Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2018, 02:06 PM
Cult Master

NEW UK TITLE: Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)

Horrorland’s hostess with the mostest, finally busts out on Blu-ray with this long-awaited, positively-bursting-at-the-seams special edition of her big screen debut, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark!

Release dates: 3 December

"She’s back! Elvira, Horrorland’s hostess with the mostest, finally busts out on Blu-ray with this long-awaited, positively-bursting-at-the-seams special edition of her big screen debut, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark!

Having just quit her job as a Los Angeles TV horror hostess, Elvira receives the unexpected news that she’s set to inherit part of her great-aunt Morgana’s estate. Arriving in the small town of Fallwell, Massachusetts to claim her inheritance, Elvira receives a less than enthusiastic reception from the conservative locals - amongst them, her sinister uncle Vinny, who unbeknownst to Elvira, is an evil warlock who secretly schemes to lay his hands on the old family spellbook for his own nefarious ends…

Campy, quirky and stuffed to the brim with more double entendres than your average Carry On movie, 1988’s Elvira: Mistress of the Dark helped solidify the horror hostess (played by Cassandra Peterson) as a major pop culture icon, here owning every inch of the screen with her quick wit, sass, and of course, cleaving-enhancing gown!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original interpositive
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Introduction to the film by director James Signorelli
• 2017 audio commentary with director James Signorelli, hosted by Fangoria Editor Emeritus Tony Timpone
• 2017 audio commentary with Elvira Webmaster and judge of US TV show The Search for the Next Elvira Patterson Lundquist
• Archival audio commentary with actors Cassandra Peterson, Edie McClurg and writer John Paragon
• Too Macabre - The Making of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark - newly-revised 2018 version of this feature-length documentary on the making of the film including interviews with various cast and crew and rare never-before-seen archival material
• Recipe for Terror: The Creation of the Pot Monster - newly-revised 2018 version of this featurette on the concept and design of the pot monster, as well as the other SFX of the movie
• Original Storyboards
• Original US Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Patterson Lundquist and a short note on the 2012 audio commentary by Sam Irvin"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th September 2018, 02:09 PM
Cult Master

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Waterworld Blu-ray

The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release

Release date: 10th December (UK), 11th December (US & CA)

"The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects.

A definitive post-apocalypse blockbuster, Waterworld stars Kevin Costner (The Untouchables) as The Mariner - a mutant trader, adrift in a dystopian future where Earth is submerged under water and humankind struggles to survive on boats and in ramshackle floating cities. The Mariner becomes embroiled with the Smokers, a gang of pirates who, led by villainous leader Deacon (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet), are seeking Enola (Tina Majorino, Napoleon Dynamite), a girl with a map to the mythical realm of “Dryland” tattooed on her back.

Famous for both its epic scale and the controversy that swirled around its production, Waterworld is a key cult film of the 1990s, and an essential entry into the subgenre of ecologically-minded blockbusters. Presented here in an exclusive new restoration, in three different cuts, and with a wealth of extra material, this high-water mark of high-concept Hollywood can now be enjoyed as never before.

TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, presenting the film in three cuts
• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Six collector’s postcards
• Double-sided fold-out poster
• Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, archival articles and original reviews
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut
• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage
• Original archival featurette capturing the film's production
• Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically aware Hollywood blockbusters
• Production and promotional stills gallery
• Visual effects stills gallery
• Original trailers and TV spots

DISC TWO – THE EXTENDED CUTS [LIMTED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which includes censored shots and dialogue"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th September 2018, 02:40 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Waterworld had been rumoured for a while, so i’m as happy as a pig in shit that it’s coming, and in 3 versions no less!
Paul@TheOverlook and keirarts like this.
Old 28th September 2018, 02:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

i doubt i'll ever be happy with Waterworld unless Kevin Reynolds was able to do a definitive Director's cut, but i think that boat has sailed

it looks like if you want all three cuts you have to buy the limited edition. however, i can't see Arrow making any money on a standard edition just including the theatrical cut even if it is a 4K upgrade?
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th September 2018, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Never seen waterworld seen bits just doesn't appeal to me , but wasn't it one of the biggest flops for some time ?
Old 28th September 2018, 04:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default The Arrow Films / Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Never seen waterworld seen bits just doesn't appeal to me , but wasn't it one of the biggest flops for some time ?

That’s a common misconception - it cost $175m but did over $100m at the US box office alone. If I remember correctly it recouped it’s costs at the worldwide box office before making a ton of money from home video and TV rights.

It’s actually a fun flick and well worth the time if you like post-apocalyptic action films you’ll dig it.
Old 28th September 2018, 04:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th September 2018, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've never seen Waterworld because it's one of those films where I heard negative things from it was released at the cinema, have never recorded it when we had the Sky Movies package, rented it from Lovefilm, or have bought cheaply from the Music Magpie.

Having looked at reviews today, it does sound like something which is likely to have been unfairly criticised and, since I really like Dances with Wolves, I'm unlikely to be disappointed.
Old 28th September 2018, 05:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mad Max 2 on water!

Gimme that and the delicious Elvira!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th September 2018, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Waterworld because it's one of those films where I heard negative things from it was released at the cinema, have never recorded it when we had the Sky Movies package, rented it from Lovefilm, or have bought cheaply from the Music Magpie.

Having looked at reviews today, it does sound like something which is likely to have been unfairly criticised and, since I really like Dances with Wolves, I'm unlikely to be disappointed.
Waterworld is friggin' brilliant. I loved it at the cinema. It's the best Arrow release this year in my opinion.

It's another film where it's all done for real, no CGI here. That's why it cost so much at the time. All the sets were built on the ocean.

If we did a post apoc TTT it would be my number one comfortably.

Box office figures according to Box Office Mojo.

Budget - $175m

US - $88,246,220
Foreign - $175,972,000

Total - Worldwide: $264,218,220

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=waterworld.htm

Like this? Share it using the links below!