Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2013, 07:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Bit late with reading these threads, but have to put my two cents in: I own both the French disc and the Arrow and they are, as these two chaps say, night and day. Completely different.

I watched the Arrow originally and even then was shocked at the horrendous noise. Putting the French disc in was like watching a spanking new, proper blu ray version - albeit one with forced subs as has been mentioned (but there's ways around that if you have the means).

There's really no debate: Arrow's original release is a shocker.
Hopefully, Arrow will put things right with their forthcoming remastered edition of Tenebrae. I was tempted to buy the Arrow Blu on its original release, I'm glad I held off after reading all the negative reviews. All I have at present is the Dutch A-Film DVD, so definitely need an upgrade.
Old 12th October 2013, 05:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Hopefully, Arrow will put things right with their forthcoming remastered edition of Tenebrae. I was tempted to buy the Arrow Blu on its original release, I'm glad I held off after reading all the negative reviews. All I have at present is the Dutch A-Film DVD, so definitely need an upgrade.
The New Arrow release is using the same transfer as the french one. So without the forced subs and with all the extras the Arrow release should be the best release on the market. Definitely picking it up.
Old 12th October 2013, 05:48 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Wasn't there a weird visual glitch on the French release of Tenebrae? I can remember reading something about it on its release.

If so, hopefully Arrow's version will correct the issue.
Old 12th October 2013, 07:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Wasn't there a weird visual glitch on the French release of Tenebrae? I can remember reading something about it on its release.

If so, hopefully Arrow's version will correct the issue.
I didn't notice anything on my copy.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
I didn't notice anything on my copy.
Me neither..

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The New Arrow release is using the same transfer as the french one. So without the forced subs and with all the extras the Arrow release should be the best release on the market. Definitely picking it up.
They are? Good. Then time to get rid of the French one.

I don't mind that they're re-releasing. Yes, it's effectively admittance to a mistake as someone mentioned before, but better corrected and re-released than not at all. Arrow's releases are effectively getting better, so hopefully things like this won't happen again.
PaulD likes this.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:49 AM
Cult Master

The Long Goodbye full specs:

- High Definition presentation of the film from a digital transfer by MGM Studios
- Original uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Rip Van Marlowe – An interview with director Robert Altman and star Elliott Gould
- Vilmos Zsigmond Flashes The Long Goodbye – An interview with the legendary cinematographer
- Giggle and Give In – Paul Joyce’s acclaimed documentary profile of Robert Altman, with contributions from Altman, Elliott Gould, Shelley Duvall, assistant director Alan Rudolph and screenwriter Joan Tewkesbury
- Elliott Gould Discusses The Long Goodbye - a conversation with crime novelist Michael Connelly, recorded in March 2012
-David Thompson on Robert Altman - David Thompson, editor of 'Altman on Altman' and producer of the BBC’s 'Robert Altman in England', talks about The Long Goodbye‘s place in Altman's filmography
- On Raymond Chandler - Chandler’s biographer, Tom Williams, outlines the author's life and work and discusses Altman’s adaptation of The Long Goodbye
- On Hard Boiled Fiction - Crime writer and critic Maxim Jakubowski discusses the emergence of hard boiled detective characters from the pages of the pulp magazines from the 1920s through to the 1950s
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Radio Spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Brad Stevens, an archive interview with screenwriter Leigh Brackett, a new interview with assistant director Alan Rudolph and an American Cinematographer article discussing Zsigmond’s unique treatment of the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

The Long Goodbye
keirarts and sawyer6 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th October 2013, 10:53 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Saw the news on Facebook about the 58? minute conversation with Gould and Muchael Connelly. As if this release wasn't already a must buy, then they go and add this. Excellent!
Old 12th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Me neither..

They are? Good. Then time to get rid of the French one.

I don't mind that they're re-releasing. Yes, it's effectively admittance to a mistake as someone mentioned before, but better corrected and re-released than not at all. Arrow's releases are effectively getting better, so hopefully things like this won't happen again.
Given Arrows post Zombie flesh-eaters record they are rapidly improving. Hell if not for the boat cock up that would have been perfect (and now fixed it is.)

I honestly dont mind if they go back over previous releases and have another go. The troubles they were having prior seemed to be down to shoddy equipment at the italian labs, a theory supported by the excellent quality of their US releases.
Old 12th October 2013, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I think there used to be an attitude that any release was better than nothing at all, and that if the only master available was a badly compromised one then so be it (to be fair, that attitude was by no means restricted to Arrow and several companies still have it), but it's clear from customer reactions that that's no longer sustainable.

Standards at Arrow are vastly higher now than they were three or four years ago - they've hired some really good people (in addition to the deservedly acclaimed James White, encoder extraordinaire David Mackenzie is handling a lot of their discs now), and take things like QC much more seriously. And indeed rejecting substandard masters at an early stage, even if it means scrapping entire releases.

I've QCed the vast majority of their recent releases myself, and have spotted and fixed mistakes that might well have ended up on the final release before - most recently an audio problem with Invasion of the Body Snatchers that did end up on the US BD!
Rik, PaulD, keirarts and 2 others like this.
Old 12th October 2013, 05:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have mentioned before and hell why not, I will mention again.........the 1975(James Caan) Rollerball I feel is right for Arrow to be looking into. It has everything that a cult movie release is about and I know that extras if obtainable are abundant and there certainly is room for more.

Anyone with me on this one?
DaveH likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!