it's way. Really looking forward to seeing the three hour extended tv version.

A cracking war film with one hell of a cast.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 18th August 2022, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'The Big Gundown' (1966) - Limited Edition Blu-ray pre-order available at PowerHouse Films direct - £22:99

Release date: December 5

"Released the same year as Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Sergio Corbucci’s Django, The Big Gundown (La resa di conti) is a classic spaghetti western. Directed by the great Sergio Sollima (Face to Face, Violent City) this brutal film elevated western regular Lee Van Cleef (Ride Lonesome) to his first ever starring role.

When bounty hunter Jonathan Corbett (Van Cleef) is hired to track down a Mexican peasant (Tomas Milian, in a career-defining role) who has been accused of an appalling crime, he is initially outwitted by the wily bandit. However, the relationship between the two men soon takes an unexpected turn and they team up to take on railroad baron Brockton (Walter Barnes).

With its rousing score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone, and its politically charged screenplay by Sergio Donati (Once Upon a Time in the West) and Franco Solinas (The Battle of Algiers), The Big Gundown has earned its reputation as one of the greatest and most influential Italian westerns.

This individually numbered Limited Edition includes three versions of the film – the US theatrical cut, the extended US cut, and the original 110-minute Italian version – along with a fascinating selection of new and archival extra features, a poster, and an 80-page book."

2 x BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
  • 2K restorations
  • Three feature presentations: La resa dei conti (110 mins): the original Italian theatrical version, presented with both Italian and English soundtracks; the original US theatrical version (90 mins); and the extended US cut (95 mins) with scenes added for television broadcast
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman on the Italian theatrical version (2022)
  • Audio commentary with film historians C Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke on the extended US cut (2013)
  • Spaghetti Western Memories (2012): documentary in which director Sergio Sollima and actor Tomas Milian revisit this much-heralded western
  • Tomas Milian: Acting on Instinct (2013): the genre-film star revisits The Big Gundown and reveals some of his acting secrets
  • Stephen Thrower on ‘The Big Gundown’ (2022): the author and musician on the unique qualities of Sollima’s classic
  • Austin Fisher on ‘The Big Gundown’ (2022): the author of Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western: Politics, Violence and Popular Italian Cinema situates the film in the wider context of the genre
  • Isolated music & effects tracks
  • Original US theatrical trailers
  • Original Italian theatrical trailer
  • TV spots
  • Image galleries: production stills and promotional material
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Italian cinema expert Roberto Curti, archival interviews with Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, and Sergio Sollima, extracts from the film’s promotional materials, an examination of the work of co-screenwriter Franco Solinas, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
  • Limited edition exclusive poster
  • UK premiere on any home video format
  • Limited edition of 5,000 copies

All extras subject to change

Oh, wonderful! This is a superb western.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

PH's last 6 releases have all been hard box LEs. A few reasonably priced 'standard' LEs would be welcome also...
g053584398 likes this.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
No, totally new to me. I'm pleased to say.
Well it's a good Christmas film to add to the list along with the likes of The Bishop's Wife, It Happened on 5th Avenue and It's a Wonderful Life.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:06 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
Well it's a good Christmas film to add to the list along with the likes of The Bishop's Wife, It Happened on 5th Avenue and It's a Wonderful Life.
It Happened on 5th Avenue is my favourite of all. Just utterly charming.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
It Happened on 5th Avenue is my favourite of all. Just utterly charming.
I've only watched the film once but I thought it was great. It came in a box set with three other old Hollywood films, 4 Film Favorites: Classic Holiday Collection 2, and I can definitely recommend that one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Favori.../dp/B0050MB43A
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!