Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2016, 05:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The HGL box set has dropped to £119.99 on Amazon.

Yeah they can still stick it up there arse. Ridiculous prices.
Old 25th July 2016, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Considering something like 'Killer Dames', 'Black Cats' or 'Death Walks Twice' were £33.00 for 2 films then £120.00 for 14 films, 3 documentaries and a book isn't that much on the same scale.

The Kiju Yoshida boxset that came out was £50.00 for 3 films!
It's expensive to outlay in one go but I think the value for money is fine.

That being said it's a lot for a blind buy, I have just spent £8.00 on Wow-HD buying the Blood Trilogy which came out from Something Weird a couple of years ago, If I like/love those films after seeing them I'll consider this set but I reckon I'd like at least another £20 shaved off the price.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th July 2016, 06:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Considering something like 'Killer Dames', 'Black Cats' or 'Death Walks Twice' were £33.00 for 2 films then £120.00 for 14 films, 3 documentaries and a book isn't that much on the same scale.

That being said it's a lot for a blind buy, I have just spent £8.00 on Wow-HD buying the Blood Trilogy which came out from Something Weird a couple of years ago, If I like/love those films after seeing them I'll consider this set but I reckon I'd like at least another £20 shaved off the price.
Yeah, the twin film box sets are a bigger expense, comparatively speaking. I bought the Black Cats one as a treat before i had to have an operation last year, but no-way do i normally spend £35 for 2 films!

I just think some people are a bit annoyed at being priced out of their hobby with the expense of some of this stuff.

I play a longer game and am quite happy hanging on for years until someone doesn't know what they've got and puts it up for sale for peanuts. Got a few 1st edition signed books that way and a few dvd imports too. You have to be patient for that though and keep an eye out for bargains!
Old 25th July 2016, 06:23 PM
Cult Master

"***SHOCK AND GORE RELEASE UPDATE***

We have been blown away by the reaction to our upcoming Shock and Gore: The Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis release! At the time of writing, our US release is completely sold out (A big thanks to the awesome folks at DiabolikDVD.com for all the help with this one!) and we have under 150 copies of the UK release left.

If you are considering grabbing a copy of this release we would suggest that do so sooner rather than later!

For those of you that have ordered the set or just want some extra info, you can check our our handy FAQ here: FAQs « Shock and Gore: The Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis "
Justin101, keirarts and DayzeUK like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th July 2016, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's similar to the Arrow Meyer dvd set. I'd never have bought that for anywhere near it's RRP but was happy to pick it up for £17.99 and thoroughly enjoyed the films...still not watched them all yet though. Must have had it three years now.

I doubt the Lewis set will ever sell for £20 as it stands but i'm sure Arrow will eventually release a budget version of the set.
I think if not all then most of the films in the set will get stand-alone releases once both the LE sets sell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Indeed - you're getting a lot of bang for your buck for £120 - it works out at roughly 'only' £8.57 a film. I can definitely understand those who are unfamiliar with Lewis (and also those who are!) not wanting to lay down this much for the set though.

The Blood Trilogy is a good place to start as it represents some of his most infamous and well-loved work. My favourite of his remains The Wizard of Gore though (also available on Blu from Something Weird), although Blood Feast would be a close second. The films themselves are ropey low-budget trash, however a lot of gory sleazy fun if you're prepared to take them at face value. Plus, Lewis (for me) is more than the sum of his films; he was a true auteur and showman... kind of like the P T Barnum of independent cinema and a trend-setter for sure.
Old 25th July 2016, 07:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

WIZARD OF GORE is defininetly his best.

SHE DEVILS ON WHEELS is also enjoyable nonsense.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th July 2016, 08:38 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"***SHOCK AND GORE RELEASE UPDATE***

We have been blown away by the reaction to our upcoming Shock and Gore: The Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis release! At the time of writing, our US release is completely sold out (A big thanks to the awesome folks at DiabolikDVD.com for all the help with this one!) and we have under 150 copies of the UK release left.

If you are considering grabbing a copy of this release we would suggest that do so sooner rather than later!

For those of you that have ordered the set or just want some extra info, you can check our our handy FAQ here: FAQs « Shock and Gore: The Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis "
No reward points then, we should kick up a fuss and get Arrow to sort it out.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 25th July 2016, 09:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No rewards points for spending that sort of dough?

Terrible.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th July 2016, 09:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
No rewards points for spending that sort of dough?

Terrible.
They don't have to offer reward points for anything, I think people are being a bit ungrateful to be honest, I've always found their reward points system to be surprisingly generous, especially when you take into account the double points during sales.
Justin101, PaulD, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 26th July 2016, 04:31 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
They don't have to offer reward points for anything, I think people are being a bit ungrateful to be honest
I'm more angry/disappointed in the fact that you are unable to redeem your points on this purchase

I got have got about £60 in points. Just think how much I have given Arrow direct to accrue that kind of figure - money that could have gone to Amazon Marketplace where I would almost certainly have got things a bit cheaper! Anyway, I have been collecting them for the last 6 years or so, waiting until 'something special' was released that I could not live without, and I was going to use my points towards that

It does annoy me when 'something special' is released, which I am unable to afford, and I am also unable to spend my points I gained for being a 'loyal customer'
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!