Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

PaulD 9th August 2013 06:28 AM

The thing is an argument could easily be made that surely more obscure VHS-titles are likely to sell less, due to them being less well-known? Factor in the cost of restorating the print and it seems obvious why companies won't go near such a thing. It seems like such a big risk.

I do find it tiresome when Arrow reissue and repackage their previous releases (The Beyond steelbook, however many damn Battle Royale editions) but have no problem with them releasing stuff on bluray that hasn't been released before. There are loads of films I'm not keen on (Time Bandits, all the erotic stuff) but that's the benefit of wide-ranging cult releases.

fuzzymctiger 9th August 2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357494)
The thing is an argument could easily be made that surely more obscure VHS-titles are likely to sell less, due to them being less well-known? Factor in the cost of restorating the print and it seems obvious why companies won't go near such a thing. It seems like such a big risk.

I do find it tiresome when Arrow reissue and repackage their previous releases (The Beyond steelbook, however many damn Battle Royale editions) but have no problem with them releasing stuff on bluray that hasn't been released before. There are loads of films I'm not keen on (Time Bandits, all the erotic stuff) but that's the benefit of wide-ranging cult releases.

The good thing about Time Bandits is its a Terry Gilliam film, getting a brand new transfer because the old one looked like pants, I think that it would bring in a lot of money from people who don't know Arrow, paving the way for more cult releases, or even old VHS movies :)

Another problem I think, is that because Arrow is nearly solely blu ray now, except for ArrowDrome, that that could be another reason why we don't see them. Things like Initation, Pin and The Vineyard, back in the day probably would have gotten new artwork and a white case, like Pieces and Slaughter High, but now that the main line is pretty much devoted to the blu/dual format, with ArrowDrome taking DVD only titles, I don't think we'll see many more.

gag 9th August 2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 357494)

The films don't have to be obscure etc surely there is a lot of films that where big titles in the day that haven't been converted yet?

Rik 9th August 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 357218)
**** me, de ja vu.

:lol:

Daemonia 9th August 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davcol (Post 357485)
I dont really differentiate between BD and DVD as i cant tell the difference.

:doh:

zane 12th August 2013 09:35 PM

So Tim Lucas just posted this on facebook:

"I contributed liner notes to this new Arrow Films release, which the frame grabs here indicate looks absolutely sumptuous. I've also been commissioned by Arrow to record an audio commentary for the next Corman/Poe release, PIT AND THE PENDULUM!"

Rik 12th August 2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 358422)

"I contributed liner notes to this new Arrow Films release, which the frame grabs here indicate looks absolutely sumptuous. I've also been commissioned by Arrow to record an audio commentary for the next Corman/Poe release, PIT AND THE PENDULUM!"

:woot: I love Pit and the Pendulum, here's hoping they release all the Corman/Poe/Price films :woot:

Nordicdusk 12th August 2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 358422)

This is amazing news.
:rockon:

J Harker 12th August 2013 09:52 PM

Awesome stuff. These films are among my favourites. I hope The Raven gets a release.

Rik 12th August 2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 358433)
Awesome stuff. These films are among my favourites. I hope The Raven gets a release.

Mine too, give me a Corman/Poe film any day over a DePalma film :nod: