Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree709Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2014, 10:49 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great to see it getting the BD treatment!

Great choice of cover art as well!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th December 2014, 12:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
So who else picked up the classic SHOCK WAVES on Blu?

How does Shock Waves look on blu much in the way if extras?
Old 14th December 2014, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm definitely going to be picking up both at some point.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?
Old 15th December 2014, 05:00 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?
The film was shot on 16mm to create a deliberately grainy look, hopefully with BU doing the transfer it isn't going to have the annoying grain filtering of some recent cult releases.

The film itself is quite understated - although stemming from the 70s, it eschews the blood and guts of the contemporary Eurocult films in favour of characterisation and atmosphere.

I reviewed it some time ago - Shock Waves.
Old 16th December 2014, 10:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?
Old 16th December 2014, 11:24 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?
It's never been cut in the UK. The theatrical release was only rated an 'A' (PG) and on home video got pushed up to a 15 for some reason. Mind you, it was rated 15 for home video at the height of the James Bulger/Child's Play debacle, which might account for its harsher rating at this time, as the BBFC were having a hissy fit over horror films at this point in time.
Old 16th December 2014, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.
Old 16th December 2014, 12:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.
Only recently I started to order off Diabolik I never had any problems with them very fast getting the stuff too me.
Old 16th December 2014, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Only problem I had with them is the box of my Cannibal Holocaust BD being crushed, but after a brief exchange of emails with Jason, I was sent a replacement box free of charge.

I upgraded my BU NYR to BD months ago and it's still sat sealed on my shelf, so I can't comment on the upgrade itself, but it did arrive without any customs issues (from All Your Music if I remember correctly)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!