Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree276Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2021, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:58 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Better Luck Tomorrow' (2003) - Coming to Blu-Ray from Paramount Pictures

Release date: June 1

"Never underestimate an overachiever. To his classmates and teachers, high-schooler Ben Manibag (Parry Shen) appears to be the "model" student: a perfectionist and overachiever, destined for nothing less than graduating at the top of his class and then attending a prestigious college

But underneath this persona is a darker side -- Ben and his bored high-school buddies lead double lives, flying high in a world of petty crime and material excess in order to ease the pressures of "being perfect"

It's a free-wheeling lifestyle that soon takes a downward spiral, leading to an unexpected end

An Official Selection at the Sundance Film Festival, Better Luck Tomorrow is a gripping, edgy and provocative film that rips the tranquil, well-manicured facade off of middle-class suburbia and cultural stereotypes."

Oh hell yes! Own it on dvd but it's worth upgrading.

And an interesting fact (or not!), Justin Lin says that Han from this film is the same one from the Fast & Furious movies, so you can consider this a sort of prequel, even though the films are nothing alike.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:59 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
'Switchback' (1997) - Coming to Blu-Ray from Paramount Pictures

Release date: June 1

"Clues. Suspects. Heart pounding suspense. Spectacular stunt sequences. They're all part of the explosive mix in Switchback, the double- and triple-twist thriller directed by Jeb Stuart (co-writer of Die Hard and The Fugitive) and starring Dennis Quaid and Danny Glover

A serial killer is on the loose. And he's kidnapped the son of the FBI agent pursuing him. But who is the killer? Where is the child hidden?

With powerful performances by Quaid and Glover, Switchback zigzags through sensational thrills and surprises around each turn."

Another great film. The US dvd I have is non-anamorphic, and looks awful.
Old 7th June 2021, 07:39 PM
Cult Master

'Nashville' (1975) - Coming to Blu-ray from Paramount Presents

Release date: August 10

"Following 24 unique characters through 5 days in the country music capital, Robert Altman's Oscar winning epic presents a complexly textured portrayal (and critique) of America’s obsession with celebrity and power.

Among the various stars, aspirants, hangers-on, observers, and media folk are politically ambitious country icon and his fragile star protégée, a self-absorbed rock star who woos a lonely married gospel singer, a talentless waitress painfully humiliated at her first singing gig, a runaway wife with dreams of stardom, and a campaign guru who is trying to organize a concert rally for an unseen presidential candidate.

An essential of 70s cinema, this newly remastered Blu-ray, from a 4K film scan of the original elements, looks better than ever."

Special Features:
  • Commentary by Robert Altman
  • NEW 24 Tracks: Robert Altman’s NASHVILLE
  • Theatrical Trailers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nashville.jpg (67.4 KB, 5 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th June 2021, 08:15 PM
Cult Master

'Bugsy Malone' (1976)

Release date: August 31

"Before FAME, PINK FLOYD: THE WALL, THE COMMITMENTS, and EVITA, acclaimed director Alan Parker redefined the movie musical with his first feature length film.

Set in 1929 New York City, BUGSY MALONE captures a flashy world of would-be hoodlums, showgirls, and dreamers — all portrayed by child actors. As Tallulah, the sassy girlfriend of the owner of Fat Sam's Grand Slam Speakeasy, future superstar Jodie Foster leads a talented cast. Parker’s sharp script, combined with the music and lyrics of Paul Williams (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE) makes for an irresistible satire that’s truly one-of-a-kind.

Available for the first time in the US on Blu-ray, in celebration of its 45th Anniversary, this limited-edition has been remastered from the original film elements."

Special features:
  • New - GIVE A LITTLE LOVE: PAUL WILLIAMS ON BUGSY MALONE
  • New - FILMMAKER FOCUS: EXECUTIVE PRODUCER DAVID PUTTNAM ON BUGSY MALONE
  • Theatrical Trailers

MrBarlow likes this.

Old 8th June 2021, 08:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
New ‘Friday the 13th’ 8-Movie Blu-ray Collection on the Way from Paramount This Summer / Bloody Disgusting

"Last year’s Friday the 13th: Complete Collection Blu-ray set from Scream Factory will likely forever be *the* must-own set for Friday fans, packed with all twelve films and all kinds of bonus features. That set is still available for just over $100, but if that’s a bit too rich for your blood, Paramount Pictures is releasing a new Blu-ray set with, well, only eight of the films.

Announced today, Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection will release August 10.

“Get ready for the only Friday the 13th of the year on August 13th with this to-die-for collection, which includes newly remastered versions of the first four films in one of the most influential and successful horror franchises in cinematic history. This must-have set for fans of heart-stopping horror is gushing over with hours of previously released special features including slashed scenes, making of featurettes, killer commentaries and much, much more. The set also includes access to digital copies of all eight movies, including the “uncut” edition of the original Friday the 13th.”

“Return to the terror of Camp Crystal Lake and re-experience all the screams, scares, and creative kills. From the too-often ignored warnings of Camp Crustal Lake’s “death curse,” through an ever-increasing body-count that culminates on the streets of New York City, the hockey-masked mayhem is unleashed and unstoppable.”"

The eight films in the collection are:
  • Friday The 13th
  • Friday The 13th Part 2
  • Friday The 13th Part 3
  • Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
  • Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning
  • Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
  • Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
  • Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

NOT included are:
  • Jason Goes to Hell
  • Jason X
  • Freddy vs. Jason
  • Friday the 13th (2009)
At time of writing, it's under $60 at Amazon US

Old 8th June 2021, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
At time of writing, it's under $60 at Amazon US
Why would anyone want this when you can get the UK version. I did for £30.

I wasn't expecting much of a decent picture to be honest but it looks fantastic in HD. only seen the first two so far.
Old 9th June 2021, 08:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Is there a detailed comparison anywhere? It would be useful to know the differences to make an informed choice.
Old 9th June 2021, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran

I definitely think the extras will be exactly the same as the previous Paramount set but it will use the new transfers that they recently did of 1-4 for Shout Factory. I seriously doubt they'll have any of the new Shout features and interviews.

Overall better than the old set but pay an extra $40 and get the Shout set with 4 extra films and loads of features.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th June 2021, 10:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I definitely think the extras will be exactly the same as the previous Paramount set but it will use the new transfers that they recently did of 1-4 for Shout Factory. I seriously doubt they'll have any of the new Shout features and interviews.

Overall better than the old set but pay an extra $40 and get the Shout set with 4 extra films and loads of features.
I don't know if the UK set has the same transfers but they look crystal clear on the first two films. I was very pleased with them.

There's about an hour of extras plus commentaries on the first film. I didn't even bother looking at Part II's extras. I think that probably gives you one reason why i didn't opt for paying £100.

Another is i really don't want the remake movie. Although it's a pity about Jason X and Freddy vs Jason , however i'v never seen them as part of the franchise proper - the Crystal Lake films so can live with it.

Incidentally - There's three discs of extras on that Star Wars set i bought last week. Doubt i'll ever put them in the player to be honest.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!