Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2021, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

It's only as obscure as anything else if you don't have the knowledge about it. Personally Kingdom of the Spiders means nothing to me, that's just some 'obscure' sci-fi monster movie, I've never seen it, the name barely registers as something I might of heard before.

It's very likely to be this Japanese film, the photo clues for the past few months have not been for their big ticket releases it's been for the interesting stuff that you might not have seen before, I'm all for it. Saying that I probably won't buy it, I'm saving money and precious space lately, buying maybe 4 things per month max
Susan Foreman and Rob4 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th March 2021, 06:13 PM
Cult Master

4K Spider Baby going by all the recent 4K re-releases.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's only as obscure as anything else if you don't have the knowledge about it. Personally Kingdom of the Spiders means nothing to me, that's just some 'obscure' sci-fi monster movie, I've never seen it, the name barely registers as something I might of heard before.

It's very likely to be this Japanese film, the photo clues for the past few months have not been for their big ticket releases it's been for the interesting stuff that you might not have seen before, I'm all for it. Saying that I probably won't buy it, I'm saving money and precious space lately, buying maybe 4 things per month max
Agree with this^

If it is Irezumi it actually sounds pretty good. This is from imdb:

"Shinsuke and Otsuya, his boss' daughter runs away to get married, but they are betrayed by the inn owner, Kenji. Otsuya is sold to Tokubei's brothel. Seikichi, a mysterious tattoo artist puts his masterpiece, a human-faced spider, on her back. She and her lover are then forced into a conspiracy-born nightmare, where they face the danger of becoming the very evil they seek to escape. With each new bloody incident, the spider's face seems to redden with ever-growing hunger."

It sounds a lot more interesting than Shatner in a cabin with spiders, although tbh I'd like to see that too

PS Arrow surely have to do Blind Beast soon - a must have, totally batshit crazy film
Old 24th March 2021, 08:42 PM
Cultist

Each too their own.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:54 PM
Cultist

I think for me, I am happiest seeing things turn up that I have a passing knowledge of. It's great to see a left field surprise, eg White Fire, but the best releases should have some sort of hook. Ideally of the nostalgic kind.

For me, Kingdom of The Spiders works because I saw it years ago and it messed me up. It has some sort of resonance. I must be the only person about who loves Eurekas Pulse for the same reason.

Equally, if I've heard of a film, a director, or I like the look of the story or it has a reputation then that's cool too. But a blind punt on obscure stuff is a big ask given recent releases. I did that with Black Car and its put me off.

Anyway, it'll be Arachnid.4k UHD box set.
Old 24th March 2021, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

May be possible that the family have cashed in and sold to a bigger company.

Doesn't neccessarily mean they're in trouble.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Hut Group is a monster......

https://www.thg.com/

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:19 AM
Active Cultist

another possibility (not that im expecting it to be) is that the image could be relating to a collection of Nu Image's spiders flick's. You know the ones that have been rereleased more times than battle Royale.
Just i noticed another company (i think it was mediumrare) was releasing the crocodile films that nu image made so just wondering if the other creature features they did been sold to other uk distributers (yet again).

As for Arrow, well let's face it they've been going downhill longer than a year before covid struck.
I agree that it was arrow that got me back into buying special edition of genre movies after anchor bay's collapse and i certainly glad that they did release other stuff beyond Italian b movies and 80's slasher flicks (i was over the moon when mgm started to license their back libary), but at the same time there's no been enough variety or films of interest for me to be buying them just because of a brand label.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:34 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd be thrilled if it was Irezumi, which I reviewed on DVD completely blind some fourteen years ago, and it was a really startling experience:

Quote:
Never previously released in Britain (it's hard to imagine the BBFC of the 1960s passing it uncut), this is a startlingly vicious quasi-feminist melodrama in which pawnbroker's daughter Otsuya (Ayako Wakao) is kidnapped, chloroformed, forced to work as a geisha and tattooed with a sinister spider covering much of her back. But she is far from a passive victim, as the tattooist's prediction that the spider will take over her soul turns out to be completely accurate, and her increasingly predatory attitude towards her clients (especially if they occupy positions of power) spills over into ice-blooded murder. The sexual politics are further complicated by her ongoing relationship with her naïve lover Shinsuke (Akio Hasegawa), simultaneously repelled and riveted by what she is becoming.
(I simply can't fathom the notion that one has to have heard of a film before in order to appreciate it. In fact, when I go to festivals and work my way through every entry in the main competition I deliberately don't do any reading-up in advance, so that when the lights go down literally all I know is what I can glean from the title. And experiences like that make me really conscious of just how much our viewing is normally shaped by hype and marketing.)
Old 25th March 2021, 05:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Agree with this^

If it is Irezumi it actually sounds pretty good. This is from imdb:

"Shinsuke and Otsuya, his boss' daughter runs away to get married, but they are betrayed by the inn owner, Kenji. Otsuya is sold to Tokubei's brothel. Seikichi, a mysterious tattoo artist puts his masterpiece, a human-faced spider, on her back. She and her lover are then forced into a conspiracy-born nightmare, where they face the danger of becoming the very evil they seek to escape. With each new bloody incident, the spider's face seems to redden with ever-growing hunger."

It sounds a lot more interesting than Shatner in a cabin with spiders, although tbh I'd like to see that too

Smilies [More]

PS Arrow surely have to do Blind Beast soon - a must have, totally batshit crazy film
I bought Irezumi years ago and it is one of so many still languishing on my to-watch pile. Even though I've never seen it I would still be up for a Blu-ray release.

Having said all that, I would prefer it if the title in question turned out to be Black Belly Of The Tarantula.

Last edited by g053584398; 25th March 2021 at 06:53 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!