Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2015, 05:53 PM
Cult Addict

I've just ordered the Ltd Ed of Society as reading through the comments for the standard release Arrow have mentioned it's nearly sold out.
Rik, plasterface, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 10th June 2015, 06:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Mutilator

Old 10th June 2015, 06:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah bit of a mixed bag of announcements today, I'm only really interested in The Mutilator out of those. The rest I'll possibly rent off of LoveFilm. I hope they've got a stack of pure horror titles for October.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th June 2015, 06:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

These are all of the Arrow Video & Arrow Films Limited Edition sets:

Old 10th June 2015, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't forget Withnail & I
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th June 2015, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Don't forget Withnail & I
D'oh! How did I forget that? I'll try and photograph them all a bit later.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 11th June 2015, 04:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeZius View Post
Zardoz confirmed!

No limited editions this time around?
To answer myself, it seems booklets are getting limited!

From Arrow FB:

Quote:
Our releases of Hard to be a God, The Firemen's Ball and Closely Observed Trains all come with booklets, but on a limited basis only (2000 copies each). Here's the specs for each:
Hard to be a God: Booklet with original writing on the film by Jonathan Romney and a statement by Aleksei German, extensively illustrated with original stills and behind-the-scenes images
The Firemen's Ball: Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Peter Hames, author of 'The Czechoslovak New Wave', and an excerpt from Miloš Forman’s memoir
Closely Observed Trains: Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Jonathan Owen, author of 'Avant-Garde to New Wave: Czechoslovak Cinema, Surrealism and the Sixties'
Being these are limited they may even expand beyond these contents when they're finished!
That's kinda annoying...
J Harker likes this.

YouTube | Letterboxd | Facebook
Old 11th June 2015, 08:04 AM
Cult Addict

Wonder if its a tactic to try and get more copies sold up front rather than to people like me that have no shame and more often than not catch up during their sales.
Old 11th June 2015, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Wonder if its a tactic to try and get more copies sold up front rather than to people like me that have no shame and more often than not catch up during their sales.
That is indeed the idea. Pay a realistic price early in the release cycle and you'll get the best possible product. But if you wait with the cynical intention of paying as little as you can get away with, it's increasingly likely that you'll get less in return.

It's the inevitable result of the unfortunate combo of situations whereby the physical-media market is inexorably shrinking but BDs are significantly underpriced relative to their production costs - and this has a disproportionate impact on independent labels because they can't achieve the same economies of scale that the majors can with their massive print runs.

So all independent labels are wrestling with similar issues - they're just addressing them in different ways. In recent months, the BFI has made a substantial shift towards a "limited BD edition followed by an unlimited DVD one" model, whereas Arrow is at least proposing to keep the BDs permanently in print (at least for the duration of their licence), but not necessarily always with the booklets.
Old 11th June 2015, 09:21 AM
Cult Addict

All fair points Michael. However when Arrow have a sale every few months and something that was £15.99 on release in say January is £7.99 in April surely a consumer can't be blamed for waiting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!