Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2012, 01:50 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I think most DVD companies who release former-nasties use the fact the film was on the DPP list as a selling point.After all, if a film is/was banned it only wants to make people want to watch it more.If I was in the business of releasing films I'd probably use the tag to promote my product too.On the subject of the guy who promoted and released the WOV2000 pre-cert video release of Nightmares in a Damaged Brain being imprisoned, was there anyone else connected to a video nasty release banged up as a direct result of being involved with its release?
David Hamilton Grant got 18mths reduced to 12 mths prison for the NIADB fiasco
late 80's according to the Sun he was accused of assault, drug dealing and corrupted thousands of children
he died in Cyprus in mysterious circumstances
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 12th August 2012, 02:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
David Hamilton Grant got 18mths reduced to 12 mths prison for the NIADB fiasco
late 80's according to the Sun he was accused of assault, drug dealing and corrupted thousands of children
he died in Cyprus in mysterious circumstances
The poor bloke! If you watch the Code Red DVD of Nightmare now you wonder what in the hell was all the fuss about.It's incredible to think people back then were so offended by the likes of The Evil Dead and Zombie Flesh Eaters.
Old 12th August 2012, 02:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
The poor bloke! If you watch the Code Red DVD of Nightmare now you wonder what in the hell was all the fuss about.It's incredible to think people back then were so offended by the likes of The Evil Dead and Zombie Flesh Eaters.
teah the controversy surrounding that film was really media/politicians overkill
the cover/weight of brain/title disgusted them!
got the Code Red dvd and pleased i have the horror
a UK release shouldn't have any trouble these days...shouldn't
Old 12th August 2012, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You all talk like censorship is a thing of the past but it is here with us right now.
30 years from now there will be some young chap on a site like this one saying, " It's incredible to think that back in 2012 people were so offended by the likes of The Bunny Game or A Serbian Film!"
Old 13th August 2012, 12:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
You all talk like censorship is a thing of the past but it is here with us right now.
30 years from now there will be some young chap on a site like this one saying, " It's incredible to think that back in 2012 people were so offended by the likes of The Bunny Game or A Serbian Film!"
Yes, but censorship isn't anything like at the level seen back in '84. Now we get the occasional film cut, in post-VRA Britain just about every horror film was being hacked to pieces by the BBFC to err on the side of caution in the wake of the nasties debacle. Even distributors were pre-cutting films before BBFC submission for fear of contravening the law. My Apex VHS tape of Nights of Terror (Burial Ground) ran just under an hour, if memory serves correct. About half an hour was cut. Now tell me films get cut like that in this day and age on a regular basis? Back then, everything was butchered by the censors at Soho Square.
vipco, Pete, Demoncrat and 1 others like this.
Old 13th August 2012, 02:25 AM
Cult Acolyte

I remember getting hold of the UK 18 rated VHS of Dawn of the Dead and just about every scene of bloodletting was cut.Getting hold of the uncut US Thorn EMI videotape was a revelation to me back then.The same with the Thorn EMI VHS of The Evil Dead and Vestron Video's unrated edition of Re-Animator.
Old 13th August 2012, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Yes, but censorship isn't anything like at the level seen back in '84. Now we get the occasional film cut, in post-VRA Britain just about every horror film was being hacked to pieces by the BBFC to err on the side of caution in the wake of the nasties debacle. Even distributors were pre-cutting films before BBFC submission for fear of contravening the law. My Apex VHS tape of Nights of Terror (Burial Ground) ran just under an hour, if memory serves correct. About half an hour was cut. Now tell me films get cut like that in this day and age on a regular basis? Back then, everything was butchered by the censors at Soho Square.
Exactly the same print I saw first (BG). NIADB is for me still a nasty little delight, if you're prepared to soak in the sleaze of it, whereas today's "shockers" are more like instructional videos for sociopaths I M H O

Except Mordum (shudders)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2012, 04:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Now tell me films get cut like that in this day and age on a regular basis? Back then, everything was butchered by the censors at Soho Square.
Yeah, I agree, I remember only too well! Yes things are a hell of a lot better nowadays but better is not perfect, in fact it's not even good!
Over just the last 2 years we've had around 15 - 20 films cut and 3 or 4 banned!
Severly cut films were put forward back in the day as it was the only way to get something out and that legacy reverberates to this day. That is why a lot of films have never even been submitted to the BBFC as the assumption is that it will be slaughtered or banned, so why waste money?
I mean, even these infamous "Video Nasties" , (Sorry if you hate that title!) still causes huge debate and half are unavailable or still banned in the UK 30 odd years later!
They can change their name from Censors to Classifiers but that only makes them dishonest as well.
So yes, things are not as bad now as in 1984 but that is like saying things are better in Iraq now Saddam's gone!!
Rik likes this.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm not saying things are perfect, life rarely is, wherever you are. But what I am saying is that things are nowhere as bad as they were back in the mid '80's. Nowhere near.

I'd also like to know what the 15 - 20 films were that were cut by the BBFC. Can you list them, as I'm curious?
vipco, Pete, alex s and 2 others like this.
Old 14th August 2012, 04:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I'd also like to know what the 15 - 20 films were that were cut by the BBFC. Can you list them, as I'm curious?
Cor! there I go, some itsy bitsy throwaway comment delivered mid rant and now I gotta prove it......with facts!!
Okay then, I loves a challenge!! 15 to 20 dvds cut by our beloved Censors over the last 2 years........ GO!
The Owner 142s
War of the Arrows 5s
Immortals 20s
Legendary Amazons 10s
Elfie Hopkins 6s
Stormhouse 1s (Hey! A cut is a cut!)
Deadtime 12s
Gengis Khan Pre cut 1965 cut by further 35s !!
Ninjagu (A LEGO film!) 12s
3 Stooges 5 different cuts - can't find out how much...??s
Sacrifice 32s
Human Centipede 2 Perhaps you know but a fair amount! ??s
I Spit on Your Grave - Both versions!! ??s
Emmanuelle in America 4:31s
House on the Edge of the Park ??s
Neighbour ??s
New York Ripper ??s
Sex and Zen 3D ??s
And lets not forget...A Serbian Film. More cuts than you can shake a pointy stick at!
And that's in 5 minutes of looking and doesn't include crapola like Step up to the Dance 4 or the hundreds of Adult entertainment dvds that are cut.
Things are better.....but still not good as the list above proves!
I presume you know the 3 or 4 banned titles...

Oops...The Owner 82s not 142!

Last edited by Boo Radley; 14th August 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!