Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I think there used to be an attitude that any release was better than nothing at all, and that if the only master available was a badly compromised one then so be it (to be fair, that attitude was by no means restricted to Arrow and several companies still have it), but it's clear from customer reactions that that's no longer sustainable.

Standards at Arrow are vastly higher now than they were three or four years ago - they've hired some really good people (in addition to the deservedly acclaimed James White, encoder extraordinaire David Mackenzie is handling a lot of their discs now), and take things like QC much more seriously. And indeed rejecting substandard masters at an early stage, even if it means scrapping entire releases.

I've QCed the vast majority of their recent releases myself, and have spotted and fixed mistakes that might well have ended up on the final release before - most recently an audio problem with Invasion of the Body Snatchers that did end up on the US BD!
Looking forward to that bodysnatchers release. Glad to hear its looking to be the best. Came real close to picking up the olive release at one point.

Now. Perhaps it's worth badgering them for a NIGHT OF THE DEMONS trilogy on BLU-RAY. Matriarch: mother of the living dead and cthulu mansion on Arrowdrome.
Old 12th October 2013, 05:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Looking forward to that bodysnatchers release. Glad to hear its looking to be the best. Came real close to picking up the olive release at one point.
Olive's release is the 1956 version. Arrow's is 1978.
Old 12th October 2013, 06:16 PM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=Michael Brooke;371535]Olive's release is the 1956 version. Arrow's is 1978.[/QUOTE:

Course it is..
Old 13th October 2013, 03:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I think there used to be an attitude that any release was better than nothing at all, and that if the only master available was a badly compromised one then so be it (to be fair, that attitude was by no means restricted to Arrow and several companies still have it), but it's clear from customer reactions that that's no longer sustainable.

Standards at Arrow are vastly higher now than they were three or four years ago - they've hired some really good people (in addition to the deservedly acclaimed James White, encoder extraordinaire David Mackenzie is handling a lot of their discs now), and take things like QC much more seriously. And indeed rejecting substandard masters at an early stage, even if it means scrapping entire releases.

I've QCed the vast majority of their recent releases myself, and have spotted and fixed mistakes that might well have ended up on the final release before - most recently an audio problem with Invasion of the Body Snatchers that did end up on the US BD!
j

Not sure if you're allowed to tell, but what were some releases which were scrapped entirely due to transfers?

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 13th October 2013, 07:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Obviously not, no. Not least because they're unannounced releases.

Sorry!

(Also, in one case we're trying to persuade the rights holder either to do a new transfer or to grant us access to original 35mm materials, so to say that it would be unwise to slag them off online in a public forum at this delicate stage would be a bit of an understatement!)
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 13th October 2013, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Michael,

Re Big Trouble in Little China, are Arrow using the same master that Fox used on their BD releases in other territories?
Old 13th October 2013, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't know about any Arrow projects other than the ones I'm involved with, I'm afraid - I'm a freelancer, not a salaried employee, and in fact have never so much as set foot in Arrow's offices.

That said, logic and precedent would suggest "yes", although James White often gives off-the-shelf masters an additional going-over. For instance, I know he gave MGM's master of The Long Goodbye some extra cleaning (by which I mean dust, dirt and damage removal, not slathering it with DNR!), so I'm expecting it to be an advance on the French BD, although I haven't seen the Arrow master myself yet.
Old 14th October 2013, 01:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Is Mark of the Devil being released as a dual format or just blu, or is it too early for that info ?
Old 14th October 2013, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is Mark of the Devil being released as a dual format or just blu, or is it too early for that info ?
Sorry, this is all internal Arrow stuff - if they haven't announced it, I'm afraid I don't know either.
Old 14th October 2013, 01:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, this is all internal Arrow stuff - if they haven't announced it, I'm afraid I don't know either.
Thanks for the reply Michael.

I wasn't sure if it had been announced or not, i don't follow this thread too closely.

It was just a general question thrown out as i don't have time to trawl for an answer in my break.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 14th October 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!