Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Here you go

D&T Mailorder Shop
Doesn't look like a whole lot of extras for four discs...
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:08 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Full specs have been announced for Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection:

I'm moist. I want this!

DVD and BD collection
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Haha! Gross. I picked up a week of extra shifts to get one of these. They look brilliant. I would adore a Jiri Barta or svamkmajer set too.
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I have this one ordered.It'll no doubt be the same as the Optimum print.
****ing thing isn't in widescreen either......

!!!!!

Old 22nd April 2014, 01:24 PM
Cult Master

'The Beast Within' specs:
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM - available uncut in the UK for the first time!
  • Original stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • New audio commentary with director Philippe Mora moderated by author Calum Waddell
  • I Was a Teenage Cicada: The Making of The Beast Within - An in-depth look back at Philippe Mora’s creature feature classic featuring new interviews with writer Tom Holland, actors Paul Clemens, John Dennis Johnston, Katherine Moffat and effects wizard Garry Elmendorf
  • Storyboarding The Beast – An all-new animated featurette in which Philippe Mora discusses the film’s journey from storyboard to screen
  • Image Gallery – Including rare production stills from the private collection of star Paul Clemens plus new photographs of various special effects props
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach
  • Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Lee Gambin, author of Massacred by Mother Nature: Exploring the Natural Horror Film plus a contemporary article on the film’s production, all illustrated with original stills and artwork.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd April 2014, 06:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Just to answer a question a few posts back, restorations are NOT in the public domain: for copyright purposes they count as new works.

None of which will prevent chancers claiming otherwise, of course - when I was at the BFI we caught someone who'd blatantly nicked the 1903 Alice in Wonderland restoration and pulled the "public domain" excuse, even though the BFI owned what is believed to be the only surviving copy even before they restored it - so the only way he could have got hold of it would be from ripping it from a BFI DVD, which is illegal in itself.

On the other hand, if you stumble upon an original 1903 print yourself, there's nothing to stop you releasing it.
Nosferatu@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:47 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Just to answer a question a few posts back, restorations are NOT in the public domain: for copyright purposes they count as new works.

None of which will prevent chancers claiming otherwise, of course - when I was at the BFI we caught someone who'd blatantly nicked the 1903 Alice in Wonderland restoration and pulled the "public domain" excuse, even though the BFI owned what is believed to be the only surviving copy even before they restored it - so the only way he could have got hold of it would be from ripping it from a BFI DVD, which is illegal in itself.

On the other hand, if you stumble upon an original 1903 print yourself, there's nothing to stop you releasing it.

Yeah, I had a feeling, from posts online, that the restored Nosferatu was copyrighted. Thanks for clearing that up for us Michael.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist

But of course the "public domain" issue is a major headache in itself, because there's tons of competition!

And although Withnail & I obviously isn't public domain, Arrow is being faced with a similar problem here, as it's already had two Blu-ray releases in the UK, at least one of which is regularly on sale for around £3 (which is what I paid for my copy).

Obviously, Arrow's new restoration will be way ahead of those (in fact, it's arguably the first really decent video transfer that this notoriously problematic title has ever had), but the disc's producer is well aware that it'll need something really special to persuade people either to double (or triple) dip or to pay what will inevitably be a fair bit more for the same film, so is going all out to develop substantial original extras.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:29 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's Withnail & I and Arrow, that's all I need to know to buy it again
keirarts, Hawkmonger and Vipp like this.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It's Withnail & I and Arrow, that's all I need to know to buy it again
i wanted this film on Bly but never liked the look of the cheap copy - im glad it's Arrow putting the special edition out.

Like this? Share it using the links below!