Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

Rik 8th September 2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 610722)
Apparently its been reported that a postcard has been found for Tarantinos Inglorious Basterds.

Yeah, I saw that too, can’t see the point in them releasing it when the current BD is absolutely fine and can be picked up for pennies these days :confused:

Rob4 8th September 2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 610723)
Yeah, I saw that too, can’t see the point in them releasing it when the current BD is absolutely fine and can be picked up for pennies these days :confused:

you wouldn't think it would be commercially viable would you? all i can assume is that the actual fanbase for the label has reached such a level that they can almost release anything and there would be enough Arrow completists to make it profitable.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2019 02:53 PM

I bet it's packaging won't beat the dvd i have. It comes with a slip case and window to display one of four gorgeous art cards as the cover.

Extras could be better though.

Nostalgic 8th September 2019 06:34 PM

I think Inglorious is a good choice for Arrow, even though I personally have never loved the movie. I think we're moving towards a time where Arrow could release literally ANYTHING, it's just that modern stuff (Fear & Loathing, Crimson Peak etc) seems a bit weird because lots of us remember where it all started with the Fantastic Factory box, City of the Living Dead, Opera etc & now there are so many releases it's like a studio releasing movies every month.

My wife keeps hoping somebody will release The Tale of the Bunny Picnic (Jim Henson) on dvd somewhere, so maybe Arrow could explore that kind of thing next?

J Harker 8th September 2019 07:43 PM

I love the film but i see absolutely no reason to upgrade the original blu. I have the HMV exlusive set that originally came out and I'm more than happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th September 2019 08:40 PM

I like Inglourious Basterds so much that the BD I have cost £2.50 from Music Magpie and has been watched once, when I liked it more than when I saw it at the cinema. Neither viewing has left me wanting to spend upwards of 20 quid on an upgraded release which will probably collect dust in a spare bedroom or the loft. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown (which I consider Tarantino's best film) would all be more enticing.

I did double dip on Crimson Peak, but I think that's a brilliant film and really wanted the Guillermo del Toro El Toro literature. Saying that, since buying it, I've watched it once. It is still out because I want to listen to the commentary again and watch the extra features. It is a contender for the October horror marathon.

Rik 8th September 2019 09:00 PM

Even though Pulp Fiction is my all time favourite film, I don’t think I’d buy an Arrow edition because I have the briefcase one with the Jack Rabbit Slims menu, Big Kahuna Burger bag etc, that’ll take some beating!

J Harker 8th September 2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 610740)
I like Inglourious Basterds so much that the BD I have cost £2.50 from Music Magpie and has been watched once, when I liked it more than when I saw it at the cinema. Neither viewing has left me wanting to spend upwards of 20 quid on an upgraded release which will probably collect dust in a spare bedroom or the loft. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown (which I consider Tarantino's best film) would all be more enticing.

I did double dip on Crimson Peak, but I think that's a brilliant film and really wanted the Guillermo del Toro El Toro literature. Saying that, since buying it, I've watched it once. It is still out because I want to listen to the commentary again and watch the extra features. It is a contender for the October horror marathon.

I've never got the love for Jackie Brown. Its ok but but I'd put it at the bottom end of Tarantino's offerings.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th September 2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 610742)
Even though Pulp Fiction is my all time favourite film, I don’t think I’d buy an Arrow edition because I have the briefcase one with the Jack Rabbit Slims menu, Big Kahuna Burger bag etc, that’ll take some beating!

Oh, that's a beautiful release. There is no chance of Arrow beating that!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th September 2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 610744)
I've never got the love for Jackie Brown. Its ok but but I'd put it at the bottom end of Tarantino's offerings.

Even though he made substantial changes to the source material and I love the nonlinear/circular narrative of Pulp Fiction, I think Jackie Brown is his most narratively coherent, engrossing, and mature work. I love the characters – particularly Max Cherry and Jackie Brown – more than any other Tarantino film.

Coincidentally, it's the only Tarantino film based on a novel and isn't a remake/reimagining of another film as Reservoir Dogs and Inglourious Basterds are. It doesn't seem to be as self-referential as most of his films even though he is adapting an Elmore Leonard novel with a love letter to blacksploitation cinema. Weirdly, I wasn't overly enamoured with it when I saw it at the cinema, but it completely gripped me on second viewing and I've loved it ever since.