Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2012, 10:40 AM
Active Cultist

i'll probably buy most of them, certainly i'll be getting the snowblood steelbook, nukem high and combat shock. i think my hopes were a bit unrealistic but the last word i expected to read was troma
Old 27th April 2012, 10:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Anyone who says 'yes' is obviously the kind of person who would sneak downstairs late on Christmas Eve to open their gifts under the tree

Patience is a virtue!
Lol i always use to sneak down after my mum dad had gone to bed...But it was christmas day by then ....
Old 27th April 2012, 10:41 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My purse will be happy; very happy indeed. I'm not interested in any of the announced titles.

Greetings!
Old 27th April 2012, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well, not being a Troma fan in the least saves me some money. Lady Snowblood is a different matter entirely.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:05 AM
Cultist

Unfortunately it's a no sale from me also,not interested in any of these announcements...thought there may have been at least one sought after release in there,oh well still got the DEMONS & HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY blu's to tide me over...
Old 27th April 2012, 11:06 AM
Cult Rookie

Haven't seen a Troma film in ages. Not really interested in these as films but a compilation of Troma trailers would be good as I remember these as being hilarious (at least in my early twenties, they were!)

Lady Snowblood is very good news. I now have the steelbook pre-ordered.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:14 AM
Cult Master

It's a shame that some of these new releases are only available as a dual DVD/Blu-Ray edition

Not having a Blu-Ray player, it means that I will have to pay over the odds if I wanted to get them
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th April 2012, 11:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Excited about Lady Snowblood, I love Japanese movies and Samurais especially, I've never seen this one but heard so much about it. I'll maybe get Class of Nuke 'em High, but none of the others this time around.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:20 AM
Ex-member

Exclamation

Hello everyone. I had to trawl through this thread, to find the specifics, of what the new releases were actually going to be. Wasn't the easiest (or best) way to make such an announcement, in my view. Could we have a new thread, perhaps, next time, please? Cheers!

Still, I'm surprised at the choices. I am a Troma fan, but like many, I have several of these on US or Region 2 (Import) DVD. Personally, if you do want to get people into Troma, I would have chosen the following three titles instead:

THE TOXIC AVENGER
CITIZEN TOXIE: THE TOXIC AVENGER PART IV
POULTRYGEIST: NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD

I think, they are better Troma films, overall, and are ones that are more likely to appeal to those who haven't experienced Troma in full, uncut versions before, and who need convincing that Troma can make great films. I'm not saying that Arrow's choices are wrong, but they are unusual for sure.

POULTRYGEIST is an absolute hoot, even if you hate Troma. And seeing it in the full, uncut version, with the 2-hour documentary about the making of it, will convince many that Troma can make good films.

With that said, I'm not entirely sure if the three Troma films I've mentioned would pass the BBFC uncut. TOXIC AVENGER includes the rape of a blind girl, and the killing of her guide dog, as well as the shooting of a small boy, and the crushing of another young boy's head, in a darkly funny road accident. CITIZEN TOXIE contains so many uses of the word "retard", that the Daily Mail would have a complete meltdown, as well as many other scenes that are utterly and remorselessly politically incorrect. And POULTRYGEIST is also deeply politically incorrect, with a niqab-wearing Muslim women working in a chicken-nugget-serving fast food establishment. Again, likely to be fairly incendiary in the current climate.

Still, the LADY SNOWBLOOD STEELBOOK will be a must-buy, providing the films are totally uncut, in the correct anamorphic widescreen ratios, and have fully-removeable English subtitles. Some extras would also be nice please, as well as the regular Arrow booklet and poster, if at all possible. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2012, 11:20 AM
Cultist in Training

People shouldn't dismiss Combat Shock as a Troma film. It's not, really. They picked it for distribution but had nothing to do with its making.

It's a fantastic, harrowing and uncompromising film.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!