All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2017, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Where was this from?

Whoever wrote that was a knob. The song is a ballad on a piano. Why the **** would the walls vibrate?
The line isn't even in the film. It were my poor attempt at sarcasm Dem. Idiots expecting 70 year old black and white movies to give their surround sound system a good workout just because its a dvd. Was the type of mentality that seemed to turn up regularly in the early days of dvd.
plasterface and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 28th June 2017, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The line isn't even in the film. It were my poor attempt at sarcasm Dem. Idiots expecting 70 year old black and white movies to give their surround sound system a good workout just because its a dvd. Was the type of mentality that seemed to turn up regularly in the early days of dvd.
No it isn't but it's one of the most misquoted movie quotes ever.

Ilsa says "Play it once Sam, for old times sake"

Then later Bogie says "You played it for her, play it for me, if she can stand it so can i"

I hope i haven't misquoted my all time fave film.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 28th June 2017, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, it's featured in this article, along with plenty of others that I'm guilty of misquoting

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...n-saying-wrong
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th June 2017, 08:57 AM
Cult Addict

With digital fix ( who also recently gave stunning marx brothers restorations 7 for video) I think there may also be a bit of nervousness as some of the denziens of places like bluerage.com (copyright stephen ) can be a bit full on when they disagree and who wants the hassle.

Personally if I stick up a review anywhere i'm hesitant to score out of 10 as its pretty arbitrary.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Possibly the stupidest score I've ever seen was 3/10 for "picture quality" on White of the Eye.

This is a state-of-the-art scan off the original camera neg, and looks pretty much exactly as it was supposed to look, allowing for the differences in media (I saw it in 35mm back in the day, so can confirm this first hand). In other words, in terms of "picture quality" it should by rights be a minimum of 8 or 9 - you might have a few nitpicks here and there, but in all other respects it's bang on.

But this reviewer didn't like the use of heavy grain, high contrast and desaturated colours in the flashback sequences, despite this being an artistic decision that was spelled out in both the extras and the booklet, and decided that because of these shots alone (which only amount to a small proportion of the film as a whole), the "picture quality" deserved low marks. But he wasn't reviewing the quality of the disc, he was reviewing the original cinematography!

Arrow actually complained about that one, and got a mealy-mouthed response that yes it probably wasn't very fair but the reviewer wasn't being paid, so what could the editor do?
Old 29th June 2017, 09:20 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Possibly the stupidest score I've ever seen was 3/10 for "picture quality" on White of the Eye.

This is a state-of-the-art scan off the original camera neg, and looks pretty much exactly as it was supposed to look, allowing for the differences in media (I saw it in 35mm back in the day, so can confirm this first hand). In other words, in terms of "picture quality" it should by rights be a minimum of 8 or 9 - you might have a few nitpicks here and there, but in all other respects it's bang on.

But this reviewer didn't like the use of heavy grain, high contrast and desaturated colours in the flashback sequences, despite this being an artistic decision that was spelled out in both the extras and the booklet, and decided that because of these shots alone (which only amount to a small proportion of the film as a whole), the "picture quality" deserved low marks. But he wasn't reviewing the quality of the disc, he was reviewing the original cinematography!

Arrow actually complained about that one, and got a mealy-mouthed response that yes it probably wasn't very fair but the reviewer wasn't being paid, so what could the editor do?
oh, btw Michael. thanks for the heads up on Facebook about that Marx brothers set. Had a scan through them when they arrived and they look great. Fantastic bargain. I notice the price shot way back up soon after.
Old 29th June 2017, 03:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
With digital fix ( who also recently gave stunning marx brothers restorations 7 for video) I think there may also be a bit of nervousness as some of the denziens of places like bluerage.com (copyright stephen ) can be a bit full on when they disagree and who wants the hassle.

Personally if I stick up a review anywhere i'm hesitant to score out of 10 as its pretty arbitrary.
****ing keyboard gangsters eh?

Love to meet some of these dicks face to face.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th June 2017, 03:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anyway.
Ordered this.
I collect all versions of this fave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Children-Corn-Blu-ray-002.jpg (97.5 KB, 13 views)
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th June 2017, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Anyway.
Ordered this.
I collect all versions of this fave.
I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against 88's
Old 29th June 2017, 04:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Will have to wait7-8 weeks.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!