Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2011, 10:38 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Haven't Midnight Legacy only released one thing so far?
Old 6th August 2011, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yup!
Old 6th August 2011, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlink73 View Post
I am very happy with my Arrow too, I don't know if I would buy another edition, well maybe if the extras are really good and unique but I doubt we have much room for picture improvement as the Arrow looks fine to me. It had some mixed reviews but I don't care how it looks on the reviewers equipment, it looks great on mine and that counts.....

Agree 100% - it looks fantastic to me; I can't imagine how it could look much better, just maybe different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Haven't Midnight Legacy only released one thing so far?
That must be why I have never heard of them, then.
Old 6th August 2011, 01:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Midnight Legacy released the Italian ALIEN cash in ALIEN 2 (aka ALIEN TERROR) on blu-ray and it looked superb. Pity the film wasn't. They have promised to release some obscure Italian exploitation movies on BD (including some Mattei!) but they seem to be taking forever to do so.

The guy who run's ML is very critical of other companies BD releases, especially Shriek Show, and lot of these bloggers suck up to him by bashing SS and then posting their 'review' on ML's FB page so they can get a pat on the head. Good boy!
Old 6th August 2011, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Midnight Legacy released the Italian ALIEN cash in ALIEN 2 (aka ALIEN TERROR) on blu-ray and it looked superb. Pity the film wasn't. They have promised to release some obscure Italian exploitation movies on BD (including some Mattei!) but they seem to be taking forever to do so.

The guy who run's ML is very critical of other companies BD releases, especially Shriek Show, and lot of these bloggers suck up to him by bashing SS and then posting their 'review' on ML's FB page so they can get a pat on the head. Good boy!
Oh, that was them was it. I did actually have that pre-ordered but had to cancel when I lost my job a few months ago.

Personally I think it's pretty bad form to be slagging off other companies, especially when they don't really deserve it eg. Arrow, Shriek Show etc. especially when they are - imho - doing a great job.
Old 6th August 2011, 03:47 PM
Cult Addict

in fairness to midnight legacy, they have put there money where their mouth is so to speak and their alien 2 does look bloody marvelous.

I agree that its unprofessionl to trash other companies ala camera obscura, though I had some reservations regarding the one media blasters blu i owned, versus. Which looked nowhere near up to what it could be, but then the dvd looked inferior to the brit tartan release.

I think whats funniest about the whole thing was the amazon forums, where some of the more extreme 'critics' were already lauding camera obscuras release, in spite of never having seen it!
Old 6th August 2011, 11:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
in fairness to midnight legacy, they have put there money where their mouth is so to speak and their alien 2 does look bloody marvelous.

I agree that its unprofessionl to trash other companies ala camera obscura, though I had some reservations regarding the one media blasters blu i owned, versus. Which looked nowhere near up to what it could be, but then the dvd looked inferior to the brit tartan release.

I think whats funniest about the whole thing was the amazon forums, where some of the more extreme 'critics' were already lauding camera obscuras release, in spite of never having seen it!

The Amazon "reviews" are hillarious....I noticed the trend to bash Arrow especially on Amazon....in fairness I own quite a few Arrow discs and never had any reason to complain, the only let down for me was Tenebre but hit and miss happens with all major labels too....Predator comes to mind....
Old 7th August 2011, 06:03 AM
Cult Addict

As i've said elswhere, blu-ray is a new format, and mistakes will happen. I would class bwtcp as a worse release than tenebrae, not arrows fault at all but storaros. Tenebrae has issues but it dosent look a whole lot worse than the vaunted french wild side release. The weirdest one is Bay of blood, from the screen caps the arrow release does indeed look like it lacks the vivid colors of the dvd, but then I watched the film and the screen caps didn't represent the quality of the film at all.

This, along with the great reviews for maniac, a film I felt didn't benefit from blu-ray at all has made me seriously question some of these comparison sites.
Old 7th August 2011, 06:40 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
As i've said elswhere, blu-ray is a new format, and mistakes will happen. I would class bwtcp as a worse release than tenebrae, not arrows fault at all but storaros. Tenebrae has issues but it dosent look a whole lot worse than the vaunted french wild side release. The weirdest one is Bay of blood, from the screen caps the arrow release does indeed look like it lacks the vivid colors of the dvd, but then I watched the film and the screen caps didn't represent the quality of the film at all.

This, along with the great reviews for maniac, a film I felt didn't benefit from blu-ray at all has made me seriously question some of these comparison sites.
100% agree, I couldn't care less about the comparison sites. The screens of Tenebre look much worse than in motion that's true but having both discs I must say the Wild Side looks far better in my eyes...then again it comes down to ones personal taste. I remember looking for a Phenomena DVD years ago and checked screens, I actually went to buy the one that fared the worst according to the "experts" as I thought the screens looked by far better than he wanted to make us believe.

I skip BWTCP as I despise a wrong ratio on any medium, so I stay with the US disc, I know this is not Arrows fault and I feel sorry that they got all the blame when it comes down to Storaro. Bay OF Blood looks good to me actually and the screens don't even come near the looks of the Blu Ray in motion.

Sometimes I wonder if some "experts" tamper with the screens to please their favourites?
Old 7th August 2011, 06:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlink73 View Post
The Amazon "reviews" are hillarious....I noticed the trend to bash Arrow especially on Amazon....in fairness I own quite a few Arrow discs and never had any reason to complain, the only let down for me was Tenebre but hit and miss happens with all major labels too....Predator comes to mind....
Ex members, with grudges usually....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!