Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   DVD Buyer's Video Nasty Guide (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/1474-dvd-buyers-video-nasty-guide.html)

kevxxx1 4th July 2009 10:30 PM

Of the official 39 nasties:-

Absurd (aka Horrible) - coming from MYA uncut but non-anamorphic
Anthropophagus The Beast - US Shriek Show uncut
Axe - US Something Weird uncut (1.33:1) / UK ILC uncut (1.33:1)
The Beast in Heat (aka SS Hell Camp) - US Shriek Show uncut
Blood Bath (aka Bay of Blood/Twitch of the Death Nerve) - Most versions uncut but have sound issues, best version seems to be Scandinavian AWE release
Blood Feast - US Image (Something Weird) uncut (1.33:1)/ UK release on Tartan is cut and best avoided
Blood Rites (aka The Ghastly Ones) - US Image (Something Weird) uncut (1.33:1)
Bloody Moon - US/UK Severin uncut
The Burning - US MGM uncut
Cannibal Apocalypse - US Image uncut / UK release on Cinema Club is cut and best avoided
Cannibal Ferox - US Grindhouse uncut / Austria Sazuma and Scandinavian AWE are uncut and seem to have best transfer
Cannibal Holocaust - US Grindhouse missing few seconds of 'Road To Hell' sequence / Dutch EC Ultrabit and Scandinavian AWE are totally uncut with full 'Road To Hell' sequence
The Cannibal Man - US Blue Underground uncut
Devil Hunter - US/UK Severin uncut
Don’t Go in the Woods… Alone! - US Code Red uncut (1.33:1) / UK Film 2000 uncut (1.33:1)
The Driller Killer - US Cult Epics uncut but non-anamorphic / French Opening/GCTHV uncut and anamorphic
Evilspeak - UK Anchor Bay uncut, 2-Disc version has additional extended cut
Expose (aka The House on Straw Hill) - Couple of cut UK releases taken from VHS but Severin is version to wait for
Faces of Death - US Gorgon Video uncut (1.33:1)
Fight For Your Life - US Blue Underground uncut
Flesh For Frankenstein (aka Andy Warhol’s Frankenstein) - US Image uncut / UK Tartan uncut
Forest of Fear (aka Toxic Zombies/Bloodeaters) - German Retrofilms (OOP?) uncut. This could do with a decent release.
Gestapo’s Last Orgy - US Exploitation Digital uncut
The House by the Cemetery - US Blue Underground uncut / UK Arrow uncut
House on the Edge of the Park - US Shriek Show uncut
Island of Death - US Image release uncut (1.33:1)
I Spit on Your Grave - US Elite Entertainment Millennium Edition uncut / UK releases are cut and best avoided
The Last House on the Left - UK Metrodome Ultimate Edition uncut / US MGM uncut. Both versions have different extras - both are worth picking up
Love Camp 7 - UK DVD Classics uncut (1.33:1) - Taken from VHS. This could do with a decent release.
Madhouse - US Dark Sky uncut / UK Film 2000 uncut but non-anamorphic and with awful sound level
Mardi Gras Massacre - No release yet. This could do with a decent release.
Night of the Bloody Apes - US Image (Something Weird) uncut (1.33:1) / UK Film 2000 uncut. US version has great extras.
Night of the Demon - No release yet. This could do with a decent release.
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain (aka Nightmare) - Coming from Code Red, don't hold your breath!
Snuff - US Blue Underground uncut (1.33:1)
SS Experiment Camp - US Media Blasters uncut / UK Blackhorse uncut but shoddy and best avoided.
Tenebrae - US Anchor Bay missing few unimportant seconds / Holland A-Film and Scandinavian Star Media Entertainment/Atlantic Film/Future Film are uncut
The Werewolf And The Yeti - Released in Spain but in Spanish only. This could do with a decent release.
Zombie Flesh Eaters - US Media Blasters Shriek Show uncut / UK Anchor Bay uncut. US 2-disc has best extras.

To the best of my knowledge, I have kept this list to the best quality available US/UK releases unless there's a significantly improved release from another country.
I don't profess to have seen every release of these from around the globe so any updates would be welcome.
I've also ignored any Vipco releases as they just generally offend me.

vincenzo 4th July 2009 10:48 PM

Blood Feast - The UK Tartan release is cut (the whipping scene). The Odeon release is uncut.
Night Of The Bloody Apes - The UK Film 2000 is cut (basically everything). The Redemption release is uncut.

The only cut to the UK Cannibal Apocalypse is a very brief (2 sec) shot of a rat on fire during the sewer chase. Not even noticeable.

trench 5th July 2009 01:23 AM

As regards Cannibal Holocaust, I haven't seen the Ultrabit print, but I've yet to see a better transfer than the Dutch Studio 2602 Media Madness release. Blows the original EC and Grindhouse releases away. And it includes the Road to Hell sequence. I can post some uncompressed screenshots if you like, it's awesome. You may be able to pick it up online at freerecordshop.nl. The same label released Man from Deep River and Eaten Alive, both similarly good prints, but I've not compared them to other releases.

That Media Blasters/Shriek Show release of Zombie Flesh Eaters is something else as well. Almost too good.

Angel 5th July 2009 08:07 AM

Interesting that Love Camp 7 was released on DVD here. Needless to say it was an illegal release like the uncut Deep River Savages.

Nora 5th July 2009 09:32 AM

Found this site, which came in handy. Between it and Kev's post I put together a bit more:

UK

Unhinged - R2 (Platinum Media)

Imports

The Dorm that Dripped Blood/Pranks - R0 (looks like a Vipco release, but their Screamtime release is cut)
Expose - R1 Severin (due to be released)
Frozen Scream - German R2
Mardi Gras Massacre - R1
Revenge of the Bogey Man - R1 (Boogey Man 2)
Visiting Hours - R1 Anchor Bay
Blood Rites/The Ghastly Ones - R1 Something Weird (double feature with Seeds of Sin)
Faces of Death - R1 Gorgon Video (see also Faces of Death Collection)

No English DVD
The Werewolf and the Yeti - Spanish release only

gax 5th July 2009 12:11 PM

im still waiting for nightmare maker,terror eyes(got a Nightschool bootleg vhs lol)and night of the demon to get a release anywhere,i rlly like nightmare maker but my bootleg has a god awful picture and its on vhs (Record Fair ftw)

Daemonia 5th July 2009 01:37 PM

I don't know if this will help, but these are the 'nasties' I have on DVD...

Anthropophagous - Shriek Show R1
Axe - Something Weird R1
The Beast in Heat (as SS Hell Camp) - Shriek Show/Exploitation Digital R1
The Beyond - Anchor Bay/Grindhouse/Rolling Thunder R1
Blood Bath (as Bay of Blood) - Anchor Bay R1
Blood Feast - Something Weird R1
Blood Rites (as The Ghastly Ones) - Something Weird R1
The Bogey Man (as The Boogeyman - Sony Pictures (16x9 transfer unlike the non-anamorphic Anchor Bay version previously issued) R1
The Burning - MGM R1
Cannibal Apocalypse - Image Entertainment R1
Cannibal Ferox - Sazuma 16x9 print R2/Grindhouse R1
Cannibal Holocaust EC R2/Grindhouse R1
The Cannibal Man - Anchor Bay R1
Cannibal Terror - Hardgore R2
Contamination - Blue Underground R1
Dead and Buried - Blue Underground R1
Deep River Savages (as Man from Deep River) - Shriek Show R1
Don't Go in the House - Shriek Show R1
Don't Go in the Woods...Alone - Code Red R1
Don't Go Near the Park - Dark Sky R1
Don't Look in the Basement - VCI R1
The Driller Killer - ILC Prime R2
The Evil Dead - Fullscreen version Anchor Bay US/Widescreen version Anchor Bay R2
Evilspeak - Anchor Bay R2
Fight For Your Life - Blue Underground R1
Flesh for Frankenstein - Image Entertainment R1
Frozen Scream - Laser Paradise R2
The Funhouse - Universal R1
The House by the Cemetery - Anchor Bay R1
House on the Edge of the Park - Shriek Show R1
I Spit on Your Grave - Elite Millennium Edition R1
Inferno - Anchor Bay R1
Island of Death - Image Entertainment R1
Killer Nun - Blue Underground R1
The Last House on the Left - MGM R1
Late Night Trains (as Night Train Murders) - Blue Underground R1
The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue - Anchor Bay R2
Night of the Bloody Apes - Something Weird R1
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain - Screen Entertainment R2 (edited version)
Possession - Anchor Bay R1
Prisoner of the Cannibal God (as Mountain of the cannibal God - Extended Director's Cut Anchor Bay R1
Shogun Assassin - Animeigo R1
Snuff - Blue Underground R1
SS Experiment Camp (as SS Experiment Love Camp) - Shriek Show/Exploitation Digital R1
Tenebrae - Anchor Bay R1
The Toolbox Murders - Blue Underground R1
Unhinged - Platinum Media Distribution R2
Visiting Hours - Anchor Bay R1
The Witch Who Came From the Sea - Subversive R1
Xtro - Image Entertainment R1
Zombie Creeping Flesh (as Hell of the Living Dead) - Anchor bay R1
Zombie Flesh Eaters (as Zombie) - Blue Underground R1

All are uncut (AFAIK) except for Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, which is still an edited version, but not pre-cut.

vipco 5th July 2009 03:06 PM

The Dutch Studio 2602 Media Madness, that Trench mentioned , has a great release of FEROX and the artworks pretty cool.

My thanks to Trench for a very cool trade on that. Top guy.

Nora 5th July 2009 10:08 PM

Okay, at this point we've covered most of them, but there's a few scragglers:

Delirium/Psycho Puppet
Forest of Fear/Toxic Zombies
Human Experiments
I Miss You, Hugs and Kisses/Drop Dead Dearest

And, for the sake of completism, Cain's Cutthroats (which generally isn't included in copies of the DPP list). Anyone got information on these five?

Definitive list v.2:

UK:

Axe 2 disc - ILC UK R2
Bloody Moon - Severin UK R2
Cannibal Terror - Screen Entertainment
Dead & Buried - Anchor Bay UK
Contamination - Box of the Banned v.2
The Devil Hunter - Severin R2
Don't Go Near the Park - Box of the Banned v.2
Dont Go in the Woods - Film 2000 R2
Evil Dead Rubber Book of the Dead Edition - Anchor Bay UK
Evil Speak 2 disc - Anchor Bay UK
Flesh for Frankenstein - Tartan
The House by the Cemetary - Arrow
Killer Nun - Shameless
Last House on the Left 3 disc - Metrodome UK R2
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue - Anchor Bay UK / Blue Undergorund R1
Love Camp 7 - DVD Classics (only release)
Night Train Murders - Shameless
The Slayer - Vipco
Shogun Assassin - Vipco / AWE Denmark R2
Tenebrae - Box of the Banned v.2
Unhinged - R2 (Platinum Media)
The Witch who Came from the Sea - Box of the Banned v.2
Zombie Creeping Flesh - Vipco / Blue Underground US

Import:

Absurd - MYA R1 ( as Horrible )
Anthropophagus 2 disc - Shriek Show - R1
Bay of Blood - Mario Bava Collection v.2?
The Beast in Heat ( As SS Hell Camp ) - Shreik Show R1
The Beyond - Grindhouse R1
Blood Feast - Image Entertainment (American R0)
Blood Rites/The Ghastly Ones - R1 Something Weird (double feature with Seeds of Sin)
The Boogyman - Marketing (German R2), although the British releases are uncut and the R0 USA release is packaged with The Devonsville Terror
The Burning - MGM R1
Cannibal Ferox - Grindhouse - R1
Cannibal Holocaust 2 disc - Grindhouse R1
Cannibal Apocalypse - Image R1
Cannibal Man - R0 Anchor Bay US, R1 Blue Underground and Austrian R2 all more or less the same
Deep River Savages - Shriek Show R1 ( As Man from Deep River )
Death Trap - Dark Sky -R1 ( As Eaten Alive )
Don't go in the House - R1 Shriek Show (also available as poor qiality R0 USA)
Don't Look in the Basement - various American R0 releases of even quality. Also an uncut but bare bones UK DVD.
The Dorm that Dripped Blood/Pranks - R0 (looks like a Vipco release, but their Screamtime release is cut)
Driller Killer 2 disc - Cult Epics R1
Expose - R1 Severin (due to be released)
Faces of Death - R1 Gorgon Video (see also Faces of Death Collection)
Frozen Scream - German R2
Fight for Your Life - Blue Underground R1
The Funhouse - R4 release is best, although the British release is uncut
Gestapos Last Orgy - Exploitation Digital R1
House on the Edge of the Park - Shriek Show R1
I Spit on Your Grave - Elite R1
Inferno - Blue Underground
Island of Death - Image R1
The Last House on the Left - Metrodome (although the Dutch 2-disc SE is good too)
Mardi Gras Massacre - R1
The Mountain of the Cannibal God - Blue Underground
Night of the Bloody Apes - R1 Something Weird, part of double feature with Feast of Flesh. UK release uncut. See also Something Weird Beauties and Beasts boxset.
Possession - Anchor Bay US
Revenge of the Bogey Man - R1 (Boogey Man 2)
Snuff - Blue Underground R0 (only release)
SS Experiment Camp - Exploitation Digital R1 (Blackhorse UK is fullscreen with poor image quality, but is uncut. See also Exploitation Digital triple pack)
There Was a Little Girl/Madhouse - Dark Sky R1 (British release is uncut but the sound quality is bad)
The Toolbox Murders - Anchor Bay UK (R-rated version - although apparently the NC-17 version is now lost)
Women Behind Bars - Blue Underground
Visiting Hours - R1 Anchor Bay
Xtro - R1 Image Entertainment
Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 Disc - Shriek Show R1

No uncut English DVD:

Night of the Demon
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
Nightmare Maker
Terror Eyes
The Werewolf and the Yeti - Spanish release only

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th July 2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trench (Post 32730)
As regards Cannibal Holocaust, I haven't seen the Ultrabit print, but I've yet to see a better transfer than the Dutch Studio 2602 Media Madness release. Blows the original EC and Grindhouse releases away. And it includes the Road to Hell sequence. I can post some uncompressed screenshots if you like, it's awesome. You may be able to pick it up online at freerecordshop.nl. The same label released Man from Deep River and Eaten Alive, both similarly good prints, but I've not compared them to other releases.

That Media Blasters/Shriek Show release of Zombie Flesh Eaters is something else as well. Almost too good.

The EC Ultrabit version of Cannibal Holocaust has the best print that I've seen (so far). Plus it is completely uncut and restores the road to hell sequence. The AWE version is also supposed to have a terrific print, and again is completely uncut. I haven't seen the Media Madness release, so cannot compare that with the EC version I have.

I agree with you on Shriek Show's ZFE - an amazing package, and very hard to top IMHO. :cool: