Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3575Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2016, 09:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think Bill is a 1 man operation precisely because there is no one who could work along side him for any period of time. I understand some of his grievances but on the whole he is beyond me with his temper tantrums and childish attitude.

Saying that, though, somehow he does manage to put out releases that I want and normally only around 1000 copies of each, which - along with his customer service, wailing and moaning and broken English rants - makes the label very collectable in itself. Why collect something that has a "limited edition" of 10 000 and is available everywhere? (Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2, anyone?) Perhaps, if he wasn't such a dick, CR might not be as sought after as they are. Remember, this is the only company that has given us such treats as Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, Night of the Demon, Pets and a slew of releases whilst individually they may not appeal but collectively become a macrocosm of lost gems from our early video days.

I too, wish another label could pick up some of his releases but it seems that no one else is interested in the low brow trash that he delves into, ( I mean, Milligan on Blu Ray, who'd a thought it?) preferring the Almighty Dollar over content, especially in this time of diminishing physical media.

I remember the excitement of finally finding a film after looking for it, sometimes for years, in the days before the internet and that feeling was sometimes better than actually watching the film in question. That is still echoing in my psyche now so although Bill is very amusing and frustrating, I would mourn if he stopped production and as cult film collectors, we would be poorer for CR's demise.

So, in that spirit....Long Live Code Red!
Yeah, I know I'm in a minority of 1, here!!
Old 14th February 2016, 10:17 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Saying that, though, somehow he does manage to put out releases that I want and normally only around 1000 copies of each, which - along with his customer service, wailing and moaning and broken English rants - makes the label very collectable in itself. Why collect something that has a "limited edition" of 10 000 and is available everywhere? (Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2, anyone?) Perhaps, if he wasn't such a dick, CR might not be as sought after as they are. Remember, this is the only company that has given us such treats as Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, Night of the Demon, Pets and a slew of releases whilst individually they may not appeal but collectively become a macrocosm of lost gems from our early video days.

I too, wish another label could pick up some of his releases but it seems that no one else is interested in the low brow trash that he delves into, ( I mean, Milligan on Blu Ray, who'd a thought it?) preferring the Almighty Dollar over content, especially in this time of diminishing physical media.
I know it was a significant gap, but Nightmares in a Damaged Brain was released by Code Red on Blu-ray as Nightmares (I bought one) and it was put out this year by 88 Films, so perhaps some of this year's releases will include some of the titles which CR have previously released and you mentioned above.
Old 14th February 2016, 10:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know it was a significant gap, but Nightmares in a Damaged Brain was released by Code Red on Blu-ray as Nightmares (I bought one) and it was put out this year by 88 Films, so perhaps some of this year's releases will include some of the titles which CR have previously released and you mentioned above.
Whenever another label releases something he put out he usually claims they're bootlegs. He was insinuating that about 88's release of nightmare.
Thing is, ignoring the guy (and that's actually quite easy) the releases are mostly solid and interesting. I have loads, there are some gaps due to being big cartel only and I won't pay £40 for a film regardless, unless it actually comes with something that interests me (withnail set for the book ect). If he simply stuck them on screen archives/diabolik I'd buy them.
Incidentally I've been informed that bill has been going onto facebook under different names and been posting abusive, racist remarks. As most have been deleted I'm not sure how true that is but if it is then that's pretty bad even for bill.
Old 14th February 2016, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Incidentally I've been informed that bill has been going onto facebook under different names and been posting abusive, racist remarks. As most have been deleted I'm not sure how true that is but if it is then that's pretty bad even for bill.
He's probably doing that to himself to drum up interest in his releases and give him something to bitch about.
Old 18th February 2016, 02:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Whenever another label releases something he put out he usually claims they're bootlegs. He was insinuating that about 88's release of nightmare.
Thing is, ignoring the guy (and that's actually quite easy) the releases are mostly solid and interesting. I have loads, there are some gaps due to being big cartel only and I won't pay £40 for a film regardless, unless it actually comes with something that interests me (withnail set for the book ect). If he simply stuck them on screen archives/diabolik I'd buy them.
It's worth trying a reshipping company. Someone on another forum recommended me Shipito, and I used them to get the following:

Reshipping isn't as expensive as I'd feared either. It worked out at just over $13 for that lot to be shipped via Airmail to the UK (that's insured for loss, and including the $2 reshipment charge). Including the $9.99 Code Red charge to ship to the US it doesn't work out at much more than Diabolik really. It takes a little longer overall, but surely much better than paying over the odds on e-bay. Worth remembering if there's a title you desperately want (for me it was The Love Butcher and The People Who Own The Dark), and Bill sends it to the Code Red Store rather than SAE.

I gather he may have fallen out with Diabolik about them stocking 88 Films' version of Nightmares In A Damaged Brain. Not sure how true that is. That's why I gave up waiting for Diabolik to get them anyway.
Old 18th February 2016, 02:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I gather he may have fallen out with Diabolik about them stocking 88 Films' version of Nightmares In A Damaged Brain. Not sure how true that is. That's why I gave up waiting for Diabolik to get them anyway.
I'm a little confused: I thought that Bill got along with everyone?
Old 18th February 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
It's worth trying a reshipping company. Someone on another forum recommended me Shipito, and I used them to get the following:

Reshipping isn't as expensive as I'd feared either. It worked out at just over $13 for that lot to be shipped via Airmail to the UK (that's insured for loss, and including the $2 reshipment charge). Including the $9.99 Code Red charge to ship to the US it doesn't work out at much more than Diabolik really. It takes a little longer overall, but surely much better than paying over the odds on e-bay. Worth remembering if there's a title you desperately want (for me it was The Love Butcher and The People Who Own The Dark), and Bill sends it to the Code Red Store rather than SAE.

That's a stellar idea!

Think I'll give that a go once I'm flush again.
Old 18th February 2016, 08:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You watched The People Who Own The Dark?

Pic quality-wise the word Vipco springs to mind.....

Still.I'll hold on to it-no one else bothered to try and tart it up!
g053584398 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 18th February 2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 18th February 2016, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great idea for shipitto mate!

Now the ****er has gone and pulled Vampire's Night Orgy-the only one I need!
g053584398 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th February 2016, 08:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
You watched The People Who Own The Dark?

Pic quality-wise the word Vipco springs to mind.....

Still.I'll hold on to it-no one else bothered to try and tart it up!

I haven't watched it yet, but I found the original DVD release more than serviceable, and I gather it's a slightly better print used for the blu-ray. I'm generally fine with print damage.

Like this? Share it using the links below!