Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2021, 12:13 PM
Cultist

They are contemporary movies but I’d like to see arrow put out a small collection of Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani films.
Old 1st February 2021, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I would like to see Arrow release The Hitcher.
Old 1st February 2021, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

And Battle Royale.
Old 1st February 2021, 12:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
And Battle Royale.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st February 2021, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

This has been suggested by others before, but I would like Arrow to release the original THE EYE.
A features packed THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE would be nice too, if possible.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I love all his movies too. Even some of the movies he produced but didn’t direct have his bonkers trademark all over them and are great fun. Can’t believe 88 Films put out the 4 part documentary on the special features of Blind Date when it was already included with Arrows Island of Death. Then again probably part of the deal as old Nico is a marketing guru
You know...I thought I got that sense of deja vu when I started watching that doc....

I remember old Nico never showed up at the GFT for Arrow's showing of Island of Death...
g053584398 and Dave like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st February 2021, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

I wouldn't mind seeing:

Richard Gordon Collection of:
First Man Into Space
Corridors of Blood
Fiend Without a Face
Grip of the Strangler

Gordon Hessler Collection of:
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Cry of the Banshee
Scream and Scream Again
The Oblong Box

Tyburn Collection of:
Persecution
The Ghoul
Legend of the Werewolf

The above might be more to Indicator's liking though.

Also wouldn't mind The Pete Walker Collections reproduced in the UK

A second collection of Larraz movies would be good with Deviation included.

I think the minimal budget 'auteurs' might be getting thin on the ground soon
Old 1st February 2021, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
NEW UK TITLE: Battle Royale (Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray) also (Limited Edition Blu-ray)

Release date: April 26

The kids of Third Year Class-B Shiroiwa Junior High School are back, in a brand new UHD restoration of the classic cult shocker adapted from the controversial novel by Koushun Takami.

"The kids of Third Year Class-B Shiroiwa Junior High School are back, in a brand new UHD restoration of the classic cult shocker adapted from the controversial novel by Koushun Takami.

Presenting an alternate dystopian vision of turn-of-the-millennium Japan, Battle Royale follows the 42 junior high school students selected to take part in the government’s annual Battle Royale programme, established as an extreme method of addressing concerns about juvenile delinquency. Dispatched to a remote island, they are each given individual weapons (ranging from Uzis and machetes to pan lids and binoculars), food and water, and the order to go out and kill one other. Every player is fitted with an explosive collar around their neck, imposing a strict three-day time limit on the deadly games in which there can only be one survivor. Overseeing the carnage is ‘Beat’ Takeshi Kitano (Sonatine, Hana-bi, Zatoichi) as the teacher pushed to the edge by his unruly charges.

Playing like a turbo-charged hybrid of Lord of the Flies and The Most Dangerous Game, the final completed work by veteran yakuza film director Kinji Fukasaku (Battles without Honor and Humanity, Graveyard of Honor) helped launch a new wave of appreciation for Asian cinema in the 21st century. Also included in the set is the incendiary sequel Battle Royale II, the directing debut of Kenta Fukasaku (after his father passed away during production), in which a new class of delinquents are recruited by the government to hunt down the survivor of the deadly games of the first film."

Special features:

4K ULTRA HD LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version and Special Edition Director's Cut of Battle Royale from the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by Kenta Fukasaku
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation of both versions of Battle Royale in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Battle Royale II: Requiem theatrical cut and the Battle Royale II: Revenge extended cut
  • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Original soundtrack CD for Battle Royale [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Kinji Fukasaku: Man of Rage, an exclusive 120-page monograph on the director by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new essays by Matt Alt and Anne Billson and archival articles
  • Exclusive Battle Royale collectors' Trump Card set [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Reversible poster with new artwork [Limited Edition Exclusive]

DISC ONE - BATTLE ROYALE: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
  • Brand new audio commentary by critics Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
  • Battle Royale at 20: Back to School, an exclusive new 42-minute documentary about the legacy of Battle Royale
  • Bloody Education: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale, a brand new exclusive interview with the film's producer and screenwriter
  • The Making of Battle Royale: The Experience of 42 High School Students, documentary featuring footage from the shooting of the film and cast and crew discussions
  • The Slaughter of 42 High School Students, a look behind the scenes of the shoot
  • Behind the scenes footage with comments from the cast and crew
  • Filming on Set, a look at the shooting of key scenes from the film
  • Conducting Battle Royale with the Warsaw National Philharmonic, archive footage of Masamichi Amano conducting the soundtrack rehearsal

DISC TWO - BATTLE ROYALE: SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR'S CUT (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
  • Shooting the Special Edition, on-location featurette with footage of the cast and crew reuniting for the shoot of the Special Edition
  • Royale Rehearsals, featurette on Kinji Fukasaku directing the film's young cast
  • Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale, archive featurette
  • Takeshi Kitano Interview, filmed on location with the Japanese star
  • The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale, instructional video explaining the rules of the game
  • The Correct Way to Make 'Battle Royale': Birthday Version, a new version of the original instructional video made to celebrate Kinji Fukasaku's birthday
  • Premiere Press Conference, preceding the film's first public screening
  • Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation, with footage from the gala screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival
  • Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre, archive footage of the Japanese opening
  • Special Effects Comparison showing how the film's violent killings were created
  • Original Trailers and TV spots
  • Kinji Fukasaku trailer reel, a collection of original trailers for Fukasaku's classic yakuza films from the 70s
  • Image Gallery

DISC THREE - BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM (BLU-RAY)
  • Bloody Graduation: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale II, an exclusive brand new interview with the director and screenwriter of Battle Royale II
  • Behind the Scenes of Battle Royale II, on-location featurette during the film's shoot
  • Rehearsals footage of the auditions and pre-production rehearsals
  • War and Struggle, featurette of the cast discussing their thoughts on war
  • Alternate Piano Scene
  • The Recording of the Music Score, archive footage of Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Opening Gala with The Orchestra, featuring a public introduction by the director and main cast
  • Battle Royale II Premiere, a featurette on the film's first screening at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
  • Trailers and TV spots
  • Image gallery

DISC FOUR - BATTLE ROYALE II: REVENGE (BLU-RAY)
  • A Tribute to Kinji Fukasaku, featuring scenes of Kinji Fukasaku on the location of Battle Royale II
  • Kinji Fukasaku's 73rd Birthday: A Speech by Kenta Fukasaku, paying public tribute to his father

DISC FIVE - BATTLE ROYALE (SOUNDTRACK CD)
  • CD featuring the complete score to Battle Royale by Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

No comment!!!
Old 1st February 2021, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Going to go against the grain here.

I've loved every Nico Mastorakis film i've seen - Island of Death, Blind Date, The Zero Boys, The Wind, Nightmare at Noon and Hired to Kill.

He can do no wrong for me.
I'm very partial to his films myself, although I haven't seen them all. I'm more than happy that Arrow and 88 keep releasing stuff from his back catalogue. How can anyone not enjoy Hired to Kill?
Old 1st February 2021, 10:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing:

Richard Gordon Collection of:
First Man Into Space
Corridors of Blood
Fiend Without a Face
Grip of the Strangler

Gordon Hessler Collection of:
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Cry of the Banshee
Scream and Scream Again
The Oblong Box

Tyburn Collection of:
Persecution
The Ghoul
Legend of the Werewolf

The above might be more to Indicator's liking though.

Also wouldn't mind The Pete Walker Collections reproduced in the UK

A second collection of Larraz movies would be good with Deviation included.

I think the minimal budget 'auteurs' might be getting thin on the ground soon
I'd be all over those as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!