Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2017, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
the wording of the quote (e.g. 'exclusive') seems to suggest they won't be the same as the ones Synapse are working on - unless of course they mean 'exclusive' to the UK?
I think they must mean exclusive to the UK as (a staggering) 18 of Argento's 19 films have already been released on blu-ray. Not bad for a cult Italian director...
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th January 2017, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
an interesting part of the interview acknowledges your concerns here - apparently there is less availability for Blu ray than there ever was for VHS and DVD

"It's been interesting to me that with every time we make technical progress and migrate from one home video format to another, the quality improves but as a consequence, the number of available titles decreases. I mean, VHS enjoyed over 20 years as the standard home delivery format. Now I don't mean to say that during that time VHS released everything that had ever been produced on film – far from it – but that by the time the format had run its course it had covered significant cinematic ground. It certainly covered a wider spectrum than DVD has, and there's no question that Blu-ray, as much as I love the format, has only released a fraction of the titles DVD did.

So it seems that with each upgrade in quality, the fewer films we actually have available to see."
And who's fault is that then? The releasing companies who, has as been already said, stick to the same old thing.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 27th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
And who's fault is that then? The releasing companies who, has as been already said, stick to the same old thing.
A lot of it will be to do with available materials and rights issues though. A lot of elements for these films have sadly deteriorated, been destroyed or lost over the years.
Old 27th January 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A lot of it will be to do with available materials and rights issues though. A lot of elements for these films have sadly deteriorated, been destroyed or lost over the years.
A lot is to do with small minded mentality as well. Not willing to take a gamble. Except on Polish nonsense that is favoured by their restorers.

The likes of Screenbound and Network release tons of unheard of gems to dvd and in some cases Blu.

It doesn't have to be an extras heavy set with posters, booklets, 22 commentaries blah, blah, blah.

The true collectors of films will always seek them out. That's what puzzles me about people who say 'i only buy blu-ray', either need their head seeing to or are just format collectors rather than fans of the actual medium of film. The Arrow interview proves my case.

Powerhouse have the right idea.

Quote:
I think that the fact that independent labels are releasing studio titles is great news for film fans, and actually reflects very well on the majors, since it's down to their ability to understand that a 'back catalogue' strategy is needed (while they focus on the money-making end of things) that a great many films have been allowed to avoid slipping into obscurity. Of course, there is much more work to be done to 'crack open the vaults' of some studios, and we're extremely keen to play a part in trying to change this, where and whenever we possibly can.
Old 27th January 2017, 04:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
A lot is to do with small minded mentality as well. Not willing to take a gamble. Except on Polish nonsense that is favoured by their restorers.

The likes of Screenbound and Network release tons of unheard of gems to dvd and in some cases Blu.

It doesn't have to be an extras heavy set with posters, booklets, 22 commentaries blah, blah, blah.

The true collectors of films will always seek them out. That's what puzzles me about people who say 'i only buy blu-ray', either need their head seeing to or are just format collectors rather than fans of the actual medium of film. The Arrow interview proves my case.

Powerhouse have the right idea.
you call Arrow 'small minded' and then give a quote where they are actively trying to 'crack vaults' - its got to be one or the other surely?

criticising a company for releasing 'Polish nonsense' is just reverse snobbery. it may be the restorers preference but if it means the best restorers are then also working on genre films then more power to them and their Polish slant AFAIC. and also what's nonsense to you is gold to someone else.

i only buy blu because its my preferred format and i can't afford to buy dvd also and in fact just buying blu gives me a huge backlog of title to watch anyway without having to think about dvd. by buying blu only i feel that i am encouraging more releases on blu. i respect your position but everyone is different for different reasons.
Old 27th January 2017, 04:31 PM
Cult Master

Arrow Academy

***STORY OF SIN FINAL SPECS!***

Time to reveal the final specs for Walerian Borowczyk's Story of Sin - released on Dual format in the UK March 13 and US/Canada March 14.

------------------------------

Synopsis:
The life of a beautiful, young and pious woman is thrown into chaos when her parents takes in a dashingly handsome lodger. Having embarked on a torrid affair, the lodger goes off to Rome to seek a divorce from his estranged wife.

Unable to live apart from her beloved, our hero leaves home only to fall prey to the infatuations and lusts of a band of noble admirers, unsavoury criminals and utopian do-gooders…

The only feature Walerian Borowczyk (The Beast, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne) made in his native Poland, Story of Sin transforms Stefan Zeromski’s classic melodrama into a deliriously surrealistic meditation on l’amour fou.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
· 2K restoration from the original film negative
· High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
· New subtitle translation
· Audio commentary by Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger
· Introduction by poster designer Andrzej Klimowski
· The First Sinner, a new interview with Story of Sin lead actor Grażyna Długołęcka
· The Music Box, film critic and documentarian David Thompson on the use of classical music in Borowczyk’s films
· Stories of Sin, a video essay by Daniel Bird (Friends of Walerian Borowczyk) concerning the director’s obsessions
· New 2K restorations from the original negatives of Borowczyk’s ground-breaking Polish shorts: Once Upon a Time (co-directed by Jan Lenica), Dom (co-directed by Lenica) and The School, with optional audio commentaries by art historian Szymon Bojko (Once Upon a Time), composer Włodzimierz Kotońsk (Dom) and Daniel Bird (The School)
· Miscellaneous, a video essay on Borowczyk and Lenica’s contributions to newsreels and documentaries on art history
· Street Art, a short news reel documentary about poster art co-written by Borowczyk
·Tools of the Trade, an interview with Juliusz Zamecznik, son of photographer and graphic artist Wojciech Zamecznik
· Poster Girl, an interview with poster artist, illustrator and print maker Teresa Byszewska, who appears (briefly) in Dom
· Trailer
· Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Andrzej Klimowski

keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th January 2017, 04:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
you call Arrow 'small minded' and then give a quote where they are actively trying to 'crack vaults' - its got to be one or the other surely?

i only buy blu because its my preferred format and i can't afford to buy dvd also and in fact just buying blu gives me a huge backlog of title to watch anyway without having to think about dvd. by buying blu only i feel that i am encouraging more releases on blu. i respect your position but everyone is different for different reasons.
The quote is from Powerhouse as stated, not Arrow. You are misquoting me too much. I never stated Arrow or any named company was small minded. I said it in general in a response to a message from Bizarre_Eye.

Meaning you are a blu collector rather than a film collector. Which is fine.
Old 27th January 2017, 04:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The quote is from Powerhouse as stated, not Arrow. You are misquoting me too much. I never stated Arrow or any named company was small minded. I said it in general in a response to a message from Bizarre_Eye.

Meaning you are a blu collector rather than a film collector. Which is fine.
'Except on Polish nonsense that is favoured by their restorers.' seems to be a dig at Arrow given that it is in the Arrow thread but soz if i got the wrong end of the stick. I can't see where the evidence is for any of the companies being small minded - they are all trying to sublicense quality product - from the Arrow interview in regard to Warner:

"I think it's crazy that a film like The Big Sleep isn't given a banner release it deserves, but I could argue the same for any number of films from its catalogue. Which is, of course, why I think it's so important that it allows for more sub-licensing to smaller labels like us."

also not a blu collector. i have over a thousand dvds from way back. its just that blu satisfies my movie collecting needs as i can't possibly watch everything i buy... maybe when i retire
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th January 2017, 04:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
'Except on Polish nonsense that is favoured by their restorers.' seems to be a dig at Arrow given that it is in the Arrow thread but soz if i got the wrong end of the stick. I can't see where the evidence is for any of the companies being small minded - they are all trying to sublicense quality product - from the Arrow interview in regard to Warner:

"I think it's crazy that a film like The Big Sleep isn't given a banner release it deserves, but I could argue the same for any number of films from its catalogue. Which is, of course, why I think it's so important that it allows for more sub-licensing to smaller labels like us."

also not a blu collector. i have over a thousand dvds from way back. its just that blu satisfies my movie collecting needs as i can't possibly watch everything i buy... maybe when i retire
It's small minded because companies will release The Mask of Satan on blu but not Knives of the Avenger for example.

Anyway lets stop going round in circles, it's Friday night. Enjoy your weekend, Rob.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th January 2017, 05:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
It's small minded because companies will release The Mask of Satan on blu but not Knives of the Avenger for example.

Anyway lets stop going round in circles, it's Friday night. Enjoy your weekend, Rob.
Knives... would be nice. I'm sure that will get a release eventually.

yeah have good one Dem

Like this? Share it using the links below!