Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2013, 06:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The thing is an argument could easily be made that surely more obscure VHS-titles are likely to sell less, due to them being less well-known? Factor in the cost of restorating the print and it seems obvious why companies won't go near such a thing. It seems like such a big risk.

I do find it tiresome when Arrow reissue and repackage their previous releases (The Beyond steelbook, however many damn Battle Royale editions) but have no problem with them releasing stuff on bluray that hasn't been released before. There are loads of films I'm not keen on (Time Bandits, all the erotic stuff) but that's the benefit of wide-ranging cult releases.
Old 9th August 2013, 06:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The thing is an argument could easily be made that surely more obscure VHS-titles are likely to sell less, due to them being less well-known? Factor in the cost of restorating the print and it seems obvious why companies won't go near such a thing. It seems like such a big risk.

I do find it tiresome when Arrow reissue and repackage their previous releases (The Beyond steelbook, however many damn Battle Royale editions) but have no problem with them releasing stuff on bluray that hasn't been released before. There are loads of films I'm not keen on (Time Bandits, all the erotic stuff) but that's the benefit of wide-ranging cult releases.
The good thing about Time Bandits is its a Terry Gilliam film, getting a brand new transfer because the old one looked like pants, I think that it would bring in a lot of money from people who don't know Arrow, paving the way for more cult releases, or even old VHS movies

Another problem I think, is that because Arrow is nearly solely blu ray now, except for ArrowDrome, that that could be another reason why we don't see them. Things like Initation, Pin and The Vineyard, back in the day probably would have gotten new artwork and a white case, like Pieces and Slaughter High, but now that the main line is pretty much devoted to the blu/dual format, with ArrowDrome taking DVD only titles, I don't think we'll see many more.
PaulD likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th August 2013, 06:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

The films don't have to be obscure etc surely there is a lot of films that where big titles in the day that haven't been converted yet?
Old 9th August 2013, 09:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
**** me, de ja vu.
platostotal likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th August 2013, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I dont really differentiate between BD and DVD as i cant tell the difference.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

So Tim Lucas just posted this on facebook:

"I contributed liner notes to this new Arrow Films release, which the frame grabs here indicate looks absolutely sumptuous. I've also been commissioned by Arrow to record an audio commentary for the next Corman/Poe release, PIT AND THE PENDULUM!"
Old 12th August 2013, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post

"I contributed liner notes to this new Arrow Films release, which the frame grabs here indicate looks absolutely sumptuous. I've also been commissioned by Arrow to record an audio commentary for the next Corman/Poe release, PIT AND THE PENDULUM!"
I love Pit and the Pendulum, here's hoping they release all the Corman/Poe/Price films
trebor8273 and Nordicdusk like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post

This is amazing news.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

Awesome stuff. These films are among my favourites. I hope The Raven gets a release.
Rik likes this.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Awesome stuff. These films are among my favourites. I hope The Raven gets a release.
Mine too, give me a Corman/Poe film any day over a DePalma film

Like this? Share it using the links below!