Like Tree1492Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2020, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Bolero.Shite film.Nice imagery.
So much for originality. Calling the film Bolero after using that piece in "10". One thing you can't hold against Mrs. Derek is her desire to show her breasts off and getting naked. Similar to Jenny Agutter. Just to make certain we don't lose a sense of what this thread is about, I do recommened a great Premium Collection title with Jenny, Logan's Run. Even though most of us have seen the film 25 million times.

Last edited by hivemind; 9th July 2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 9th July 2020, 12:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
You must be around the same age as me....you born circa 1972?
1975. Just a couple of wks away from Jaws being released. Shame I didn't get the chance to see Jaws on the big screen.
Old 9th July 2020, 12:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
I worked for Apollo Video. Started in the Merton High Street branch when I was at school, ran the Putney shop as a manager before becoming Area manager for South London.

I moved to Devon in 2011 - so we have a West Country connection on common too!

Blinking hell!

Tapes played a major part of your working life. When I moved to Cornwall in 1988, I ended up during my school holiday's working in a blasted fish & chip shop in Truro. Hated every damn minute of it. About 1991, I did a stint at a video shop in Truro, located at Lemon Quay. The bloke who had the VHS rental shop had just over 1000 titles, and a load of Medusa tapes, plus quite a few Palace tapes that would've gone for good money now. A treasure trove of VHS goodness. Just wished I had the money back in the day to buy up some of those tapes. Miss it lots.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th July 2020, 06:28 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default PREMIUM COLLECTION (HMV EXCLUSIVES) THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Blinking hell!

Tapes played a major part of your working life. When I moved to Cornwall in 1988, I ended up during my school holiday's working in a blasted fish & chip shop in Truro. Hated every damn minute of it. About 1991, I did a stint at a video shop in Truro, located at Lemon Quay. The bloke who had the VHS rental shop had just over 1000 titles, and a load of Medusa tapes, plus quite a few Palace tapes that would've gone for good money now. A treasure trove of VHS goodness. Just wished I had the money back in the day to buy up some of those tapes. Miss it lots.

Yeah, I ended up working for Apollo for 12 years before segueing into buying for Video Island, Britannia and Prism Leisure - 15 years in total and 14 of those were during the days of tape. I continued to work in the video industry for another five years after that before moving here.

All those old independents are gone now. My pal here in Tavistock finally closed his doors last year - I don’t know of any other rental shops now apart from one in Bristol that became the focus of the media a few years ago.

I’m sure, like me, you’d travel far and wide collecting tapes back in the day - video shops, newsagents, off licences, boot fairs and charity shops. I was still acquiring stuff to sell well into the 00s (and wrote a regular column about collectible bits for a trade mag) but it’s pretty much dried up now. You seldom see tapes around and if you do they’re the sell-thru releases of common variety titles.

Still, I have happy memories and I love chatting about it!
hivemind and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yeah, I ended up working for Apollo for 12 years before segueing into buying for Video Island, Britannia and Prism Leisure - 15 years in total and 14 of those were during the days of tape. I continued to work in the video industry for another five years after that before moving here.

All those old independents are gone now. My pal here in Tavistock finally closed his doors last year - I don’t know of any other rental shops now apart from one in Bristol that became the focus of the media a few years ago.

I’m sure, like me, you’d travel far and wide collecting tapes back in the day - video shops, newsagents, off licences, boot fairs and charity shops. I was still acquiring stuff to sell well into the 00s (and wrote a regular column about collectible bits for a trade mag) but it’s pretty much dried up now. You seldom see tapes around and if you do they’re the sell-thru releases of common variety titles.

Still, I have happy memories and I love chatting about it!
Interesting. Britannia. Use to buy tapes from them. Do you remember Bensonworld based in London. Back in the early days they use to sell brand new rental tapes for 60-80 pounds a pop. Then they went to selling retail and finally DVD. I think the company went bust. You were lucky enough to work in the VHS industry.

I ended up working in HMV in Truro when it opened in 2003. Now it's downsized and ended up in Pydar Street in Truro. It's the closest I got to working with physical media again. There's tapes I still have in my collection from those days when I use to travel to HMV in Guildford back in the 1980's.

The prices of tapes in HMV in the mid-1980's was crazy. They often had those Warner big box tapes that were re-issues for £14.99 and then quite a few ex-rental titles that had only been used three times, then they would be sold in HMV or Virgin. I remember buying Return of the Jedi Crocodile Dundee and the first RCA/Columbia release of Krull. Some of those tapes cost about 35 to 50 pounds each. Insane days, considering back then there was no retail market for VHS tapes until 1986.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:42 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Interesting. Britannia. Use to buy tapes from them. Do you remember Bensonworld based in London. Back in the early days they use to sell brand new rental tapes for 60-80 pounds a pop. Then they went to selling retail and finally DVD. I think the company went bust. You were lucky enough to work in the VHS industry.

I ended up working in HMV in Truro when it opened in 2003. Now it's downsized and ended up in Pydar Street in Truro. It's the closest I got to working with physical media again. There's tapes I still have in my collection from those days when I use to travel to HMV in Guildford back in the 1980's.

The prices of tapes in HMV in the mid-1980's was crazy. They often had those Warner big box tapes that were re-issues for £14.99 and then quite a few ex-rental titles that had only been used three times, then they would be sold in HMV or Virgin. I remember buying Return of the Jedi Crocodile Dundee and the first RCA/Columbia release of Krull. Some of those tapes cost about 35 to 50 pounds each. Insane days, considering back then there was no retail market for VHS tapes until 1986.
I used to get Christmas cards from Ron Benson of said Bensonsworld - I love the old catalogue lists they sent out. Of course it all lives on in the label they set up - Eureka.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 9th July 2020, 12:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I used to get Christmas cards from Ron Benson of said Bensonsworld - I love the old catalogue lists they sent out. Of course it all lives on in the label they set up - Eureka.
I didn't realise Eureka came from the ashes of Bensonsworld.

Learn something new etc.

Great to see you again, Almar.
Old 9th July 2020, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Heck!

I use to enjoy those card thingy's through the post. Especially the DVD deals with box sets. There was another business that sold UK rental tapes. Use to be in the trade mags and Video World magazine. Think it was called Gilt Edge or something like that. We're going back some way now.

Even my favourite film soundtrack store in Leeds went belly up around the same time as Bensonsworld, Movie Boulevard. They sold films on Region 1, UK DVD, Film soundtracks etc...
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th July 2020, 08:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

The last time I was in Truro must have been last year or even the year before and the HMV that I'd been on previous occasions had closed - makes sense - Plymouth relocated to a smaller premises too - I guess we should be grateful that they're still trading.
hivemind and MrBarlow like this.
Old 10th July 2020, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
The last time I was in Truro must have been last year or even the year before and the HMV that I'd been on previous occasions had closed - makes sense - Plymouth relocated to a smaller premises too - I guess we should be grateful that they're still trading.

Grateful, but how long can these businesses carry on with the amount of streaming services popping up. I would imagine that Blu-Ray has another, possibly, 5-10yrs of life, before the plug get pulled. Thank God I've bought three Blu Ray players + plus the one I use currently. Corporations are constantly pushing these newish services more and more, and more people are going for the easier option of streaming.

Last edited by hivemind; 10th July 2020 at 03:21 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!