Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2017, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I picked up the new dvd of The Mummy (1932) this week from HMV in their two for £10 offer.

Although i already own the film and it's many sequels this one intrigued me thanks to it having a bonus disc.

My current copy (which includes The Creature from the Black Lagoon) features a commentary and a 30 minute documentary - Mummy Dearest.

This new release adds He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce - a half hour documentary, an 8 minute Legacy of the Mummy feature and a 90 minute Universal Horror documentary charting the history of the Universal Monsters.

The release, at least on dvd, sports a lovely thick card slip case (or are they called O-cards) with a gorgeous papyrus like texture, or in laymans terms - not glossy. There is a sticker on the slipcase but it will come off.

Even if you have The Mummy on dvd or bluray i think it's worth buying it again for the Universal documentary and slipcase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4662 (Large).jpg (98.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 18th June 2017, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I picked up the new dvd of The Mummy (1932) this week from HMV in their two for £10 offer.

Although i already own the film and it's many sequels this one intrigued me thanks to it having a bonus disc.

My current copy (which includes The Creature from the Black Lagoon) features a commentary and a 30 minute documentary - Mummy Dearest.

This new release adds He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce - a half hour documentary, an 8 minute Legacy of the Mummy feature and a 90 minute Universal Horror documentary charting the history of the Universal Monsters.

The release, at least on dvd, sports a lovely thick card slip case (or are they called O-cards) with a gorgeous papyrus like texture, or in laymans terms - not glossy. There is a sticker on the slipcase but it will come off.

Even if you have The Mummy on dvd or bluray i think it's worth buying it again for the Universal documentary and slipcase.
Its a fantastic documentary but already have it as it was included the monster legacy collection with the busts
Old 18th June 2017, 04:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Its a fantastic documentary but already have it as it was included the monster legacy collection with the busts
I have the first US release with the busts which only deals with Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolfman and it's not on that set. So for me this Mummy release is great.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 18th June 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Well The Mummy is currently on $295m worldwide from a budget of $125m

It's only been out 10 days. Almost guaranteed to be the first in the franchise now.

Seems Tom Cruise is the only movie star left who can carry a film on poor word of mouth.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mummy2016.htm
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 18th June 2017, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

It's only been out 10 days. Almost guaranteed to be the first in the franchise now.

Seems Tom Cruise is the only movie star left who can carry a film on poor word of mouth.

The Mummy (2017) (2017) - Box Office Mojo
With any luck they will getting the other movies right as if its done right it could be an interesting franchise, with any luck it wont take then as long as DC.
Old 18th June 2017, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

The Mummy (2017) (2017) - Box Office Mojo
One review read something like "A typical MI style Cruise run, jump and fall action blockbuster but with a Mummy in the way this time" I'll pick it up on BD cause I kinda like that description
Old 18th June 2017, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default franky

Franky goes Blu...

PTDC0051.jpg

Old 19th June 2017, 08:49 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

Have you watched the doc yet Dem? If it's any good I'll probably pick up the DVD as it's currently 2 for £10 (i'm sure I can find another DVD to pair up with it).

I'm looking forward to the Legacy sets coming down in price a bit, the 'Monsters' set can be had for £14 at the moment so fingers crossed.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th June 2017, 09:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Have you watched the doc yet Dem? If it's any good I'll probably pick up the DVD as it's currently 2 for £10 (i'm sure I can find another DVD to pair up with it).

I'm looking forward to the Legacy sets coming down in price a bit, the 'Monsters' set can be had for £14 at the moment so fingers crossed.
No i haven't watched the doc yet. I chapter skipped through it and it seems good. Thought i'd leave it till it was more Universal Monster type weather - Autumn / Winter.

Egypt and heat? Well this weekend seemed okay to watch The Mummy again.
Rik, Justin101, Demoncrat and 1 others like this.
Old 1st November 2017, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran

The Universal Monsters legacy collections are currently £11.99 each on Zavvi, the offer sold out pretty fast last time they did these so cheaply so don't snooze on it.

I just ordered Frankenstein Legacy, I already have the Dracula one from last month when Zoom had them cheap for a flash sale.

It's a shame that so many of the films cross over into the different sets, you end up with multiple copies of certain films
J Harker and Graeme73 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!