Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2020, 04:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

If they only released slashers and Italian horror they'd go out of business, 88 Films even branched out quite a bit in the last few years. I'm honestly surprised that Blue Underground is still in the black considering they seem to release the same 15 films over and over again but that's a different story.

However, I'm sure there are still plenty of things for 2021 which will please people and for a company that puts out around 50 releases in the year, 3 modern films isn't really going to make much difference.

And yes I do agree that Arrow's curation has changed a lot in 10 years, but rose tinted glasses, some of those early Blu-ray releases of sought after films were pretty crap quality wise.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd December 2020, 06:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

While Arrow are not the "cult classics" label they once were, there are only so many "classics" you can knock out before the well runs dry.

I love Fulci/Argento/Bava, but my interests have expanded over the years. I now like Noir, screwball comedies, recently I have been re-kindling my love of monster movies, so the Gamera set is definately my release of the year for 2020 (and yes, I loved the F13th & Dawn sets too).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it matter if Arrow release Doris Day pictures or Yakuza films or Superted remastered?

As consumers, we have free choice to buy/watch what we want.

It's the movie that's important, not who releases it.
Justin101, Susan Foreman and Rob4 like this.
Old 2nd December 2020, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
While Arrow are not the "cult classics" label they once were, there are only so many "classics" you can knock out before the well runs dry.

I love Fulci/Argento/Bava, but my interests have expanded over the years. I now like Noir, screwball comedies, recently I have been re-kindling my love of monster movies, so the Gamera set is definately my release of the year for 2020 (and yes, I loved the F13th & Dawn sets too).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it matter if Arrow release Doris Day pictures or Yakuza films or Superted remastered?

Fecking hell! It would be fantastic if Arrow released some Doris Day movies. She made some really good comedies in the sixties with the likes of Rock Hudson, James Garner and Cary Grant.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

Awww I feel all warm and fuzzy after that post...
Justin101 likes this.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fecking hell! It would be fantastic if Arrow released some Doris Day movies. She made some really good comedies in the sixties with the likes of Rock Hudson, James Garner and Cary Grant.
My mother was a massive Doris Day fan and my daughter is also a massive Doris Day fan. Contemplating how many times I've seen That Touch of Mink makes me twitch...
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:17 PM
Active Cultist

Am I allowed to talk about those clock tower games again?
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Doris Day?
Don't tempt fate....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd say you're on the wrong forum.....
g053584398 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 2nd December 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As someone else said-start a new division for new films.

Who honestly got excited or appreciated:

Lake Michigan Monster
Hagazussa
The Deeper You Dig
Jesus Shows You The Highway
Zombie For Sale
After Midnight
Why Don't You Just Die?
Empathy Inc
Daniel Isn't Real
Harpoon
Aniara
The Dead Centre
Lords of Chaos

The only one I really enjoyed from the more modern selections was I See You.

Arrow are still a top label,even their editions of Tremors,Robocop and The Frighteners which have their cult followings,were mainstream films and are more than welcome to keep the coins flowing in.

All I'm saying is the Arrow Video label should be kept for the cult stuff and the modern stuff released on Arrow Video,or whatever......

Remember this?

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

To be honest I'm a horror whore, so I tend to enjoy anything horror-themed whether good, bad, indifferent, new, old, cult or mainstream.

I haven't seen any of the above but I suspect I'd get something out of them. It's just that collecting wise you do have to set some sort of limit and nowadays there's probably more horror films made every year than in the first 7 decades of cinema as a whole. So I concentrate on those from my younger days and like to make discoveries of films I haven't seen from the same period. It's not that I don't like modern stuff - I'm catching up with Black Mirror atm - its just I prefer the nostalgic (haha that moniker sounds familiar) aspect of collecting and viewing more. So every time Arrow release a new film, I'm just slightly disappointed it wasn't an undiscovered oldie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!