Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2016, 02:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Viking Queen, Vengeance of She, and Prehistoric Women are the only one's i didn't enjoy in the box set. The Witches and Straight on Till Morning are a bit average as well, but they do have some merit.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 4th April 2016, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've had this box set for years, and I've not watched a single disc from it in all of that time

Yesterday I picked it up and had a look through it and I'd forgotten about all the good films in it;

'She' (1965), 'The Nanny' (1965), 'One Million Years BC' (1966), 'The Plague of the Zombies' (1966), 'The Witches' (1966), 'Rasputin the Mad Monk' (1966), 'The Reptile (1966), 'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966), 'Quatermass and the Pit' (1967), 'Prehistoric Women' (1967), 'The Viking Queen' (1967), 'Frankenstein Created Woman' (1967), 'The Vengeance of She' (1968), 'The Devil Rides Out' (1968), 'The Horror of Frankenstein' (1970), 'Scars of Dracula' (1970), 'To the Devil a Daughter' (1976), 'Blood from the Mummy's Tomb' (1971), 'Demons of the Mind' (1972), 'Fear in the Night' (1972) and 'Straight on Till Morning' (1972).

Should I just start from disc 1 and go through until I reach the end or do you all think there is a better, or more interesting way to go about it. I have to admit I have only seen probably about half of these.
If i was going to watch it, and obviously i'm saying this with hindsight as i've seen all the films multiple times, then the running order would be something like this.

A good start with some classic films -

'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966)
'The Plague of the Zombies' (1966)
The Witches' (1966)
Frankenstein Created Woman' (1967)
To the Devil a Daughter' (1976)

Watch some of the historical / thriller ones before and after the following middle section -

The Horror of Frankenstein' (1970)
'The Reptile (1966)
Scars of Dracula' (1970)
'Demons of the Mind' (1972)

Then finish up with these classics, saving the best till last.

Fear in the Night' (1972)
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb' (1971)
Quatermass and the Pit' (1967)
The Devil Rides Out' (1968)
Old 4th April 2016, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran

That's helpful/inspiring
I'm going to make a start this evening after I've finished studying.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th April 2016, 03:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's helpful/inspiring
I'm going to make a start this evening after I've finished studying.
I envy you, i really do. Seeing all those films for the first time.

I hope you appreciate them as much as i and other members do. Some are better than others and as has been mentioned the historical ones aren't as good as the horror films. The Vengeance of She is truly shit, She isn't much better. Both well made but so, so boring.

Hope you share your views on them with us.
Old 4th April 2016, 06:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've also seen them several times and the one which stands out as one I'd want to watch now is The Nanny. That film really screwed up my mind the first time I saw it and which benefits from repeated viewings, especially if there is a long gap between them.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I really like The Witches. Other than The Devil Rides Out and Quatermass and the Pit, my fave film of the set. "Give me a skin for dancing in." *Shudder*

I remember buying that set for about £30 in HMV. Dunno whether that was a good deal or not.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran

It sells for around £60 so that was a good price, I think that's how much I paid too.
keirarts and Deadite like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th September 2016, 11:04 AM
Cult Master

"Just heard this:

Studiocanal and Emfoundation are delighted to announce the release of a brand-new 4k restoration to mark the 50th anniversary of the Hammer classic ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. The spectacular prehistoric adventure, which gave the world the most iconic bikini shot of all time, and made a star of fur-clad Raquel Welch will be released on Doubleplay on October 24th 2016.

Billed as the 100th production from the legendary Hammer production house, the highlight of the film was without doubt the stop-motion dinosaur animation by legendary special effects animator Ray Harryhausen. The result was Hammer’s biggest commercial success, and the big screen's most famous dinosaur epic right up until the release of Jurassic Park 26 years later.

This release contains exclusive artwork from the Harryhausen foundation, and will reveal fully for the first time detailed notes and storyboard for an unfilmed Brontosaurus sequence, which was originally planned as the film's dramatic climax, along with other brand new extras. Please see press release below for further info.

We are confirming availabilities of Raquel Welch and Martine Beswick for press, and have confirmed the availability of filmmaker and trustee of the Harryhausen Foundation, John Walsh."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th October 2016, 05:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7487_tn.jpg (98.3 KB, 7 views)
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th October 2016, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Music Magpie currently have Demons of the Mind on dvd for £1.99 delivered.

It's used but in comparison you won't get a used copy for under a fiver on Amazon.

If you don't know it, the film is a bit of an overlooked gem. Recommended.

Demons Of The Mind [DVD] [1971] - DVD - musicMagpie Store

MacBlayne, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!