Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Blue Underground Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/175-blue-underground-thread.html)

snipsmovies 13th March 2008 02:05 PM

Blue Underground Thread

Just being nosey, but.......

Almar mentioned a while back about the current climate in DVD retail - especially with regard to 'niche' labels - being excruciatingly difficult. Just been to Blue Underground's website and I noticed they have relaunched it as well as noticing their half decent release schedule for the next few months.

Is this a last push from them, or is there actually some life in the old dog yet ?

RobbieD 13th March 2008 03:04 PM

They've got New York Ripper coming soon! No extras though. I read a while back that Blue Underground are soon to be releasing titles on Blu-ray, that's the best news I've heard in a long time! :p

Absurd 16th March 2008 08:05 AM

Blu-Ray eh? Let's hope they're region free then like some of the BCI releases :)

EidolonFilms 16th March 2008 09:25 AM

i remember reading somewhere last year that Bill Lustig was bored with Blue Underground, and saying that he'd released pretty much everything that he'd wanted to. As a result of this he was either thinking about closing the company, or leaving it. Nothing to do with sales.
Hopefully the new Blu-Ray thing will have overturned that.
New York Ripper? Uncut and anamorphic this time hopefully, with the footage that was missing (included in the Italian Shock release) re-instated I hope.

RobbieD 16th March 2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absurd (Post 1854)
Blu-Ray eh? Let's hope they're region free then like some of the BCI releases :)

Yeah I'm gonna cry if they're not! haha :( I was glad the Anchor Bay Blurays were region free so I imported Halloween, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead and they look fantastic!

Absurd 16th March 2008 07:10 PM

On the subject of Blu-Rays, if there's anyone out there tempted to buy the region free Paul Naschy double bill Night of The Werewolf and Vengeance of The Zombies from BCI, DON'T. The picture quality is absolutely shit, with washed out colours and terrible artifacting, buy the DVD release instead as it looks 100x better with nice deep blacks and a nice sharp image.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th March 2008 08:21 PM

Hopefully BU will keep going,as they're a pivotal company when it comes to cult faves:cool:

EidolonFilms 18th March 2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absurd (Post 1864)
On the subject of Blu-Rays, if there's anyone out there tempted to buy the region free Paul Naschy double bill Night of The Werewolf and Vengeance of The Zombies from BCI, DON'T. The picture quality is absolutely shit, with washed out colours and terrible artifacting, buy the DVD release instead as it looks 100x better with nice deep blacks and a nice sharp image.

Thanks for the warning. I was going for the Blu-Ray actually. Hope BCI do a better job for other stuff.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2014 03:37 PM

I thought i'd resurrect this thread after six years. :shocked: :lol:

If i'm not mistaken Blue Underground have released ONE new film in around eighteen months - Grand Duel starring Lee Van Cleef.

Ok they've reissued stuff on Blu, but are they dead in the water now as far as new material is concerned?

Daemonia 15th January 2014 03:43 PM

Dem, did you miss the Maniac Cop 2 and 3 Blu-ray releases from them recently?

They've also put out Snuff on Blu and are in the process of putting together another 4 films on Blu. Not quite dead in the water yet. I, for one, am glad they're re-issuing titles on Blu. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 387451)
Dem, did you miss the Maniac Cop 2 and 3 Blu-ray releases from them recently?

They've also put out Snuff on Blu and are in the process of putting together another 4 films on Blu. Not quite dead in the water yet. I, for one, am glad they're re-issuing titles on Blu. :)

Sorry yeah i forgot the MC releases.

Then again three NEW films in 18 months is hardly prolific. They seem to be on life support regarding new material rather than dead in the water, especially when you consider the amount of NEW material Code Red, Vinegar and Scorpion are releasing.

BU used to be my fave company a few years ago.

JAMIOUSE 15th January 2014 08:09 PM

I think it's all down to economics with a lot of these companies and avaliable materials. As many unreleased titles don't have know masters or if they have masters there in terrible condition.

Paul@TheOverlook 15th January 2014 10:00 PM

MANIAC COP 2 looks and sounds awesome on Blu-ray. A proper stellar job.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2014 10:48 PM

Have there been any statements from BU about the lack of new films at all or the direction they are taking in the future?

Just wondered as some other label bosses never shut up. :lol:

Paul@TheOverlook 16th January 2014 12:14 AM

Unofficially, someone I know went out for dinner with Bill Lustig and he bemoaned the state of the intustry, etc, etc. This was over a year ago and there had been a lull but things seem to be picking up again for BU. Let's hope there's more to come.

Vampix 16th January 2014 12:09 PM

I'd like to see them put out Hell of the Living Dead, Nightmare City, Contamination and Mark of the Devil onto Blu. :nod:

trebor8273 16th January 2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 387583)
I'd like to see them put out Hell of the Living Dead, Nightmare City, Contamination and Mark of the Devil onto Blu. :nod:

Nightmare city is never going to happen as raro have bought it out for America and arrow are bringing it out later here.

They are bringing hell of the living dead later this year in a double pack with the rats night of terror

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th January 2014 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Pete 16th January 2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387584)
Nightmare city is never going to happen as raro have bought it out for America and arrow are bring out later here. They are bringing hell of the living dead later this year in a double pack with the rats night of terror

Arrow are also doing Mark of the Devil :)

trebor8273 16th January 2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 387590)

Great news I must of missed when they announced that one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387591)
Great news I must of missed when the announced that one.

They haven't officially announced it as of yet. I was asking Michael Brooke about it on the Arrow thread and he said there's no details yet as to when it will be out.

Pete 16th January 2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 387591)
Great news I must of missed when they announced that one.

It's due out sometime this year. No date has been set though.

The Video Deck: How to make an Arrow Video: Acquisition

Boo Radley 16th January 2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 387590)

The Turbine Media release will take a bit of beating!
Does anyone know if Arrow's version will be uncut or the hacked by the BBFGestapo version? :confused:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 387653)
The Turbine Media release will take a bit of beating!
Does anyone know if Arrow's version will be uncut or the hacked by the BBFGestapo version? :confused:

Uncut. :nod:

Boo Radley 16th January 2014 05:29 PM

Ohhh! Surprised! Jolly good! They did put out a stonking version of TCSM 2 so this might be worth a punt. :decision:

xombi87 26th April 2014 10:38 PM

I don't know if they still have rights to it or not, but I'd like to see a Blu ray of Shock Waves. Though i wonder could they really improve the picture quality with it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th April 2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xombi87 (Post 401509)
I don't know if they still have rights to it or not, but I'd like to see a Blu ray of Shock Waves. Though i wonder could they really improve the picture quality with it?

The dvd was / is very grainy. As you say, could they improve the quality?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So who else picked up the classic SHOCK WAVES on Blu?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUemv6hW2S8

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone buying GOD TOLD ME TO?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGL9Si2loco

Antropophagus 14th December 2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 428573)
Anyone buying GOD TOLD ME TO?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGL9Si2loco

Of course, wonderful movie!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 10:49 AM

Great to see it getting the BD treatment!

Great choice of cover art as well!

Nordicdusk 14th December 2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 428572)
So who else picked up the classic SHOCK WAVES on Blu?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUemv6hW2S8

How does Shock Waves look on blu much in the way if extras?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2014 12:57 PM

I'm definitely going to be picking up both at some point.

Vampix 15th December 2014 11:50 AM

I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?

R-T-C Tim 15th December 2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 428647)
I've always meant to pick up Shock Waves as I have memories of seeing the big, dusty VHS box in my local video shop during the pre-cert days, and seeing the Vipco VHS re-release with the cool cover art during the 90s. For some reason I never got round to getting it though. Is it worth a blind buy, and if so, is there much of a difference (in terms of PQ) between the DVD and Blu-ray?

The film was shot on 16mm to create a deliberately grainy look, hopefully with BU doing the transfer it isn't going to have the annoying grain filtering of some recent cult releases.

The film itself is quite understated - although stemming from the 70s, it eschews the blood and guts of the contemporary Eurocult films in favour of characterisation and atmosphere.

I reviewed it some time ago - Shock Waves.

Dave Boy 16th December 2014 10:54 AM

I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?

Daemonia 16th December 2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 428755)
I gotta see Shock Waves again. The last I saw it was years ago on VHS on the Vipco label. Was that cut back then ?

It's never been cut in the UK. The theatrical release was only rated an 'A' (PG) and on home video got pushed up to a 15 for some reason. Mind you, it was rated 15 for home video at the height of the James Bulger/Child's Play debacle, which might account for its harsher rating at this time, as the BBFC were having a hissy fit over horror films at this point in time.

Vampix 16th December 2014 12:33 PM

I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Nordicdusk 16th December 2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 428762)
I've been wanting to replace my old region free Anchor Bay DVD of The New York Ripper for a while now, so have decided to buy the Blue Underground Blu-ray from Diabolik DVD. It's my first time ordering from this company as it was difficult to get hold of a new copy of NYR from Amazon UK. Is Diabolik a reliable company? And if my parcel gets opened by UK customs is there a chance it could get seized? I know there's only a few seconds cut from the UK release but when it comes to Fulci, I only buy uncut.

Only recently I started to order off Diabolik I never had any problems with them very fast getting the stuff too me.

Rik 16th December 2014 12:43 PM

Only problem I had with them is the box of my Cannibal Holocaust BD being crushed, but after a brief exchange of emails with Jason, I was sent a replacement box free of charge.

I upgraded my BU NYR to BD months ago and it's still sat sealed on my shelf, so I can't comment on the upgrade itself, but it did arrive without any customs issues (from All Your Music if I remember correctly)