Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2018, 05:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Why would it be his responsibility, since he wasn't the producer or financier of the film?

Unfortunately, not only would this not have been down to him, but filmmakers are often under the deeply mistaken impression that all offcuts are being carefully preserved for posterity - something that Peter Mullan fell foul of when he was putting together the DVD extras for Orphans (whose commentary opens with a glorious "Welcome to the world of DVD, ya sad anorak bastards"). Like most first-time directors, he shot a fair bit more than he needed, and had to jettison what was apparently some great material for the sake of pacing the final cut - but he reassured himself that he would at least be able to do something with it on the DVD so all that effort wouldn't go to waste.

You can probably guess the punchline.

Put it like this, the most menacing line I've ever heard Mullan utter in any context is "To say I'm unhappy about this is an understatement" - which is on the commentary immediately after he talks about his discovery that all the offcuts had been junked by FilmFour.
fair enough... sorry Bernard. Polygram/Propaganda youuuuu bastards
Old 4th October 2018, 09:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just read that Stelvio Cipriani died.

I watched Arrow's bd of What Have They done To Your Daughters on Sunday-superb.And still one of my favourite Italian giallo movies.
They seem to have licensed the features from Camera Obscura....wonder if the film was too.
Dallamano's films are superb.

Wonder what happened to Raro's release of Dorian Grey?

Be great to see Arrow release this in the UK.
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
any word on what the quality dip is like given they are using an old print?
Not sure but according to a reviewer's forum post on blu-ray.com, the booklet notes state this about the uncut footage: "We have scanned and restored this material in 2K and transferred the audio and have inserted this section into our new restoration of Candyman as seamlessly as possible." Hopefully the dip in quality won't stick out too much. Even if it did, I would still prefer to watch the uncut version. I'm thinking of the original My Bloody Valentine on blu-ray (where the violent footage is quite badly damaged) and I still like having those additional scenes in the film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th October 2018, 06:24 PM
Cult Master

CANDYMAN UK RELEASE UPDATE - THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG!!!

In honour of the great Clive Barker's birthday, we are delighted to confirm that our upcoming release of Bernard Rose’s seminal Candyman will be a 2-DISC BLU-RAY EDITION, with the second disc including the much-requested ORIGINAL UK THEATRICAL VERSION IN FULL HD, featuring the alternate, gorier psychiatrist death scene, as well as a BRAND NEW, IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW WITH CLIVE BARKER HIMSELF!!! Keep reading for full specs…

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Two-disc edition featuring two cuts of the film and exclusive bonus content
  • Exclusive packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
  • Limited edition 40-page perfect-bound booklet reproducing the original hand-painted storyboards by writer-director Bernard Rose
  • Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
  • 6 postcard-sized original UK lobby card reproductions
  • Reversible poster featuring new and original artwork

DISC ONE – US R-RATED VERSION
  • Brand new restoration of the US R-rated version from a new 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by writer-director Bernard Rose and director of photography Anthony B. Richmond
  • 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 Audio
  • Brand new audio commentary with writer-director Bernard Rose and actor Tony Todd
  • Brand new audio commentary with authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
  • Be My Victim – a brand new interview with actor Tony Todd
  • It Was Always You, Helen – a brand new interview with actor Virginia Madsen
  • The Writing on the Wall: The Production Design of Candyman – a brand new interview with production designer Jane Ann Stewart
  • Forbidden Flesh: The Makeup FX of Candyman – brand new interviews with special makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Gary J. Tunnicliffe and Mark Coulier
  • A Story to Tell: Clive Barker’s “The Forbidden” – writer Douglas E. Winter on Clive Barker’s seminal Books of Blood and Candyman’s source story, “The Forbidden”
  • Urban Legend: Unwrapping Candyman – a critical analysis of the film with writers Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Image Gallery
  • Three rarely-seen Bernard Rose short films, newly restored in HD: A Bomb With No Name on It (1975), The Wreckers (1976), and Looking at Alice (1977)

DISC TWO – ORIGINAL UK THEATRICAL VERSION
  • Brand new restoration of the original UK theatrical version, featuring alternate, more graphic footage
  • Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 Audio
  • The Cinema of Clive Barker: The Divine Explicit – a brand new in-depth interview with Clive Barker on Candyman and other filmic adaptations of his work

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th October 2018, 07:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent!

I saw old Candyman in the cinema back in the day!
Along with Silence of the Lambs,easily the best shocker of the '90's!
Paul@TheOverlook and keirarts like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2018, 08:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Just pre-ordered the Candyman from HMV.

My first BD purchase in months!
Old 6th October 2018, 12:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd previously cancelled a Candyman order as I thought that I could just wait for the inevitable cheaper, standard edition (already own it on the prior barebones UK blu-ray). I have re-ordered the limited edition as I'm thinking that the uncut disc 2 might not be available in a Arrow standard version. btw It is also really cool that disc 2 will have a 30 min interview with Clive Barker. Previously seemed odd to omit Barker from the extras.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th October 2018, 07:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

My City of the Living Dead has been shipped by Amazon and should arrive on Tuesday.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th October 2018, 07:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
My City of the Living Dead has been shipped by Amazon and should arrive on Tuesday.
Mine's on its way too. Can't wait to watch this.
Old 8th October 2018, 09:18 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I noticed that they’ve put the BBFC certificate on the reverse artwork, right on one on the zombies faces. I’d like to know who was in charge of that decision.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!