Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2021, 05:23 PM
Cultist

Yeah, I dont mind paying more for a knock out title (eg 101's Hell Night) or a nice presentation (The Game), but £17.99 for a standard blu n' booklet is just a bit steep. Especially if it's a blind buy, as 99% of Arrow releases tend to be these days. I might go to 17.99 on Phantom of The Mall, as it has a reputation, but 17.99 on something like The Stylist is a non-starter.

I also think the £59.99 tag on Bill Rebane & William Grefe is crazy. That's the reason the Grefe set is still knocking about discounted- it wasn't priced to sell on initial release.

As for 88 films, they've gone mad trying to flog Killer Birds for a similar cost to their Urban Legend & I know what You Did box sets.

I do think physical media is the way to go and I would never pay for the Arrow streaming service, but greed will sink the whole thing. Perhaps The Hut are behind the recent price hike?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 4th June 2021, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

On the flip side I'll happily pay a fiver a month to stream the Arrow films because it's cheaper than spending £15-18 on a film you might end up only watching once. For the newer releases on the Arrow Player you get all of the extra features as well so it's a no brainer. It also means that for that fiver I can watch the entire Gamera series if I want, effectively saving £75, or the Grefe box set for example.

Personally I blame Criterion for these £17.99 price tags, when they first appeared on the UK scene people scoffed at the price saying that no-one will pay that much, and 2 years down the line, it turns out people will and do pay that much, the other boutiques have taken notice and not wanting their product to be seen as 'less than' have joined the ranks.

As for 88 Films and their special editions, they've seen that very same model succeed for Arrow and Second Sight so why not join the party? The problem there is that the films they're selecting for that treatment are not good enough...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th June 2021, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Yeah, I dont mind paying more for a knock out title (eg 101's Hell Night) or a nice presentation (The Game), but £17.99 for a standard blu n' booklet is just a bit steep. Especially if it's a blind buy, as 99% of Arrow releases tend to be these days. I might go to 17.99 on Phantom of The Mall, as it has a reputation, but 17.99 on something like The Stylist is a non-starter.

I also think the £59.99 tag on Bill Rebane & William Grefe is crazy. That's the reason the Grefe set is still knocking about discounted- it wasn't priced to sell on initial release.

As for 88 films, they've gone mad trying to flog Killer Birds for a similar cost to their Urban Legend & I know what You Did box sets.

I do think physical media is the way to go and I would never pay for the Arrow streaming service, but greed will sink the whole thing. Perhaps The Hut are behind the recent price hike?
Where is the Grefe set knocking around discounted? Sixty quid in HMV here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 4th June 2021, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran

It's £50 on Amazon which seems to be the cheapest place, not exactly what I'd call 'discounted'.

However, if people think £60 is expensive for an 8 film box set (£7.50 per film) then they definitely shouldn't look into importing films from America for example, you'd be paying half of that for a single film most of the time.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 4th June 2021, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's £50 on Amazon which seems to be the cheapest place, not exactly what I'd call 'discounted'.

However, if people think £60 is expensive for an 8 film box set (£7.50 per film) then they definitely shouldn't look into importing films from America for example, you'd be paying half of that for a single film most of the time.
When you think. In 2005-10 you could pick up discs from Blue Underground for four quid delivered from AllYourMusic and those Shriek Show triple packs. I never paid above a fiver delivered for any of them.

How times have changed.
g053584398 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I'm guilty of seeing the price and thinking i'm not paying sixty quid for one release. However you are correct in saying that you should narrow it down to price per movie which is acceptable.

However i'm not paying £80 for that Indiana Jones set. No way.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When you think. In 2005-10 you could pick up discs from Blue Underground for four quid delivered from AllYourMusic and those Shriek Show triple packs. I never paid above a fiver delivered for any of them.

How times have changed.
It's sad indeed and Blue Underground are one of the worst lots, their blurays are usually around £20-25 these days and then you have to stick the VAT on top. At least you can still get 'free' delivery from WowHD for your order hah.
g053584398 likes this.

Old 4th June 2021, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's sad indeed and Blue Underground are one of the worst lots, their blurays are usually around £20-25 these days and then you have to stick the VAT on top. At least you can still get 'free' delivery from WowHD for your order hah.
In a way i'm lucky because i don't think there's anything solely released by BU that i want to upgrade.

...Unless there will eventually be a Blind Dead box set of the four films.
nosferatu42 and markchro like this.
Old 4th June 2021, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I'm guilty of seeing the price and thinking i'm not paying sixty quid for one release. However you are correct in saying that you should narrow it down to price per movie which is acceptable.

However i'm not paying £80 for that Indiana Jones set. No way.
I'm very tempted, but I've been burned too many times by major studio releases, it'll be half that price in less than 12 months. A lot of items were bought at full price (studio releases) only for them to be in flash sales and heavily discounted before I'd even got time to watch them. I'm seeing it with the 4K box sets already like Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings, both of which you can get £15-£20 off just 3 or 4 months later.

Old 4th June 2021, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
In a way i'm lucky because i don't think there's anything solely released by BU that i want to upgrade.

...Unless there will eventually be a Blind Dead box set of the four films.
That'll be Synapse and you'll likely have to put a new mortgage on your house to pay for it

Like this? Share it using the links below!