Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2008, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Vipco,you're not aka GATTACA on other forums are you?
Old 10th March 2008, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I think we're safely Gattaca-free here Reaper.

Island Of Death is another heavily cut Vipco release alas. I think some cuts would be waived to this too, though it probably won't be uncut for some time yet.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Vipco,you're not aka GATTACA on other forums are you?
No Reaper, im vipco on all forums i've joined, Shamless , DA's Realm of Horror and a few gaming forums , mainly Codemasters. Also vipco on PSN. Sorry mate.
Who's GATTACA.?

I see what you mean about VIPCO collectors on other horror forums , were not treated to well which is why I mainly read them only and not join.
With VIPCO now gone I thought that i'd see very little of my type of horror in UK stores so im glad to find a decent company like Shamless I can give my support to.
I started collecting VIPCO titles when they re released Zombie Flesh Eaters, Bogeyman etc on their 'Cult Classics' VHS collection back in the early 90s and followed them through the DVD releases till they closed. I think losing the dvd rights to Zombie Flesh Eaters to Stonevision hurt them bad. Though they still managed to put some IMO rare classic films out.
Nice to meet a fellow VIPCO fan. Reaper.

I think Island of Death would still suffer cuts today because of the films reputation as it was submitted to the bbfc heavily cut by another company in the 90s under a different name and refused a cert. I think VIPCO were lucky getting it passed in its current version , but today it would be passed slightly more complete . Though I think those who want it uncut will have it , so I wouldn't see much point in a re release, and the VIPCO version IMO is still worth picking up.
Another good one was Blood Camp Thatcher, aka Turkey Shoot.

Last edited by vipco; 11th March 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11th March 2008, 01:00 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Gattaca's a forum troll who joins under many assorted names. I wouldn't worry too much about him. If he joined here we'd soon know about it.

Vipco do have their fair share of knockers these days (NOT in the Pamela Anderson sense) but many people forget that they were once one of the front-runners back in the days of the video nasties. They're also many people's first introductions to the world of cult horror and it's a bit of a shame that they didn't make a better transition to the world of DVD.

I posted my memories of Vipco in an earlier competition thread here - http://shameless-films.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68
Old 11th March 2008, 01:29 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

True Vincenzo, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Driller Killer and films like that etc wouldn't have seen the light of day if it wasn't for VIPCO but their poor attitude towards DVD and releasing a few heavily cut films let them down.

Im pretty new to forums so if you dont mind me asking, whats a Troll.?

Thanks for posting the VIPCO link.
Old 11th March 2008, 07:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not sure why Vipco were criticised for releasing some heavily cut films when other companies do the same thing, I mean it's not like they had a choice when it came to cuts.

Some of the cuts to Island of Death could probably be waived now. The scene involving urolagnia would still be cut but the following violence where the woman is kicked repeatedly would be waived. Not sure if the BBFC would waive the cuts to the scene where a woman has her face burnt off with a lighted aerosol but they probably would providing there is no focus on the nudity of the woman. The other cut where a sickle is seen protruding between a woman bare breasts might still be cut though. The rape scenes at the end would still be cut for sure. Personally I thought the most distasteful scene was the bestiality which involved an actor and a goat, the animal then being stabbed to death. Never cut by the BBFC.

I think the cuts of 6m to Blood Camp Thatcher back in the 80's was outrageous. Personally I never thought the film was that violent at all.

Last edited by Angel; 11th March 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11th March 2008, 11:15 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

A forum troll is someone who joins web forums with the sole intention of causing rows and arguments.

The vast majority of Vipco titles would get through uncut now. The only exceptions being the cannibal films plus House On The Edge Of The Park and Island Of Death. Not long ago I'd have added Toolbox Murders to that list but I'm sure it would pass intact now. Admittedly there's full frontal nudity during the nail gun scene but no torture is involved and no scenes of graphic sexual violence either (even the shooting itself is in semi-darkness).

I wonder how Maniac would fare now? I never thought Late Night Trains would pass uncut but Shameless got the job done.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The bbfc seam to have a no blood on breasts policy. I think HOTEOTP would pass with just the scene were Hess repeats his razor signing of the breasts scene from LHOTL being the only major cut with maybe slight trimming to a few other scenes but nothing serious, certainly not the 11 plus mins ( Ithink ) it is currently missing.

Island of Death is a strange one censor wise, and I to was surprised they left the goat scene yet cut other scenes but I think even today it would suffer heavy cuts and no company would be willing to risk the classification cost to find out, as sales wouldn't be great for another cut version of this film.
Maybe Blu Ray might see previously cut horror films get uncut releases, but I doubt it.

Blood Camp was passed uncut on DVD but shouldn't have been cut the first time as its pretty tame.

Ferox and Eaten Alive would certainly pass with just cuts for animal cruelty and I think would sell quite well like this as I dont know anyone who would miss those scenes.

Last edited by vipco; 11th March 2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11th March 2008, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The BBFC abandoned their blood on breast policy some years ago, the cuts to the razor mutilation in Edge of the Park was simply due to the fact that it featured a naked woman being tortured/mutilated. I doubt they would pass the opening rape/strangulation scene in the car.
Old 11th March 2008, 02:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

They finally done away with the blood and breast ban, I didnt know that.

I forgot about the opening rape/murder scene as its been that long since I saw it. I have an uncut vhs but bought the VIPCO release just for my collection of their titles. It also came with their 25th Cannibal Holocaust set .
The print of Cannibal Holocaust in the 25th Anni. disc is far superior to their original release but all credits and end written information are in Italian compared to English in the original dvd release. I use PS3 to upscale my dvd's and this is one of a small number of VIPCO films that you can really notice a difference.

I get slated alot for standing up for VIPCO as the dvd's are often not fully given the digital remastering treatment but I find these people are happy enough with old vhs copy quality, then when someone like VIPCO release uncut dvd's the quality isnt good enough for them. Strange.
Shameless prints i've found to be very good but i've mentioned this and that they're uncut on other forums but people still want to import.
I hope all goes well for Shameless and UK horror fans give them a chance, but most people cant see past Anchor Bay or importing .

Shameless run a great forum too, loads of information and its full of friendly people . I'll definitely support their release's. I'll stick around the forum to as long as the comunity dont mind.

Like this? Share it using the links below!