Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2011, 12:52 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Except Captain Kronos and the cut Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell, which i sold, and is the reason for me ordering Kronos again.
Just been checking Roobarb's forum and the general consensus is that these new Icon releases are piss poor and a major step down from the DD ones. Worse prints and Captain Kronos is apparently fullscreen!
Old 12th September 2011, 11:00 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
Just been checking Roobarb's forum and the general consensus is that these new Icon releases are piss poor and a major step down from the DD ones. Worse prints and Captain Kronos is apparently fullscreen!
Just read the same forum. Doesn't sound good.

However i watched X-The Unknown on Saturday night and the image quality isn't as bad as the screen grabs made out. There was bits of print damage but nothing that made it unwatchable. Never seen the DD disc of this title. I am happy with the Icon release due to the price and the main problem being that the film itself is dull and it s doubtfull i will ever watch it again.

Just one to complete the collection.
Old 12th September 2011, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hammer did notice the complainst and here's what they've said today on FB:

Well done to eagle-eyed fans who spotted something amiss with the Captain Kronos DVD. The wrong version was pressed. Apologies. More soon...

With regards the discrepancies between the new Icon discs and the old DD discs, several of the DD restored masters were lost. Details: BBC NEWS | England | London | Residents allowed out after fire

And...

Again, we'd suggest that anyone unhappy with their purchases of the recent Icon DVD releases of classic Hammer titles also comments on Icon's facebook page, or contacts them direct.

And...

More mistakes with the Icon discs... original certs on The Abominable Snowman & Captain Kronos are indeed wrong. Well spotted all who did so. Wrong covers were printed.
And finally (so far) the "wrong" master of The Quatermass Ex/X-periment was authored and pressed so film and cover don't tally (as spotted).
Old 12th September 2011, 09:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I have sorted my Captain Kronos problem.

I am giving it to a mate as part of a Christmas present, unopened of course.

I ordered this from Play.com this afternoon - £9.99 delivered. I have the rest of the films, already but not all the extra episodes of World of Hammer and other special features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41qQ7uJ8huL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 12th September 2011, 09:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Hammer did notice the complainst and here's what they've said today on FB:

Well done to eagle-eyed fans who spotted something amiss with the Captain Kronos DVD. The wrong version was pressed. Apologies. More soon...

With regards the discrepancies between the new Icon discs and the old DD discs, several of the DD restored masters were lost. Details: BBC NEWS | England | London | Residents allowed out after fire

And...

Again, we'd suggest that anyone unhappy with their purchases of the recent Icon DVD releases of classic Hammer titles also comments on Icon's facebook page, or contacts them direct.

And...

More mistakes with the Icon discs... original certs on The Abominable Snowman & Captain Kronos are indeed wrong. Well spotted all who did so. Wrong covers were printed.
And finally (so far) the "wrong" master of The Quatermass Ex/X-periment was authored and pressed so film and cover don't tally (as spotted).
I don't know, there are just too many balls ups and the fire seems to be a convenient excuse, without wanting to be too light about something like that. There are other releases around the world and other masters. It's basically all an extreme lack of effort and quality control on Icon's part.

These films should be national treasures and they've been quite horrifically treated in an age where producing a satisfactory DVD of something which has a usable master somewhere in the world should be second nature. Seriously, some of the errors that seem to have occured are quite childish.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I have sorted my Captain Kronos problem.

I am giving it to a mate as part of a Christmas present, unopened of course.

I ordered this from Play.com this afternoon - £9.99 delivered. I have the rest of the films, already but not all the extra episodes of World of Hammer and other special features.

That is a great price - £2 per film! I have those sets myself and they are excellent.

It is very bad news about the Icon releases, but at least they do seem to be listening to the fans which I suppose is something.

By the way, which forum were the reviews on? I have done a google search but can't find anything.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
By the way, which forum were the reviews on? I have done a google search but can't find anything.
Hammer DVD Guide
dream demon likes this.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Warner Archive released Freddie Francis' HYSTERIA today:

http://www.wbshop.com/Hysteria-1965/...gid=ARCHIVENEW

Always good to have more Hammer, even if it's not top-tier quality.

When an auto accident robs Chris Smith (Robert Webber) of his memory, his only link to the past is a torn photo of a beautiful woman. Tracking down the photographer, he discovers the model was killed six months earlier, stabbed to death in her shower. But when he's repeatedly awakened by a woman's screams and later finds her dead body in his bathroom, the question frighteningly arises: is Chris a killer gone insane or a pawn in a well-planned murder? Stylishly directed by Academy Award®-winning* cinematographer Freddie Francis from an original screenplay by the legendary Jimmy Sangster, Hysteria is Hammer Studios meets Hitchcock on a suspenseful high wire!
Old 14th September 2011, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

It's officially official! Lost DRACULA footage really exists and will eventually get released! Cheers to Mr. LeStrange!

Dracula Resurrected! - Hammer
Old 14th September 2011, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
It's officially official! Lost DRACULA footage really exists and will eventually get released! Cheers to Mr. LeStrange!

Dracula Resurrected! - Hammer
Fantastic news!

Like this? Share it using the links below!