Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2022, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Signal One are releasing The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires on blu-ray. No other details yet.

Attachment 242097
Attachment 242098
Interesting! Where has this information come from? I couldn't see anything in the S1 thread on Blurage. Seems remarkable that Signal One can get a Warner title whilst all other labels have tried and failed...

Great news though!
Old 9th September 2022, 08:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Signal One are releasing The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires on blu-ray. No other details yet.

Attachment 242097
Attachment 242098
Lovely!
Old 10th September 2022, 06:06 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Interesting! Where has this information come from? I couldn't see anything in the S1 thread on Blurage. Seems remarkable that Signal One can get a Warner title whilst all other labels have tried and failed...

Great news though!

It's from their Facebook page. They ran a poll with titles they have access to and announced some of the titles that they've chosen.

IMG_5211.jpg
Old 10th September 2022, 10:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't hold your breath on Legend. Signal One announced Pony Express two years ago - i know as i have it on pre-order - and it still hasn't come out.

It was supposed to be released summer 21 then pushed back to March this year and then there's been nothing since.
Old 16th November 2022, 09:32 AM
Cultist

There have been no posts in this thread in a while, and this is not quite about Hammer, but about Tyburn (let's call it Hammer-adjacent?).

I found this information in another forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=649 (dated 2018) while trying to find if Masks of Death was released in BR (apparently not!) and was wondering if anyone here knows any news about it?

I would absolutely love to watch a proper print of Cushing's "Masks of Death" or "The Ghoul".

Someone needs to make this Kevin Francis "an offer he can't refuse"

Last edited by Nuno_Miranda; 16th November 2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 16th November 2022, 03:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
There have been no posts in this thread in a while, and this is not quite about Hammer, but about Tyburn (let's call it Hammer-adjacent?).

I found this information in another forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=649 (dated 2018) while trying to find if Masks of Death was released in BR (apparently not!) and was wondering if anyone here knows any news about it?

I would absolutely love to watch a proper print of Cushing's "Masks of Death" or "The Ghoul".

Someone needs to make this Kevin Francis "an offer he can't refuse"
Seeing as the post was from nearly five years ago i think you can safely assume it was fake news.

At least one would have been released by now you'd think.
Old 16th November 2022, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Eyebrows were raised sky-high in the boutique label biz when that announcement was originally made, because nobody seemed to know anything - and this is a very small world indeed.

So either it was someone new to the industry who hadn't yet grasped the concept of the commercially realistic licensing fee, or it was cobblers.

Four years later, I know which I'd pick.
Old 16th November 2022, 04:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Eyebrows were raised sky-high in the boutique label biz when that announcement was originally made, because nobody seemed to know anything - and this is a very small world indeed.

So either it was someone new to the industry who hadn't yet grasped the concept of the commercially realistic licensing fee, or it was cobblers.

Four years later, I know which I'd pick.
The shoe repairer option.
Nuno_Miranda likes this.
Old 17th November 2022, 11:18 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Seeing as the post was from nearly five years ago i think you can safely assume it was fake news.

At least one would have been released by now you'd think.
Yes, that's what I thought too, but thought I'd ask. You never know, they might be in production or something like that. From those 5 years we can take 2 out for the pandemic, where everything just stopped, and 2-3 years to prepare the materiais is not too much. We don't even kow in what condition the negatives are...
Old 17th November 2022, 11:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda View Post
Yes, that's what I thought too, but thought I'd ask. You never know, they might be in production or something like that. From those 5 years we can take 2 out for the pandemic, where everything just stopped, and 2-3 years to prepare the materiais is not too much. We don't even kow in what condition the negatives are...
Sorry, but it simply doesn't take that long to make a film releasable unless it presents really unusual restoration challenges, and I'd be surprised if this was the case here. In fact, it's far more likely that the negatives are in superb condition, since they'll barely have been touched in decades, for much the same reason that BFI Flipside titles generally look terrific. And since Francis is the original producer of the films, he'll have had every incentive to store them properly.

Unless there are unforeseen rights complications or the label decides to wait for a third-party restoration that they didn't know about at the time of the original announcement (Indicator's Revenge of Frankenstein, for instance), it usually takes only a few months between teaser and release - not least because the label will most likely have only taken out a standard licence of between five and seven years - and if they paid over the odds, they'll have even more incentive to get it out ASAP.

Also, things didn't "just stop" during the pandemic. Labels had to rejig their schedules, but if Indicator could carry on working on the Pemini and Michael J. Murphy collections throughout (both of which posed far bigger materials and restoration challenges than the Tyburn films most likely would), this still unknown label* shouldn't have been interrupted too badly. Certainly nothing like two years, anyway.

(*For me, this is the clincher - the Tyburn films come up again and again in casual pub conversations with industry friends, and to this day nobody seems to know who was behind that announcement. This is pretty much unheard of: even if I'm sworn to secrecy at the time, I can usually find out which label is connected to a particular rumour, because this is a tiny world where everyone knows each other.)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!