Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree3575Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2016, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From the message he left he doesn't seem to understand why an English speaking person would want the foreign soundtrack. I do usually watch my gialli and horror with their English soundtracks, however sometimes it's apparent that the cast are mostly delivering their dialogue in Italian so I'll switch it to the Italian and read the English subs. I wonder how many people will complain and enrage Bill if he hasn't included the Italian soundtracks or English subs for the track.

Us cult film fans are a picky lot, but us Euro Cult fans are even pickier!
Old 7th August 2016, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
From the message he left he doesn't seem to understand why an English speaking person would want the foreign soundtrack. I do usually watch my gialli and horror with their English soundtracks, however sometimes it's apparent that the cast are mostly delivering their dialogue in Italian so I'll switch it to the Italian and read the English subs. I wonder how many people will complain and enrage Bill if he hasn't included the Italian soundtracks or English subs for the track.

Most films i won't listen to the Italian soundtracks but sometimes its a lot better than the dub and I think they should be included if possible for those who enjoy there movies that way
JAMIOUSE, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 7th August 2016, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post

There has to be a choice, as you say. Often the actors spoke their own language during filming then the movies were overdubbed at the post production stage. I always spend the first ten minutes of these films flicking between soundtracks to figure out which is most suitable.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There has to be a choice, as you say. Often the actors spoke their own language during filming then the movies were overdubbed at the post production stage. I always spend the first ten minutes of these films flicking between soundtracks to figure out which is most suitable.
Same here, but I would also watch the film in its entirety with each language track because there of how different scenes are dominated by different actors and you don't always know which language track is going to be best for the whole of the film based on the opening 10 minutes.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Same here, but I would also watch the film in its entirety with each language track because there of how different scenes are dominated by different actors and you don't always know which language track is going to be best for the whole of the film based on the opening 10 minutes.
Another thing i do is run the sub track alongside the English dub. That way you can tell how much of the dialogue is missing from the subs. Quite often it's a scary amount.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another thing i do is run the sub track alongside the English dub. That way you can tell how much of the dialogue is missing from the subs. Quite often it's a scary amount.
I've done that before and while the dialogue in the English language version is total nonsense in the Italian version with English subs can be quite a different scene! Burial Ground in Italian is a very different experience to the English dub, it's still an awful film but it's a lot more serious in Italian.
g053584398 and Deadite like this.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Subs in some films amuse me, when youre watching a japanese or chinese films its like what they say seems to take ages, but two words appear on screen, then they say what sounds like one word and a whole essay appears on screen.
Old 7th August 2016, 11:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

I used to watch only in the country of origin dub, however, as has been mentioned with Italian cult-style movies they never seem to shoot dialogue on set and dub it in later in post, so in reality we're watching a 'dubbed' version whatever we choose, although I'll always check out the Italian track I find myself looking to see if the actors are speaking English (Argento's films for example*) then I default to English track.

* to my eyes Opera is an example of Argento shooting in English with the Italian dub not matching the actors words on screen.
Old 7th August 2016, 11:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I used to watch only in the country of origin dub, however, as has been mentioned with Italian cult-style movies they never seem to shoot dialogue on set and dub it in later in post, so in reality we're watching a 'dubbed' version whatever we choose, although I'll always check out the Italian track I find myself looking to see if the actors are speaking English (Argento's films for example*) then I default to English track.

* to my eyes Opera is an example of Argento shooting in English with the Italian dub not matching the actors words on screen.
Yeah but the English dub for Opera is terrible, and in Deep Red for instance, Clara Calamai is speaking Italian so neither dub is going to match everyone's lips.
Old 8th August 2016, 10:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Yeah but the English dub for Opera is terrible, and in Deep Red for instance, Clara Calamai is speaking Italian so neither dub is going to match everyone's lips.
It doesn't make the Italian language track any more authentic. Unless you speak fluent Italian who knows what they are saying. Besides with Deep Red i'd go with whatever language Hemmings the star is speaking rather than another character's mother.
keirarts and platostotal like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!