Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
There's an Arrow Video podcast?
It's been going for about 2-3 years!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd August 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Eureka, 88, 101 films, Powerhouse to some degree, Second Sight and a few others have started releasing the stuff Arrow used to release (and got them where they are) and what many of us still want. The only label not releasing these titles is actually Arrow themselves. Can anyone else remember them telling us to stick with the less than exciting releases because it helps them fund the releases we reallt want? Problem is they didn't seem to know what it was their fans wanted.
i dunno J, it depends on your definition of what got them to where they are? Are we talking about cult films or just a narrow version of cult films? here is a list of releases from Arrow since June last year that i've either bought or intend to buy at some point:

Pitch Black – Aug 2020
Creepshow 2 – July 2020
White Fire – May 2020
Dream Demon – May 2020
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (US) – April 2020
Jodorowsky Set – March 2020
The Passion of Darkly Moon – March 2020
Beyond the Door - March 2020
Deadly Manor – Feb 2020
Edge of the Axe – Jan 2020
Exorcist III – Dec 2019
Vengeance Trilogy – Dec 2019
Slaughterhouse-Five (US) – Dec 2019
Hitch Hike to Hell – Nov 2019
RoboCop LE – Nov 2019
Killer Nun (US) – Oct 2019
Nightbreed (LE) – Oct 2019
An American Werewolf in London (LE) – Oct 2019
Toys are not for Children - Oct 2019
The Man of a Thousand Faces – Oct 2019
Who Saw Her Die? (US) – Sep 2019
The Prey – Sep 2019
Cruising – Aug 2019
Alice Sweet Alice (US) – Aug 2019
Oldboy (LE) – Aug 2019
Schramm – Jul 2019
Def-Con 4 – Jun 2019
The Sender – Jun 2019
Double Face – Jun 2019
American Horror Project Vol 2 – Jun 2019
The Andromeda Strain - Jun 2019

Its not an insubstantial list and no one can argue they are not within the definition of cult. it works out at more than two films per month. sure the other labels are competing now for some choice titles but none, taken individually, will come close to the above list (maybe 88 in terms of numbers but not quality). it could be they are just not releasing what you want, but that may be down to the competition or availability of titles, not from them turning their back on that market by choice.

i'm not saying it can't be improved though. as i said above i think they need to broaden out their sources of product, cosy up to some of the other majors besides Universal e.g. still lots of stuff from MGM/AIP going spare that have been released in US but not here.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's been going for about 2-3 years!
I'm clearly out of the podcast loop.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd August 2020, 05:58 AM
Cultist

I would recommend the podcast overall. The first 15-20 mins are good, but then it descends into films tangentially related to the release under discussion as the two presenters try to one up each other by mentioning obscure films.

Interesting list of purchases. I've also got most of those, but I guess I'm looking to recapture the feeling of genuinely looking forward to an arrow release.

What was the last release that actually made you go "yeah, must get that one!"? For me, nothing since Nightbreed. I mostly pick up titles with little enthusiasm at the moment.

"Ho hum, better get Deadly Manor, bet its crap but it's nice artwork"

Lays his money down, in goes the disc

"Oh' it is"
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
I would recommend the podcast overall. The first 15-20 mins are good, but then it descends into films tangentially related to the release under discussion as the two presenters try to one up each other by mentioning obscure films.

Interesting list of purchases. I've also got most of those, but I guess I'm looking to recapture the feeling of genuinely looking forward to an arrow release.

What was the last release that actually made you go "yeah, must get that one!"? For me, nothing since Nightbreed. I mostly pick up titles with little enthusiasm at the moment.

"Ho hum, better get Deadly Manor, bet its crap but it's nice artwork"

Lays his money down, in goes the disc

"Oh' it is"
Of recent releases the Jodorowsky Set, White Fire and Dream Demon all got me quite excited for different reasons. Jodorowky because he's just simply Tier 1 cult, White Fire because it's just so wrong as a movie and Dream Demon because I think seeing it uncut and with super fresh scan will enhance its reputation as that rare thing in the 80s - a British horror film.

I think I probably have an advantage over most in that I have a high tolerance for crap, so although I don't actually have Deadly Manor yet I'm quite looking forward to it. I always use Satan's Blade as a good example. When it was announced for every 1 post saying they wanted it there was about 10 posts declaring it the worst film ever. It turned out to be great - a proper cult film, made for next to nothing, by a Director with little to no experience, with bottom rung actors, lo-fi gore, a very high body count and kills that were often on the sleazy side. I couldn't help thinking what was not like?

When it comes to cult I'm often left wondering if the people who say they are cult fans are totally committed if all they are looking for are films that are 'good'? But at the same time I recognise everyone is different and not everyone will be happy joining me to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate.

At one point on the Arrow Facebook page I engaged with a guy who was consistently doing this 'another rubbish month' thing with his posts. I said I was sorry to hear there was nothing for him and what would he like to see? Basically, every one of his wants were from about 84-90 and of a particularly goofy type of movie from that era e.g. Elvira, Earth Girls are Easy, etc etc. I thought to myself well you might be waiting a long time if your tastes are that narrow, but at least he got Elvira eventually.

Anyway Trash, I hope you get something you are after soon. In the meantime, tell us what's on your most wanted list? I love a list, I do
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:35 PM
Cultist

I'm with you all the way on White Fire and would recommend that to everyone. It was absolutely amazing, and evidence that Arrow still know what they're doing. I also have a soft spot for Satan's Blade- it's well worth watching for The Hysteria Continues commentary, weird dream sequence and amateur acting!

For me, dream Arrow releases would be: The Blob 88, The Prowler, Halloween II (or Shout Factory style mega box set), Raw Force, Clue, Dawn of the Mummy, Night of the Demon, Demon Knight, My Bloody Valentine, Superstition, In the Mouth of Madness, The Uninvited, Demonoid, The Psychic, Event Horizon (with extended bits). Mostly pretty mainstream!

Theres probably loads more that'll come to mind. As I look at it, these are all Arrow 2009-2015 style releases. I cant see many of them coming out anytime soon! Do you think any of these would stand a chance of release?
Old 3rd August 2020, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
I'm with you all the way on White Fire and would recommend that to everyone. It was absolutely amazing, and evidence that Arrow still know what they're doing. I also have a soft spot for Satan's Blade- it's well worth watching for The Hysteria Continues commentary, weird dream sequence and amateur acting!

For me, dream Arrow releases would be: The Blob 88, The Prowler, Halloween II (or Shout Factory style mega box set), Raw Force, Clue, Dawn of the Mummy, Night of the Demon, Demon Knight, My Bloody Valentine, Superstition, In the Mouth of Madness, The Uninvited, Demonoid, The Psychic, Event Horizon (with extended bits). Mostly pretty mainstream!

Theres probably loads more that'll come to mind. As I look at it, these are all Arrow 2009-2015 style releases. I cant see many of them coming out anytime soon! Do you think any of these would stand a chance of release?
It's a really good list . Out of those Superstition would be my 'most wanted'. Most, if not all are available from the US. If they are released by Shout then I'm inclined to wait as they usually turn up over here at some point with a better encode. I believe Demonoid is released by Vinegar Syndrome and I will get it from them at some point because they put out excellent product.

But yeah, no argument from me that this is the stuff Arrow should be looking at. I suspect they are but relationships (or lack of) with the licensors may be the issue? I think The Blob, Halloween II, My Bloody Valentine, In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon (probably not with missing footage) will definitely turn up at some point. Out of those I think ItMoM would be the most likely to be an Arrow release!
Old 3rd August 2020, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm clearly out of the podcast loop.
You're not the only one, I get recommends all the time ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd August 2020, 05:20 PM
Cultist

Alot of these type of films turn up on Amazon Prime Video these days. I was going to pull the trigger on Blood Beat from vinegar syndrome for £30 (agree, their prints are amazing) until I saw the hd restoration for free on Prime.

I know it's just not the same as the physical media, but if you just want to see the film, rather than own it, Prime usually has it. I saw Incubus, Night of the demon (crappy quality), evils of the night and Demon Wind this way over lockdown.

Amazon also have most of the shameless releases. It was strange to see they had New York Ripper and Cannibal Holocaust strong version recently. Imagine Joe public stumbling across that!

Digital streaming will never trump physical media (which is why I hope arrow tv will disappear), but if you are paying for prime and just want to see the film, then the chances are prime will have it! Im aware I sound like an advert for Amazon, its just a tip. Cant stand streaming!
g053584398 likes this.
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:20 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Don't know if Arrow's THE GAME is the same as the Criterion transfer,but it looks and sounds great.The book is also a very informative read.
I might just be holding on to this,being such a Fincher fan.

I'll be picking up the std edition for the excellent 'Jigsaw' artwork when it arrives of course....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!