Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2015, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
All fair points Michael. However when Arrow have a sale every few months and something that was £15.99 on release in say January is £7.99 in April surely a consumer can't be blamed for waiting.
I'm a consumer myself, and all this is of course completely rational behaviour! But it clobbers the label's cashflow in the longer term, which is why quite a few are looking at ways of tweaking that model - given that discounts clearly aren't going to go away. Not least because they're obviously the best means of disposing of stock that isn't selling as fast as it could.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th June 2015, 03:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I didn't realize they were doing The Mutilator , my fb got haked several times so I haven't been on much lately .
I'll definitely get that, Eaten Alive / Death Trap and Nightmare City when they come out.

Think I might take a look on they're store later as im a bit behind.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th June 2015, 06:52 PM
Cult Addict

contamination has shipped!
Old 11th June 2015, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ha Ha, after I said HMV have no older Arrow releases... today they had Baron Blood and ZFE and quite a few others on BD at £12.99. Haven't had ZFE on the shelves since release!
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th June 2015, 10:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HMV in York tend to get new Arrow titles in on the day of release but once their gone their gone! The haven't had ZFE in over a year or any of the older titles, they do seem to have a good stock of 88 titles though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th June 2015, 09:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Nearest HMV to me is Bradford, they have a load of Arrow, Shameless and 88 Films titles, usually a few copies of each too, onlt the 88 tittles are reasonably priced though, which is where I pick up most of them
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th June 2015, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Review of Contamination
Contamination

Happy to announce that there is no problems at all with scanner noise, so I guess this didn't come from an Italian scan, unless they finally did it right over there
Let's hope that Arrows Nightmare City was scanned at the same lab as this one.

I was actually going to wait for the release in July, as the movie is cheaper at Zavvi etc. But when they deliver an upgrade like this, and already ships the discs, then the extra cash is worth it. Especially since it's one of my favorites from the golden age of the Italian schlock cinema

Great job, Arrow!!
Old 12th June 2015, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Another superb job of an Italian classic by Arrow:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3707

Larger screenshots at the bottom, comparing the Arrow and Raro discs.
The Raro disc has that typical LVR problem, scanner noise filled transfer, that has gotten a heavy amount of DNR, to "hide" the problem, though it is still visible in parts of the image.
The Arrow version has more natural grainstructure and a proper film look. Also, the contrast isn't blown out any longer.

I don't know what magic Arrow is using, but at the moment, they are the only label (together with Synapse) that does a proper job with these Italian films.

Raro is probably the worst, as they always use so much DNR, they end up looking more like upscales. With zero finedetails.
vipco, keirarts and Antropophagus like this.
Old 12th June 2015, 06:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well after Arrow announced that Contamination was in stock and shipping I caved in and ordered it directly from them. It's not a film I love but you know I can't help myself with these Italian titles.
vipco, Steel76, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 12th June 2015, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah, they are must haves
I never get tired of these Italian cult movies, no matter how many times I have seen them, during the last 25+ years

Compared with most American horror films from the 80:s, the Italian films just gets better with age
vipco, keirarts and Antropophagus like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!