Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2014, 02:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Given i already own the raro set i may give caliber 9 a miss myself. (Barring arrow going back and improving on the raro release) I think its a little early to write off all their other releases. I have raros nightmare city but a lot of people say it has 'issues' so im looking forward to seeing that one. Remo has piqued my interest as well. Im a fan of the burbs so thats a must buy as well.
I heard that the quality of the Raro discs are going downhill despite the titles being topnotch so for that reason Nightmare City would be a better bet on Arrow.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I heard that the quality of the Raro discs are going downhill despite the titles being topnotch so for that reason Nightmare City would be a better bet on Arrow.
I'd heard that too. I'd also read somewhere that some of the English subs are out of sync and incorrect in as much as they do not reflect what is being said on screen. Hopefully they do a u-turn on this sloppy behaviour for their Perfume of the Lady in Black and Slaughter Hotel releases as they are two I've been really looking forward to.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I got the raro nightmare city off zoverstocks dirt cheap so no loss. Want to at least use it as a basis for comparison against the arrow release. F
Old 18th February 2014, 02:29 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'd heard that too. I'd also read somewhere that some of the English subs are out of sync and incorrect in as much as they do not reflect what is being said on screen. Hopefully they do a u-turn on this sloppy behaviour for their Perfume of the Lady in Black and Slaughter Hotel releases as they are two I've been really looking forward to.
Yes an acquaintence on a different forum has mentioned this practice know as dub-titles, i.e copying the english dub and passing it off as the subtitle. Coupled with expensive import costs, Raro`s unreliable delivery service and you have a gap for Arrow should they want it.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Back on topic these new batches of titles look subpar. Caliber 9 is a great film but there is already a superb Raro bd on the market anyway.
Even if it's already out elsewhere, there is no shame at all in Arrow putting out Milan Caliber 9; if anything, that should hold pride of position. Many modern day crime thrillers pale in comparison, and the more people exposed to it the better. Who knows - better films may be made as a result.

As for sub-par, surely you're going after the January/early Feb releases e.g.

Hellgate, Frogtown and the Brass films. Well, they may not be perfect but they do have their fans, and certainly the late Feb/March releases cannot easily be considered sub-par - de Palma, Siegel, Cammell, Teruo Ishii, etc.

One way of looking at it is that there's something for everyone - Arrow has its fair share of classics as well as guilty pleasures. I wish other labels would be more edgy with their ranges - Criterion usually puts out the critics' darlings with the occasional cash cow thrown in, while MoC's Q2 line up does not even have a foreign language film.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
And apparently the OAR for Rosi's Many Wars Ago is wrong and there's also a problem with Generale della Rovere - I cannot remember, but Robert Harris slaughtered it on another forum.

Last edited by Nemesis; 18th February 2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18th February 2014, 02:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes an acquaintence on a different forum has mentioned this practice know as dub-titles, i.e copying the english dub and passing it off as the subtitle. Coupled with expensive import costs, Raro`s unreliable delivery service and you have a gap for Arrow should they want it.
Quite a lot of anime titles have dubtitles which, as you say, translate the English dub rather than the original language track. I don't know enough Italian to say whether this is the case on Calibre 9 but, if they are dubtitles, Arrow should be able to release it with a new subtitle track and more extra features the on the Raro BD.

As it was screened at the Festival of Fantastic Films, this suggests, with 99.9% certainty, Arrow will release it and hopefully more Fernando Di Leo films in future.
Nemesis and keirarts like this.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The DC of To be twenty might be a bit of a challenge, though.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:50 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
The DC of To be twenty might be a bit of a challenge, though.
Somewhat of a checkered history that title. Dont think the BBFC would like it.
Old 18th February 2014, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I wouldn't call Raro's Milano Calibro 9 a great release. Sure, the it's an upgrade over the DVD but there's a lot to improve and I hope Arrow will do their best. It's a single layered blu-ray, with, if I remember correctly, very low bitrate. I'll take some screenshots and post them here soon.

Last edited by Antropophagus; 18th February 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!