Old 21st March 2023, 08:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Looks like Arrow are releasing 'The Lighthouse'
It's not one I'll buy because I'm more than happy with the 2020 Universal Pictures Blu-ray release, one with excellent AV quality, a couple of interesting featurettes, and an interesting and illuminating (pardon the pun) commentary.
Old 21st March 2023, 09:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's not one I'll buy because I'm more than happy with the 2020 Universal Pictures Blu-ray release, one with excellent AV quality, a couple of interesting featurettes, and an interesting and illuminating (pardon the pun) commentary.
It's not one I'll buy because it's arsefodder and I took the 2020 Universal Pictures Blu-ray release to Cex.
Old 21st March 2023, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's not one I'll buy because it's arsefodder and I took the 2020 Universal Pictures Blu-ray release to Cex.
Although it's the most critically acclaimed film featuring lighthouses i genuinely think it's the worst i've seen from an entertaining point of view.

Tower of Terror, The Phantom Light, Tower of Evil, The Fog, The Light at the Edge of the World, Lighthouse Keeper, Cold Skin, Lighthouse and the excellent Gerard Butler / Peter Mullan film The Vanishing are all more enjoyable to me.

Only the Craig Sheffer film Widow's Point is worse and that's mainly because the lighthouse is brand spanking new, painted red and sat in the middle of a town.

I did like The Lighthouse more on second viewing but it's not one i'd ever upgrade to Blu-ray unless it was in a charity shop for a quid.
Old 21st March 2023, 09:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Tower of Terror, The Phantom Light, Tower of Evil, The Fog, The Light at the Edge of the World, Lighthouse Keeper, Cold Skin, Lighthouse and the excellent Gerard Butler / Peter Mullan film The Vanishing are all more enjoyable to me.
Most, if not all, of those would be much more appealing releases to me and, would be profitable for Arrow because they haven't had decent high definition releases recently.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Most, if not all, of those would be much more appealing releases to me and, would be profitable for Arrow because they haven't had decent high definition releases recently.
The Fog's 4K release by Studiocanal is superb.

The British slasher Lighthouse doesn't have a Blu-ray release whilst i'd love The Light at the Edge of the World to be picked up by Powerhouse.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict

Given how absolutely superb The VVitch was I really couldn't see what Robert Eggers was trying to achieve with The Lighthouse. I expected brilliance but frankly I just gave me a headache. Absolute nonsense. A huge disappointment given Eggers debut and all the potential this had.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Given how absolutely superb The VVitch was I really couldn't see what Robert Eggers was trying to achieve with The Lighthouse. I expected brilliance but frankly I just gave me a headache. Absolute nonsense. A huge disappointment given Eggers debut and all the potential this had.
The Northman wasn't much better. I was really disappointed with that.
will graham likes this.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:49 PM
Cult Master

I really liked the Lighthouse

An angry naked masturbating William Defoe you people are never happy

I won't be picking it up again tho if Arrow are releasing it so I'm hoping it's something else but I doubt it
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Northman wasn't much better. I was really disappointed with that.
The Lighthouse really put me off even trying The Northman.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I adored The Lighthouse. Seeing it in a huge, virtually empty cinema (I suspect they miscalculated Robert Pattinson's appeal) was one of my absolute cinemagoing high points of the last few years.

And The Northman was a pleasant surprise given that I expected it to be a fair bit more creatively compromised given the budget - not as gloriously howling-at-the-moon as The Lighthouse, but closer to that than I'd dared hope.

Like this? Share it using the links below!