LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Likewise.I have all three.

I could listen to him all day.He's one of the few talking heads I actually listen to.

Recieved a nice package from PH containing THE SWIMMER,ROBIN HOOD and MADIAGAN.

Can't have too much Siegel....
Madigan's interesting in a way. I don't think it's as good as it really should be. Henry Fonda is proper underused. Despite this i will be buying the Indicator release.
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:56 AM
Cultist

We mention Jonathan Rigby, but then I feel we must also mention Kim Newman. He's another talking head that I never tire of listening to. Also, I'm a big fan of his books!

Last edited by Nuno_Miranda; 23rd September 2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
He's also incredibly sexy haha I don't know what it is but he really stirs something in me

moving on... ahem
Justin, I thought you were talking about Richard Greene! Well, fair play for not being a 'looks' man
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:17 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
We mention Jonathan Rigby, but then I feel we must also mention Kim Newman. He's another talking head that I never tire of listening to. Also, I'm a big fan of his books!
I basically buy any bluray that has a Kim Newman interview on it His knowledge is vast and his delivery is also really entertaining. I in fact have Arrow's disc of Nightbreed arriving today, a film which I already own (Shout Factory) and I don't particularly like but I'm looking forward to watching Kim Newman talk about it and convince me to give it another viewing

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd September 2022, 08:39 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I basically buy any bluray that has a Kim Newman interview on it His knowledge is vast and his delivery is also really entertaining. I in fact have Arrow's disc of Nightbreed arriving today, a film which I already own (Shout Factory) and I don't particularly like but I'm looking forward to watching Kim Newman talk about it and convince me to give it another viewing
This is so absolutely, 100%, true of me. Having a Kim Newman commentary is a major selling point for me on any disc. He can do no wrong
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm the same regarding Kim Newman. If a film has a commentary or talk by him i'm always going to choose it over a release that doesn't.

I bought the Arrow Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Andromeda Strain a few weeks ago purely because he was involved with the extras.

I love his commentaries alongside Stephen Jones for Halloween II, I Walked with a Zombie and The Old Dark House. Listened to all three countless times.
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:54 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bought the Arrow Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Andromeda Strain a few weeks ago purely because he was involved with the extras.

I love his commentaries alongside Stephen Jones for Halloween II, I Walked with a Zombie and The Old Dark House. Listened to all three countless times.
Hmmm, now I need to check out those too
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

KN is pretty incredible although he'd be the first to admit that he's not always right. If you read the footnotes to the most up to date edition of Nightmare Movies he admits in a few places that he didn't always get it right in the first edition.

His ability to cross-reference themes and connections with other movies is mind boggling and he can do it without any preparation. In a round robin discussion for Video Watchdog one of the contributors even said words to the effect 'you know Kim, you're the only person who would spot that'

Speaking of VW, Tim Lucas credits KN as basically being the Deputy Editor of the magazine while he was writing his Bava Book.

And on a personal note KN found the time to answer a couple of emails that helped me out with my Diploma dissertation.

Great guy!
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:10 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
KN is pretty incredible although he'd be the first to admit that he's not always right. If you read the footnotes to the most up to date edition of Nightmare Movies he admits in a few places that he didn't always get it right in the first edition.

His ability to cross-reference themes and connections with other movies is mind boggling and he can do it without any preparation. In a round robin discussion for Video Watchdog one of the contributors even said words to the effect 'you know Kim, you're the only person who would spot that'

Speaking of VW, Tim Lucas credits KN as basically being the Deputy Editor of the magazine while he was writing his Bava Book.

And on a personal note KN found the time to answer a couple of emails that helped me out with my Diploma dissertation.

Great guy!
He's like a modern Isaac Asimov, but for movies: incredibly prolific and entertaining, with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of great stories.

And now I miss VW. I still have a few issues, and way back when they were so very hard to come by over here (Portugal). I still treasure the dozen or so that I own. Damn, now I'm nostalgic: VW, Starlog, Cinefantastique, Fangoria! <sigh>
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:17 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
He's like a modern Isaac Asimov, but for movies: incredibly prolific and entertaining, with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of great stories.

And now I miss VW. I still have a few issues, and way back when they were so very hard to come by over here (Portugal). I still treasure the dozen or so that I own. Damn, now I'm nostalgic: VW, Starlog, Cinefantastique, Fangoria! <sigh>
Isn't Fangoria still going?

It's quarterly now i believe. No idea if it's still sold in newsagents outside the US though.

Rue Morgue is / was a mag that is still going. I used to love that but it eventually became too expensive also it's not on sale anywhere i go nowadays.
MacBlayne and Nuno_Miranda like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!