Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
apparently there was a lot of controversy, especially in America, regarding the colour timing on the Lionsgate; they didn't like the blue tint, as US cinema showings didn't have it and also had more pumped colours, therefore Warner are going to tweak the colour timing and do some extra clean-up on their release.
I didn't know this.

So we've got the BFI restoration and the Hammer restoration from 2012 and Warner don't like them. Surely Hammer know how their film should look? I just can't see it being wrong especially when you look at all the experts on the subject who had a hand in the restorations.

Perhaps Warner could get George Lucas to tweak them a bit as well. Add a few dancing mice or something.
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't know this.

So we've got the BFI restoration and the Hammer restoration from 2012 and Warner don't like them. Surely Hammer know how their film should look? I just can't see it being wrong especially when you look at all the experts on the subject who had a hand in the restorations.

Perhaps Warner could get George Lucas to tweak them a bit as well. Add a few dancing mice or something.
i think a lot of this is down to nostalgia rather than how the film originally looked on its UK premier or the intentions of the filmmakers. as i understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Hammer restoration was made with reference to an archive interpositive which i think is the closest surviving source to the original negative.

as an industry insider i wonder if Michael Brooke has a view, or could shed some light on what has become a major talking point, at least among American fans.
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The BFI restoration was 2007 so it will be the same as the Lionsgate UK blu i presume.
Dunno mate.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jar-jar-binks.jpg (41.0 KB, 4 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:21 PM
Cult Master

Has this been mentioned?

Amazon US - Dracula: Prince Of Darkness - release date December 18th, 2018 - Pre-order $29.99

Promotional Material

Four English tourists find themselves stranded in the mysterious village of Karlsbad, a sinister and remote place with a deadly, dark legend. Their journey leads them to an abandoned castle where a nightmarish destiny awaits them: an evil in need of resurrection, a blood-craving beast known only as Count Dracula, Prince of Darkness (Christopher Lee, The Lord Of The Rings films, Wicker Man). Released in 1966, this film presents the legendary Lee's second outing as Dracula, with Hammer Films pushing the cinematic boundaries of graphic gore and terror.

Bonus Features
  • Two Versions! The UK Version And The U.S. Version
  • NEW 4K Scan Of The Interpositive Of The US Version From The 20th Century Fox Vaults
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Author Troy Howarth
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Constantine Nasr And Writer/Producer Steve Haberman
  • Audio Commentary With Cast Members Christopher Lee, Suzan Farmer, Francis Matthews, And Barbara Shelley
  • World Of Hammer Episode "Dracula And The Undead"
  • Back To Black -- The Making Of Dracula: Prince Of Darkness
  • Super 8mm Behind-The-Scenes Footage
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Still Gallery
Demoncrat and markchro like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hopefully getting a UK release too?

PH?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91+WJbSIDpL._SL1500_.jpg (95.5 KB, 9 views)
Demoncrat and markchro like this.

Old 4th April 2019, 11:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Hopefully getting a UK release too?

PH?
yes, supposedly the jewel in the crown of the next PH Hammer boxset. however, i suspect this one is taking its time because of a lack of suitable elements. all previous releases have been substandard on PQ. it'll be interesting to see a review of the this release to see if any improvement has been made?
Old 4th April 2019, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
yes, supposedly the jewel in the crown of the next PH Hammer boxset. however, i suspect this one is taking its time because of a lack of suitable elements. all previous releases have been substandard on PQ. it'll be interesting to see a review of the this release to see if any improvement has been made?
Substandard picture quality? Are you kidding?

You see those eyes in the last grab i just took from the Columbia dvd? You need those to replace yours which are obviously locked in some sort of UHD 4K haze.

The grabs aren't upscaled either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00001.jpg (87.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpg (83.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00003.jpg (38.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004.jpg (89.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00005.jpg (41.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00006.jpg (75.6 KB, 9 views)
g053584398 and Dave Boy like this.
Old 4th April 2019, 02:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

well admittedly it's a long time since I saw the DVD but I remember it being quite dull looking, with poor detail and some obvious signs of wear.

here is a review of the Mill Creek blu which I believe uses the same elements. They might have been ok for standard def but as you can see from the screen grabs they are not great rendered in HD. There is the caveat of course that Mill Creek are shit at transfers and I'd expect PH to do a much better job with the same elements if that is all they have to work with.

Hammer Film Double Feature - Revenge of Frankenstein & The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb Blu-ray
Old 4th April 2019, 02:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
well admittedly it's a long time since I saw the DVD but I remember it being quite dull looking, with poor detail and some obvious signs of wear.

here is a review of the Mill Creek blu which I believe uses the same elements. They might have been ok for standard def but as you can see from the screen grabs they are not great rendered in HD. There is the caveat of course that Mill Creek are shit at transfers and I'd expect PH to do a much better job with the same elements if that is all they have to work with.

Hammer Film Double Feature - Revenge of Frankenstein & The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb Blu-ray
Those BD screen grabs look worse than the DVD ones i did. That first one of Cushing is awful. They aren't sharp look more like chalk.

It's Mill Creek though. I doubt they do any restoration. They certainly didn't for their dvd sets. Some films looked good but others were almost unwatchable.
Rob4 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!