Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Happy new year all!

Does anyone know what is happening with Michael j Murphy? It's now showing as unknown release on Amazon. I suspect this is just not going to turn up.
Finally signed off for manufacturing in early December, and should hit its current 30 January release date barring unforeseen problems outside Powerhouse's control. We're all very proud indeed of this one - and all credit to Powerhouse head honchos for not insisting that we cut corners when it became obvious that the original production schedule was somewhat unrealistic (major understatement).

Quote:
Also, do we think Indicator will pull another Hammer set out the bag this year? Desperate for Abominable Snowman and 7 Golden Vampires.
Can't comment on Hammer in general, but can explicitly rule out those two, as they're with other UK labels. The label most likely to release the mid-50s titles is Network.

Quote:
Speaking of vampires, Indicator have made a fortune out of re-packaging the 20 film Kino Lorber set into pricey box sets. Will they go beyond the films in the KL set at all or would that be too big an ask?
If you're talking about the Columbia Noir titles, only existing Sony high-definition masters are available for licensing, as Sony doesn't permit third-party access to their 35mm vault materials. So the answer to your final question may well be yes - but in any case the Columbia Noir series has finished for now, as we're currently focusing on Universal Noir.
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post

If you're talking about the Columbia Noir titles, only existing Sony high-definition masters are available for licensing, as Sony doesn't permit third-party access to their 35mm vault materials. So the answer to your final question may well be yes - but in any case the Columbia Noir series has finished for now, as we're currently focusing on Universal Noir.
I thought he meant the 20 film Hammer set released by Mill Creek not Kino as that features many films released over here by Indicator.

https://www.wowhd.co.uk/hammer-film-...d/683904894618

Only the OP can answer this though regarding what he meant.
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

deleted post as MB got in ahead of me and obviously his answers are definitive

Last edited by Rob4; 2nd January 2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought he meant the 20 film Hammer set released by Mill Creek not Kino as that features many films released over here by Indicator.

Only the OP can answer this though regarding what he meant.
Ah, gotcha - sorry, the reference to Kino Lorber completely threw me.

But it still doesn't make a huge amount of sense because Indicator has released a fair number of Hammer titles that weren't in that box set. Off the top of my head, there's The Brigand of Kandahar, Captain Clegg, A Challenge for Robin Hood, Nightmare, The Phantom of the Opera, The Scarlet Blade, Shadow of the Cat and Visa to Canton - so almost half as many again.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Ah, gotcha - sorry, the reference to Kino Lorber completely threw me.

But it still doesn't make a huge amount of sense because Indicator has released a fair number of Hammer titles that weren't in that box set. Off the top of my head, there's The Brigand of Kandahar, Captain Clegg, A Challenge for Robin Hood, Nightmare, The Phantom of the Opera, The Scarlet Blade, Shadow of the Cat and Visa to Canton - so almost half as many again.
That Robin Hood box set is one of my releases of 2022. From the vibrant box art and lovely poster to the splendid films themselves.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 2nd January 2023, 07:50 PM
Cultist

Awesome! Thanks all. Looking forward to Murphy. Have to say though that Indicator have really rekindled my love of Hammer, now I'm obsessively collecting all the titles. The most recent box (night shadows?) was amazing. Yes, you're right, it wasn't Kino with the set, I'm getting my wires crossed. Don't mean to sound all negative, Indicator are beyond awesome and can't wait to see what they're up to in 2023!
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've been working more or less full time on Michael J Murphy between June and December, so I'm really looking forward to getting seriously stuck into 2023.

And I suspect there'll be a fair amount of stuff that has particular appeal round these parts.

I can't go into any more detail than Powerhouse co-founder Sam Dunn did in a recent Chasing Labels podcast, but he's confirmed that there'll be "lots of" Jean Rollin films, as well as Italian exploitation films and native English-language genre films from the same period, all not only in end-to-end 4K restorations but also released in 4K UHD HDR.

He also confirmed that there'll be more Mexican genre films (the reception of La Llorona and especially Phantom of the Monastery has been pretty overwhelming), including titles that weren't mentioned in the Guardian piece that originally spilled the beans.
Old 2nd January 2023, 08:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

More Mexican genre films is good news. Even though i've not seen any Santo films.

Curse of the Doll People, Spiritism and Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy were memorable ones from a set i've watched a few times called 'Crypt of Terror Horror from South of the Border'.

Upgrades on those titles would be most welcome.
g053584398 and Rob4 like this.
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

So shocked that Phantom of the Monastery went OOP so quickly. I was forced to pick it up on Amazon, but managed to to get it for £12.99.

It must be really difficult for labels to figure out what is going to sell like hotcakes?
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
So shocked that Phamtom of the Monastery went OOP so quickly. I was forced to pick it up on Amazon, but managed to to get it for £12.99.

It must be really difficult for labels to figure out what is going to sell like hotcakes?
That one was certainly a pleasant surprise! As was its reception in general, with a general consensus that it wasn't just unexpectedly good for a 1930s Mexican horror film but unexpectedly good by any 1930s horror yardstick.

And standard editions of both that and La Llorona will be out in Q1 2023.
Rob4 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!