Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2011, 06:54 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Ex members, with grudges usually....
How old are these guys?
Seriously, don't they have anything else to do than wait for the next release just to trash it and call everyone who likes it a "fanboy"? As I said I am more than happy with my discs so if that makes me a fanboy, so be it....
Old 7th August 2011, 01:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
This, along with the great reviews for maniac, a film I felt didn't benefit from blu-ray at all has made me seriously question some of these comparison sites.
I only ever really use comparison sites to assess which releases are cut/uncut and to check that a film is in the correct ratio. They're handy for info like that. But, like you say, I wouldn't really trust them on judgments of quality. I prefer to assess that myself by buying the film and watching it myself. There's numerous examples where review sites have trashed a release that I thought was perfectly fine. Under Siege is a prime example, several review sites state that it's a sub-standard transfer, but undeterred I picked it up anyway. I thought it looked absolutely stunning and wondered what these reviewers were carping on about, it blows the old DVD out of the water.
Old 7th August 2011, 03:38 PM
Cult Addict

i'm still mystified by the hatred of the predator blu-ray. Watched in on my mates 40" and it looked supurb, checked the reviews and people were ripping in to it.

I suspect a lot of the online comparison sites are wannabee film journalists looking to make a name by trashing someones efforts, its easier to do that than praise stuff. I offered critisism to one fella who was flinging jargon around when critiquing the pq of a disc, he argued that everyone who bought a blu-ray player understood the jargon perfectly well.

Trouble is I work in retail and encounter more than a few people who have burned 4-5 grand on a home entertainment set up and looked clueless when I tried to explain firmware!
Old 7th August 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It reminds me of the 80s when people got CD for the first time then spent all their time concentrating on how silent the background between the tracks was...LISTEN TO THE DAMNED MUSIC/WATCH THE DAMNED FILM!!!

Mind you, I have a "small" television and no surround sound system. I like films. I still watch multi-generation VHS if it is all I can get. I have never been disappointed by a Blu-Ray - even if there is obvious DNR or edge crawl or whatever, it is still the best I can see a film outside of an unlikely cinema reissue!
Pete likes this.
Old 7th August 2011, 04:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlink73 View Post
I guess the "outstanding" bonus features they announced (CO: "We went the extra mile to get all people still alive today that were even slightly involved in Inferno in front of the camera") won't show up on the new Koch Media release either I mean how can we tell if we never got any official specs?
The only difference will be the packaging, the disc contents remain the same.
Old 7th August 2011, 06:30 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
The only difference will be the packaging, the disc contents remain the same.
Nice to know, but the contents have yet to be specified.....

If it gets released in the present speed we've probably already moved to the next generation of HD-Discs until the CO/Koch Blu Ray finally arrives, I'd only believe it now if I see the first copy arriving in the shops........
Old 7th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
i'm still mystified by the hatred of the predator blu-ray. Watched in on my mates 40" and it looked supurb, checked the reviews and people were ripping in to it.

I suspect a lot of the online comparison sites are wannabee film journalists looking to make a name by trashing someones efforts, its easier to do that than praise stuff. I offered critisism to one fella who was flinging jargon around when critiquing the pq of a disc, he argued that everyone who bought a blu-ray player understood the jargon perfectly well.

Trouble is I work in retail and encounter more than a few people who have burned 4-5 grand on a home entertainment set up and looked clueless when I tried to explain firmware!
Well I don't listen to all the bashing online, I personally didn't like the image quality, way too soft for my taste and no real HD feeling...it's not the worst disc out there but in fairness I have seen older low budget flicks on Blu which looked a lot crisper and lively issued by minor labels with less budgets on their restauration....it's just a flat picture IMHO. On the other Hand people were trashing The Fog on Blu and I loved it.....
Old 4th February 2012, 10:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

And here it is... Camera Obscura / Koch Media release of Inferno

Inferno (blu-ray / 2x DVD)

Sound:
- English, Italian, German
Subtitles:
- English, German

Extras (all English friendly):
- Audio commentary by critics Christian Kessler and Marcus Stiglegger
- "Of Darkness and Fire" making of with Romano Albani, Fabio Traversari, Pierantonio Mecacci, Luigi Cozzi and Lamberto Bava (97 minutes)
- "The Hell Of The Three Mothers", featurette with Dario Argento, Claudio Argento, Eleonora Giorgi and Leopoldo Mastelloni (23 minutes)
- "Critics On Fire" featurette with Antonio Bruschini and Antonio Tentori (20 minutes)
- Q & A with Keith Emerson and Irene Miracle, moderated by Tim Lucas (31 minutes)
- Location Tour (4 minutes)
- Introduction by Dario Argento and Romano Albani
- Photo Gallery / Rare promotional art
- German Trailer
- English Trailer
- Spanish Trailer

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 5th February 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 4th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Comparison:

Camera Obscura / Koch Media

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 5th February 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult Rookie

The CO screens look very much like the BU region free disc. Arrow did some DNR but to be honest I quite like the Arrow one as well. Since the CO doesn't add anything new image wise I think I skip this release. The 7.1 sound on the BU was a defo selling point for me, since there is only 2.0 on the german disc there is nothing besides the extras that would be of interest for me. And the longest feature of 93 mins doesn't contain interviews with the "main" players, Argento & Co are only featured in the shorter feauterettes of 27 mins. I recall CO stating that they got eveyone involved in that movie in front of the camera.....ok so where is Daria Nicolodi then? I was expecting a bit more after all the fuzz they created about that release.

Here is the comparison between Arrow and BU, the latter looks a lot like the Koch release.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_r...51/inferno.htm

Last edited by mlink73; 5th February 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!