Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2012, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Weren't films like Immortals only cut to get a certain certificate?

Elfie Hopkins was cut to get a 15 at the distributors request, so we can't blame the BBFC for it all.
Fair point, but you can blame the BBFC for setting ridiculous guidelines in the first place! Guidelines not based on anything that could be used in a court of law but arbitrary, dependent on the personal taste of the examiners involved.

For example, Stormhouse a rating of 15 but cut by 1 second because of one useage of the "c" word! Really.....C'mon, who are they saving with that?

This country can send an 18 year old off to a foreign country to kill strangers and watch his friends die, all in the name of freedom, mind you, so you and I are FREE, but when he comes home a cripple and wants to watch a crappy bit of exploitation like say, Nightmares, Werewolf and the Yeti, Anthropophagus, etc, etc...etc! He is told, "No, you cannot watch these films, you are a mere commoner and will find difficulty in registering what is real or imaginary and therefore pose a serious threat to society!"
It makes me want to weep!
Daemonia and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I find it annoying as well that if i want an uncut Blu-Ray of I Spit on Your Grave, i have to import one from Australia.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
I find it annoying as well that if i want an uncut Blu-Ray of I Spit on Your Grave, i have to import one from Australia.
Then you have to pay ridiculous Australia prices!
Daemonia likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 14th August 2012, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Fair point, but you can blame the BBFC for setting ridiculous guidelines in the first place! Guidelines not based on anything that could be used in a court of law but arbitrary, dependent on the personal taste of the examiners involved.

For example, Stormhouse a rating of 15 but cut by 1 second because of one useage of the "c" word! Really.....C'mon, who are they saving with that?

This country can send an 18 year old off to a foreign country to kill strangers and watch his friends die, all in the name of freedom, mind you, so you and I are FREE, but when he comes home a cripple and wants to watch a crappy bit of exploitation like say, Nightmares, Werewolf and the Yeti, Anthropophagus, etc, etc...etc! He is told, "No, you cannot watch these films, you are a mere commoner and will find difficulty in registering what is real or imaginary and therefore pose a serious threat to society!"
It makes me want to weep!
By all accounts the MPAA are just as bad now.

Director William Friedkin doesn't care for them much.

Q&A with William Friedkin and Emile Hirsch | People's Critic: Film Reviews - seattlepi.com

About 2/3rds down he has a good whinge.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

I think it was Mark Twain that said this?

"Censorship is like telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it."

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 15th August 2012, 12:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Cor! there I go, some itsy bitsy throwaway comment delivered mid rant and now I gotta prove it......with facts!!
Okay then, I loves a challenge!! 15 to 20 dvds cut by our beloved Censors over the last 2 years........ GO!
The Owner 142s
War of the Arrows 5s
Immortals 20s
Legendary Amazons 10s
Elfie Hopkins 6s
Stormhouse 1s (Hey! A cut is a cut!)
Deadtime 12s
Gengis Khan Pre cut 1965 cut by further 35s !!
Ninjagu (A LEGO film!) 12s
3 Stooges 5 different cuts - can't find out how much...??s
Sacrifice 32s
Human Centipede 2 Perhaps you know but a fair amount! ??s
I Spit on Your Grave - Both versions!! ??s
Emmanuelle in America 4:31s
House on the Edge of the Park ??s
Neighbour ??s
New York Ripper ??s
Sex and Zen 3D ??s
And lets not forget...A Serbian Film. More cuts than you can shake a pointy stick at!
And that's in 5 minutes of looking and doesn't include crapola like Step up to the Dance 4 or the hundreds of Adult entertainment dvds that are cut.
Things are better.....but still not good as the list above proves!
I presume you know the 3 or 4 banned titles...

Oops...The Owner 82s not 142!
Jeez, I didn't realise the chaps at Soho Square had been so busy! All pointless cuts and their ridiculous posturing about 'protecting the public' is just plain insulting.

Still, we're not quite at the levels of censorship as seen in the 80's, but the fact that they're still doing any censorship at all is unacceptable in this day and age IMO. Especially when at the click of a button I can buy the uncut version anyway....
Old 15th August 2012, 12:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Then you have to pay ridiculous Australia prices!
I know, I bought one! Cost a bleedin' arm and a leg, guvnor. Still, to have it uncut on Blu was too much to resist, but it's not something I'd make a habit of. But pesky region coding forced me go down under (ooer missus!).
Old 15th August 2012, 09:57 AM
Active Cultist

Cannibal Holocaust:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but, in my opinion, the Dutch Ultrabit edition of Cannibal Holocaust is better than the Grindhouse version.

Here's the caps comparison (more detail is present in the Ultrabit): http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.ph...D=344&select=1

The Grindhouse edition is also missing 10 seconds from The Road To Hell sequence (Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Cannibal Holocaust (1980))

The quality of the soundtrack is better on the Grindhouse edition though, and it has more extra features, but it does have a rubbish front cover!
Old 15th August 2012, 10:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
I won't be happy with the BBFC until we have a level playing field with the US and the rest of Europe.
I hope you're not including Germany in amongst the rest of Europe.Their censorship problem is miles worse than ours!
Old 15th August 2012, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
By all accounts the MPAA are just as bad now.

Director William Friedkin doesn't care for them much.

Q&A with William Friedkin and Emile Hirsch | People's Critic: Film Reviews - seattlepi.com

About 2/3rds down he has a good whinge.
Essentially though, the MPAA are just a glorified advisory board. When it comes to home video and even cinema, anything goes. It just depends on how many screens or what stores the distributors want to sell them to. Walmart won't sell NC-17 and a lot of theatres won't show them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!