Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2021, 06:47 PM
Cultist

Just amazed Zavvi is able to buy another company at all really. I suppose Arrow are the cornerstone of physical media, and this is Zavvi's main business, but still. Didnt they go bust not too long ago? Or am I mixing that up with HMV? I hope they dont take Arrow with them if they go bust again.

Does this mean Zavvi control Arrow's USA distribution as well? Could be a foot in the door of a larger market.

I still think Arrow's dumbest move is their streaming service. Guys, either you flog physical media, or you're a streaming business. God knows why the company insists on eating it's own lunch. Hopefully Zavvi will shut the digital crap down. I wonder how much revenue it brings in for Arrow though?

Will we get to a point where Arrows blu ray business folds and moves online entirely? Part of me wakes up screaming about the prospect...

Is this the plan Zavvi?
Old 28th March 2021, 10:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Just amazed Zavvi is able to buy another company at all really. I suppose Arrow are the cornerstone of physical media, and this is Zavvi's main business, but still. Didnt they go bust not too long ago? Or am I mixing that up with HMV? I hope they dont take Arrow with them if they go bust again.

Does this mean Zavvi control Arrow's USA distribution as well? Could be a foot in the door of a larger market.

I still think Arrow's dumbest move is their streaming service. Guys, either you flog physical media, or you're a streaming business. God knows why the company insists on eating it's own lunch. Hopefully Zavvi will shut the digital crap down. I wonder how much revenue it brings in for Arrow though?

Will we get to a point where Arrows blu ray business folds and moves online entirely? Part of me wakes up screaming about the prospect...

Is this the plan Zavvi?
Zavvi hasn't bought Arrow. Zavvi is just another online company owned by The Hut .com which is the company that has bought Arrow. The Hut is a massive company with lots of online interests.

All your other speculations though are valid points but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out. I doubt anything much will change in the first year except perhaps Zavvi will get more Arrow exclusives e.g. steelbooks, etc.

I don't agree with you on the streaming. It's not for me personally but companies would be stupid not to diversify their product to meet modern trends.

Physical media for films will become like a vinyl niche market (it probably already is) and that is an inevitability.
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 29th March 2021, 12:54 AM
Cult Addict

Whenever anyone mentions "The Hut" all i think about is Jabba or Pizza...

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th March 2021, 06:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Zavvi hasn't bought Arrow. Zavvi is just another online company owned by The Hut .com which is the company that has bought Arrow. The Hut is a massive company with lots of online interests.
Exactly Rob.
All this fretting about Arrow isn't needed.
As long as someone is there making the cult choices.

It looks to me like the more mainstream titles bankroll the more niche and cult titles....which is fine with me!
Nordicdusk and Graeme73 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th March 2021, 02:33 PM
Cult Master

Easter Carnage sale

The sale ends at 11:59pm on April 13th!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic094 - Arrow 2021 Easter sale.jpg (96.2 KB, 15 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th March 2021, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I'd be thrilled if it was Irezumi, which I reviewed on DVD completely blind some fourteen years ago, and it was a really startling experience:

(I simply can't fathom the notion that one has to have heard of a film before in order to appreciate it. In fact, when I go to festivals and work my way through every entry in the main competition I deliberately don't do any reading-up in advance, so that when the lights go down literally all I know is what I can glean from the title. And experiences like that make me really conscious of just how much our viewing is normally shaped by hype and marketing.)

Most of the films I buy I’ve never seen before. Like Charlie Manson said in South Park: “If I ain’t seen it, it’s new to me!” Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th March 2021, 07:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Easter Carnage sale

The sale ends at 11:59pm on April 13th!

Another sale?! Didn’t they only just have the pre-Christmas sale, the post Christmas sale, the “beat the January blues” sale and the February Frenzy sale? They’ll be the Officer’s Club of physical media!

What I really need is a good 88 films sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st April 2021, 10:33 AM
Cult Master

Arrow's April 1st jape

"Ever wanted to be the lead star in your favourite movie? Introducing an Arrow x Re-Fake partnership

Take advantage of the latest deepfake technologies and place yourself at the heart of the action - The possibilities are endless

Coming April 2022"

Old 3rd April 2021, 09:48 AM
Cult Master

Third Window Films
(released through Arrow)

'One Cut of the Dead - Hollywood Edition' (2019) - Blu-Ray Pre-order available from Arrow Films direct - £18:00

Release date: May 31

"One of the biggest Japanese hits in years is back with a super special limited edition!

This ‘Hollywood’ edition features the spin off film One Cut of the Dead in Hollywood as well as tons of other bonus material!

Over 4 hours of content!

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD

A cast of relative unknowns, a brilliantly disguised low budget and an epic, 37-minute opening single take makes Shinichiro Ueda's feature debut a bright, breezy and laugh-out-loud hilarious zombie comedy. A film crew is shooting a zombie horror flick in an abandoned water filtration plant, allegedly used for human experiments by the military. Just as the director browbeats his actors and demands more special effects blood, a real zombie apocalypse erupts, much to his auteur delight.

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD IN HOLLYWOOD

The spin-off to One Cut of the Dead boasts more zealous zombies and a former cast beefed up with international characters. As in the original, the plot centers on the Higurashi family, the starlet Chinatsu, a pretty-boy actor, a cameraman with a bad back, a tomboy assistant camera girl and the usual bumbling underlings. Besides a couple of easy-going producers, the film has added the new characters Joe and Tommy. And there are more zombies than ever!"

Special Features:
  • "One Cut of the Dead” feature (96 mins)
  • “One Cut of the Dead in Hollywood” Spin-off Movie (57 mins)
  • Making of One Cut of the Dead (45 mins)
  • Director Shinichiro Ueda Interview (18 mins)
  • Raw “One Cut of the Dead” GoPro footage (38 mins)
  • POM Instruction Video (1 min)
  • “One Cut of the Dead” Outtakes (5 min)
  • Slipcase featuring artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
  • Reversible Sleeve with artwork from both movies
  • Limited to 2000 copies

MrBarlow likes this.

Old 4th April 2021, 02:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Arrow's April Fool's jape actually turned out to be something else. Today I and several other people on blu-raydotcom received Demons replacement discs for our 4K UHD sets. We were all sent just regular blu-rays, absolutely no-one got an actual UHD disc despite clearly ordering the 4K UHD version directly from the Arrow shop.

Can't say I'm impressed, I'm sure overseas buyers will be thrilled when they finally get their replacement copy and it turns out to be in the wrong format. I have sent them a (polite) email about it along with my order number and a photo of what I actually got. Still I suppose that it could have been worse, Arrow might have sent out betamax copies.

Like this? Share it using the links below!