Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

So i take it the modern films will be bunged in as well, resulting in a non distinct label, ie just a company putting out films.

Look forward to more modern re issues and a complete loss of identity as it becomes anonymous Arrow.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:56 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
So i take it the modern films will be bunged in as well, resulting in a non distinct label, ie just a company putting out films.

Look forward to more modern re issues and a complete loss of identity as it becomes anonymous Arrow.
Possibly not

It's just Arrow Academy and Arrow Video which are merging

Arrow Films will still be a separate entity, releasing the modern films

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:18 AM
Active Cultist

Well if there anything we r going to see less of, itll be the more the film noir and arthouse flicks rather than the horror and cults flicks. Hence why it academy that's being absorbed into video.
Old 23rd March 2021, 02:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
Well if there anything we r going to see less of, itll be the more the film noir and arthouse flicks rather than the horror and cults flicks. Hence why it academy that's being absorbed into video.
Or perhaps it's to disguise the fact that they are releasing less cult genre titles.

At the end of each month we'll get six announcements. Battle Royale plus two more Asian films, a noir, some sort of Hollywood blockbuster and a film by a Polish director none of us have heard of... an easy way to phase out stuff like The Mutilator and nobody will notice.

They have a lot of competition now in releasing genre titles from the likes of 88, Eureka, 101, Studiocanal... perhaps they've decided it's not worth the effort.
Old 23rd March 2021, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Or perhaps it's to disguise the fact that they are releasing less cult genre titles.

At the end of each month we'll get six announcements. Battle Royale plus two more Asian films, a noir, some sort of Hollywood blockbuster and a film by a Polish director none of us have heard of... an easy way to phase out stuff like The Mutilator and nobody will notice.

They have a lot of competition now in releasing genre titles from the likes of 88, Eureka, 101, Studiocanal... perhaps they've decided it's not worth the effort.
Hahah that made me laugh, but at least a couple of have heard of that Polish director, we have watched Mark Cousins' 'The Story of Film An Odyssey' more than once before.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd March 2021, 02:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

I think the problem was that the Academy label was too schizophrenic. It's a wide remit trying to fit old hollywood classics alongside, foreign language and trippy/dippy stuff. For me, the noir should always have been on the Video label.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd March 2021, 03:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Essentially, when Academy first appeared and they were releasing classic world cinema films like Bicycle Thieves, Rafifi, Cinema Paradiso and the Fassbinder films. They had very little competition, Tartan had vanished, Artificial Eye seemed to be on a break and Eureka hadn't started taking over the niche like they did.

Now there are loads of boutique labels who all have their own 'style' and Academy and Video have lost their identity, clearly with their sights set on being the UK equivalent of Shout Factory (although I guess they think it's Criterion). Their release quality is second to none, but their brand identity seems to have gone a bit skewiff...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd March 2021, 08:21 PM
Cult Master

"***DARKNESS UPDATE***

“CHECKING IN 03/22/2021 - This May 3rd will be two years since we announced the BluRay coming from Arrow Video, so understandably many have started asking if it's still happening.

Long story short - YES, the BluRay IS still in the works and we hope for Arrow to officially announce it before too many more months pass. Not sure if it will be released this year or next in 2022 for it's official 30th Anniversary, but it IS still coming.

Clearly we've had a lot of delays and holdups. Complicated technical issues have been a big part of the problems and obviously, like for everybody, the Covid shutdown threw things into chaos and completely off the rails. To start, I had to race to pack out my little production office I was renting and working in to pile it all into my house with about 48 hours notice before they locked us all out of the building. I've been huddled in the corner of what is pretty much a storage room filled with boxes and posters working on a tiny desk ever since.

There's also been a lot of delays due to real life/family situations, including my being plagued by some health issues. I don't vent online much about my personal problems, but early in the work there was a stretch of several months where I had a health scare that just flat out derailed the work. It turned out ok, but the situation was pretty serious. And recently, currently, I've been generally sick for several months. Two Covid tests have come back negative, but now there's thinking I might have actually had it over a year ago and am experiencing long term after effects, what is being referred to as "long hauler" issues. The docs have stepped up with more aggressive testing, but nothing has been conclusive yet. I go in for a high definition CT scan at the end of the month - hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it all soon.

That's not to say I'm completely laid up or bed ridden because I'm not. Though it is in a notably diminished capacity, I am still functioning and work is progressing on the Blu - just very slowly. The fact is, I've worked on it a few hours today, will work on it several more hours tonight, and have worked on it at least some almost every day for the last few months.

I ask that you please excuse what was now clearly a highly premature announcement, a big mistake on my part (due to my excitement at the news) and be patient a little while longer. Straight up, the delays for the most part are all on me (not Arrow Video at all) but I promise it is happening and I'll try not to die before I get it all wrapped up.

I'll post more of a regular update soon.”

BeAst WisheS - Leif Jonker"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic088 - Arrow Darkness.jpg (64.6 KB, 16 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seems like its the end of the arrow we once knew , think like me many here found the site because of arrow.

But not all bad as many labels have popped up that are releasing better stuff than arrow have of late
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:33 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah I found this site because of arrow.
So far in this years line up it looks like no new releases for me. (Or if there is, it's not interesting enough for me to remember)

I keep saying it but overall 88 films is who I buy from the most. Best variety of different interests for sure!

Like this? Share it using the links below!