LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2021, 06:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

'Fraid I've opted for ze steelie.

Looks like this is US only?

That's old Reaps' 49th sorted this year!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th May 2021, 09:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I really like Dune but I've decided to just stick with my US Universal blu-ray. Would have been quite a different matter if Arrow were providing an extended cut as well. Call me crazy but that US bd was actually very decent. It was a vintage movie blu-ray release that actually looked like film instead of the usual artificial rubbish that you'd quite often get from Universal. My only complaint is the print damage during effects shots. btw Never seen the old UK blu-ray of Dune but I have read that it looked terrible.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 4th June 2021, 02:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Looks like this is US only?
Pretty sure that Arrow's Dune is a Zavvi exclusive in the UK. Which would explain why you're only seeing US copies up for pre-order.
Old 4th June 2021, 03:42 PM
Cultist

Hi all, what does everyone think about the Arrow prices lately? Tempted by Over The Edge, but not at £17.99. I'm sure releases used to be 12.99, then 14.99. Is £17.99 the way forward?

Also, when's the next Arrow sale? I thought they usually had one over May bank hols, but no sign...
Old 4th June 2021, 04:39 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Hi all, what does everyone think about the Arrow prices lately? Tempted by Over The Edge, but not at £17.99. I'm sure releases used to be 12.99, then 14.99. Is £17.99 the way forward?

Also, when's the next Arrow sale? I thought they usually had one over May bank hols, but no sign...
I have a theory that the physical media industry is on its last legs now and the only way these companies can survive is to extract as much money as they can from the die hards.
Vinyl is the exception to that rule.
Old 4th June 2021, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post

It's only six weeks since they last had a sale.
Old 4th June 2021, 04:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I have a theory that the physical media industry is on its last legs now and the only way these companies can survive is to extract as much money as they can from the die hards.
Vinyl is the exception to that rule.
Physical media certainly took a hit last year but i've noticed the supermarkets round here are now getting several new releases every week so perhaps the market is returning to pre lockdown levels slightly. When i say new releases i don't just mean stuff like Justice League and Raya the Last Dragon but more direct to dvd titles too.
Old 4th June 2021, 04:49 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Physical media certainly took a hit last year but i've noticed the supermarkets round here are now getting several new releases every week so perhaps the market is returning to pre lockdown levels slightly. When i say new releases i don't just mean stuff like Justice League and Raya the Last Dragon but more direct to dvd titles too.
I have zero evidence of what I posted its just a feeling i get and personally I wouldn't be happy if streaming killed it off completely. If that does happen i can see a future where things are tinkered with to suit the puritanical minded that I'm sure we are all aware of.
Off topic I know sorry.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 4th June 2021, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I have zero evidence of what I posted its just a feeling i get and personally I wouldn't be happy if streaming killed it off completely. If that does happen i can see a future where things are tinkered with to suit the puritanical minded that I'm sure we are all aware of.
Off topic I know sorry.
It could simply be that Arrow and 88 Films think because they add a booklet and folded poster plus lobby card repro's that they can charge a tenner more.
Old 4th June 2021, 05:03 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It could simply be that Arrow and 88 Films think because they add a booklet and folded poster plus lobby card repro's that they can charge a tenner more.
I haven't bought an 88films release since HMV nearly bust. I pick up the odd Arrow release in a sale but not lately.

Like this? Share it using the links below!