Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 8th April 2020 01:22 PM

Easter sale

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/arrow-vi...ter-sale/?pi=1

Nordicdusk 8th April 2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 624455)

Cheers i picked up a couple of bits there :clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th April 2020 08:33 PM

PHANTASM SET WITH SEPERATE AMARAYS! GIMME!:clap:

Graveyard 8th April 2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 624490)

I saw that, just thinking this people trying to sell the old set for £100 on ebay. :whip:

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2020 03:36 AM

Quote:

Pity they couldn't get the unrated Phantasm 2 that was in the re-release of the American set.

Susan Foreman 9th April 2020 04:38 PM

"***UPCOMING RELEASE DATE UPDATES***

Sadly due to ongoing and ever changing manufacturing and shipping restrictions we are having to revise the release dates for a few upcoming titles. The new dates are as follows:

HAGAZUSSA - moving to May 11
WHITE FIRE- moving to May 25
BLOOD TIDE - moving to May 25
THE WOMAN - moving to May 25
SOLID METAL NIGHTMARES: THE FILMS OF SHINYA TSUKAMOTO - moving to May 26
DREAM DEMON - moving to June, exact date TBC.

We can only apologise for the disappointment this may cause and want to extend a huge thanks for all your ongoing support and kind words during this time, thanks for sticking by us!"

SymbioticFunction 10th April 2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Not actually sure if true but I've read someone saying that the new amaray set drops the sixth bonus features disc. Might be worth further investigating that before immediately picking up (those extras were very good). btw I just put the original set into two 3 disc amarays with printed off the internet Phantasm collection covers and I was content with that.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th April 2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 624665)
Not actually sure if true but I've read someone saying that the new amaray set drops the sixth bonus features disc. Might be worth further investigating that before immediately picking up (those extras were very good). btw I just put the original set into two 3 disc amarays with printed off the internet Phantasm collection covers and I was content with that.

Definitely drops the 6th disc, the Arrow site says 5 discs. Guess i'll just stick with my original US set.

SymbioticFunction 10th April 2020 02:08 PM

In case someone has already ordered the Arrow Phantasm blu-ray amaray set and feels rather dispirited, I'll just point out that there are also extras on the five film discs. There is quite a generous amount for the first two films in particular.

Rob4 10th April 2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

What's the artwork on the Amaray cases? I'm tempted to cash in on the silver ball set for this one as I'm doubtful about how likely I would be to watch the extras disc again...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2020 10:32 AM

It'll be the original poster art Rob.

Don't know if the 6th disc extras have been split across the 5?

Can't tell you as I sold my last sphere abombination eons ago...

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) of all five Phantasm movies

• Original Mono, Stereo and 5.1 Surround Audio options

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films

• Special Edition Packaging with reversable sleeves featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

PHANTASM (1979 - 2016 REMASTER)

• The Los Angeles Premiere Experience – join the audience of die-hard phans as they experience the restored classic for the first time! Watch the entire feature with a 5.1 Surround audience track recorded at the 2016 Los Angeles premiere followed by the full Phantasm Q&A panel

• Audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors A. Michael Baldwin, Bill Thornbury and Angus Scrimm

• Archive Introduction by “Tall Man” Angus Scrimm

• Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm – In this brand new pheaturette, experience new stories about the people and personal inspiration behind Phantasm, and learn how the film's success has impacted on the actors and filmmakers’ lives. Features interviews with Don Coscarelli, actors A. Michael Baldwin, Reggie Bannister, Kathy Lester and Ravager director David Hartman

• Q&A panel from the 2016 Austin Premiere of Phantasm: Remastered

• 1979 TV interview with Don Coscarelli and Angus Scrimm

• Behind-the-Scenes with optional audio commentary by Don Coscarelli and Reggie Bannister

• Phantasm: Actors Having a Ball – Phantasm cast and crew offer up various recollections from the making of the film

• Deleted Scenes

• Original Trailer, TV and Radio Spots

PHANTASM II (1988)

• Audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister

• Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm II – In this brand new pheaturette, learn from the cast and crew how and why a Phantasm sequel happened, the evolution of the story, and the introduction of the most iconic props in the series. Features interviews with Don Coscarelli, Reggie Bannister, A. Michael Baldwin, special make-up artists Mark Shostrom and Dean Gates and Ravager director David Hartman

• The Ball is Back – archive making-of documentary featuring interviews with Don Coscarelli, Angus Scrimm, Reggie Bannister and others

• The Gory Days – FX artist Greg Nicotero looks back at his work on Phantasm II

• Deleted and Workprint Scenes

• Behind-the-Scenes Footage

• Angus Scrimm Fangoria Convention Appearance • Angus Scrimm Fangoria TV Spot

• Original Trailer and TV Spots

• Still Gallery

PHANTASM III: LORD OF THE DEAD (1994)

• Audio commentary with actors A. Michael Baldwin and Angus Scrimm

• Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm III – In this brand new pheaturette, the cast and crew reflect on the third chapter in the Phantasm series and the vast amount of make-up work on the film. Features interviews actor A. Michael Baldwin, Ravager director David Hartman and make-up artists Mark Shostrom and Dean Gates

• Behind-the-Scenes Footage with optional audio commentary by Mark Shostrom and Dean Gates

• Deleted Scene

• Original Trailer

• Still Gallery

PHANTASM IV: OBLIVION (1998)

• Audio commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister

• Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm IV – In this brand new pheaturette, the cast and crew reflect on how the fourth Phantasm film evolved and reflect on their personal relationship with The Tall Man, Angus Scrim. Features interviews with director Don Coscarelli, actor A. Michael Baldwin, special make-up artists Mark Shostrom and Dean Gates and Ravager director David Hartman

• Behind-the-Scenes

• Original Trailer

• Promo

• Still Gallery

PHANTASM: RAVAGER (2016)

• Exclusive Introduction(s!) by director David Hartman

• The Los Angeles Premiere Experience – join the audience of die-hard phans as they experience Phantasm: Ravager for the first time! Watch the entire feature with a 5.1 Surround audience track recorded at the 2016 Los Angeles premiere

• Audio commentary with director David Hartman and writer/producer Don Coscarelli

• Reflections of Fear: Realising Phantasm: Ravager – Brand new pheaturette looking at the final chapter in the Phantasm series, featuring interviews with actors A. Michael Baldwin, Reggie Bannister, Kathy Lester, Daniel Schweiger and director David Hartman

• Q&A panel from the 2016 Austin Premiere

• Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

• Deleted scenes with optional audio commentary

• Bloopers and Outtakes

• Original Trailer

• Phantasm and You – a light-hearted recap of the Phantasm franchise by David Hartman

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2020 10:33 AM

Anyway.**** the extras.
It's all about the artwork!:tongue1:

Nostalgic 11th April 2020 10:54 AM

I quite like my original arrow phantasm set....:behindsofa:

It certainly made me appreciate the first one a lot more seeing it so clearly & with good sound. A set of truly original American horror movies.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th April 2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 624742)
Anyway.**** the extras.

It's all about the artwork!:tongue1:

True!

I already have the American set with the OG, so no point me trading it in for this new one and losing over 3hrs of extras.

Justin101 11th April 2020 12:21 PM

The 6th disc is largely made up of a 90 min doc which was in the anchor bay DVD box set, the best extras are on the individual film discs I think, although I did watch every single bit of supplemental footage on all 6 discs, I was quite against buying the old box set and the silly plastic ball but I'm really glad that I bought it in the end.

Rob4 11th April 2020 02:17 PM

Never been a fan of novelty packaging and 'toys'. Anyone know if the standard release box is the usual sturdy box Arrow uses for its LE's?

Nordicdusk 11th April 2020 06:43 PM

Has anyone else had freezes in their Beyond The Door disc.

MrBarlow 11th April 2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 624786)
Has anyone else had freezes in their Beyond The Door disc.

Yeah I have, I put down to the extra/deleted scenes not been added in greatly

Nordicdusk 11th April 2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 624787)
Yeah I have, I put down to the extra/deleted scenes not been added in greatly

Good to know its not just me but it always seems to freeze on the annoying kids faces :lol:

MrBarlow 11th April 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 624788)
Good to know its not just me but it always seems to freeze on the annoying kids faces :lol:

Always seems to be their faces or the wife's face when possessed:lol:

Susan Foreman 12th April 2020 07:11 PM

"***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***
According to a statement by Nico Mastorakis on the recent Arrow Video Blu-ray of “The Wind”, Arrow will be releasing Dwight H. Little’s “Bloodstone” (1988) on Blu-ray in the near future! Mastorakis was a producer on Bloodstone."

Justin101 15th April 2020 12:11 PM

Does Arrow ship with Hermes these days?
I've had an email off Hermes saying they've had a shipping label prepared and I can't think what it's for :lol: Got an Arrow sale order waiting for dispatch and a Halland & Barrett order, hoping it's the former :D

Susan Foreman 15th April 2020 03:00 PM

ARROW ACADEMY

"***NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING!***

Join us this Friday (April 17th) at 3.00pm BST / 7.00am PT / 10.00am ET for our July title reveals!"

Probably not 'Cannibal Holocaust'!

Susan Foreman 17th April 2020 02:08 PM

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Hiroshima (Blu-ray)

Release date: July 13th

Effectively out of circulation in Japan and the rest of the world since its original release in 1953, Hiroshima combines harrowing documentary realism with moving human drama.

"Hiroshima (1953) is a powerful evocation of the devastation wrought by the world’s first deployment of the atomic bomb and its aftermath, based on the written eye-witness accounts of its child survivors compiled by Dr. Arata Osada for the 1951 book Children Of The A Bomb: Testament Of The Boys And Girls Of Hiroshima.

Adapted for the screen by independent director Hideo Sekigawa (Listen to the Voices of the Sea, Tokyo Untouchable) and screenwriter Yasutaro Yagi (Theatre of Life, Rice), Hiroshima combines a harrowing documentary realism with moving human drama, in a tale of the suffering, endurance and survival of a group of teachers, their students and their families. It boasts a rousing score composed by Akira Ifukube (Godzilla) and an all-star cast including Yumeji Tsukioka (Late Spring, The Eternal Breasts), Isuzu Yamada (Throne of Blood, Yojimbo) and Eiji Okada (Hiroshima Mon Amour, Woman in the Dunes), appearing alongside an estimated 90,000 residents from the city as extras, including many survivors from that fateful day on 6th August 1945.

Hiroshima was produced and distributed outside of the studio system by the Japan Teachers’ Union following the mixed critical reception to Children of Hiroshima (1952), directed by Kaneto Shindo the previous year, the first dramatic feature to deal directly with the atomic bombing. Although sequences from the film were used in Alain Resnais’ classic of French New Wave cinema, Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959), it has been effectively out of circulation in Japan and the rest of the world since its original release in 1953 due to the force and political sensitivity of its message. This new High Definition presentation is the complete version, restoring the footage from the international edit that was released in the United States in 1955."

Extra features:
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed audio
  • Archive interview with actress Yumeji Tsukioka
  • Hiroshima Nagasaki Download (2011), 73-minute documentary featuring interviews with survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings now residing in the United States, with an introduction by the director Shinpei Takeda
  • New video essay by Jasper Sharp
  • Newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mick Broderick

Susan Foreman 17th April 2020 02:13 PM

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Life is a Long Quiet River (Blu-ray)

Release date: July 20th

An outrageously wicked comedy from award winning debut filmmaker Étienne Chatiliez.

"An outrageously wicked comedy about two families from award winning debut filmmaker Étienne Chatiliez, this fast-paced satire became the most popular French comedy of the decade.

The radiantly bourgeois Le Quesnoys with their immaculate children and perfect manners and the grubby, disreputable Groseilles are thrown together in absurd chaos by an act of revenge as they discover that twelve years prior their babies were switched at birth.

A witty send up of class relations and family ties, Life Is a Long Quiet River was celebrated with a host of trophies at France’s César Awards ceremony winning for best screenplay, best debut work and acting prizes for Héléne Vincent and Catherine Jacob."

Extra features:
  • High Definition digital transfer
  • Original Mono audio
  • Newly translated optional English subtitles
  • Archival interviews with director Étienne Chatiliez, actor André Wilms, co-writer/co-producer Florence Quentin and producer Charles Gassot
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Romney

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th April 2020 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like they've ditched the crappy reverse art for the US release of Sixteen Candles.

Attachment 223831

Nostalgic 18th April 2020 08:51 PM

The "introduction" to beyond the door (from the code red release), is hilarious!!! Juliet Mills compares it to The Omen....

Anyhoo, settling down to watch this for the first time, having only ever seen the trailer on a trailer compilation back in the day.

Susan Foreman 22nd April 2020 11:37 AM

"***DREAM DEMON RELEASE DATE UPDATE***

Due to some ongoing production delays we are having to move the release date of this title back to June 22 in the UK and June 23 in the US and Canada. We can only apologise for the additional delays on this release and very much hope you enjoy the set once it arrives!"

Susan Foreman 22nd April 2020 06:47 PM

"***NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING!***

Join us this Friday (April 24th) at 3.00pm BST / 7.00am PT / 10.00am ET for our July title reveals!"

My first thought was the school massacre film from Gus Van Sant

Mind you...people ride on elephants don't they, and presumably you have to stick out your thumb to catch one, so it must be 'The Hitcher'

bleakshaun 22nd April 2020 07:01 PM

Roar?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd April 2020 07:27 PM

Mind you...people ride on elephants don't they, and presumably you have to stick out your thumb to catch one, so it must be 'The Hitcher'[/QUOTE]

IT IS THE HITCHER!

Rik 22nd April 2020 08:13 PM

Definitely the Hitcher!

That’s a photo of an elephant, during the 2nd Punic War, Hannibal rode elephants.
Another famous Hannibal is John ‘Hannibal’ Smith from the A Team, played by George Peppard, who in 1980 starred in a film called Battle Beyond the Stars with John Saxon.
John Saxon was in a film called Tenebrae in 1982, directed by Dario Argento.
Dario Argento directed a film called Dracula 3D in 2012, which starred Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing.
In 1986 Rutger Hauer player John Ryder in, you’ve guessed it, The Hitcher!

:)

Graveyard 22nd April 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 625596)
Definitely the Hitcher!

That’s a photo of an elephant, during the 2nd Punic War, Hannibal rode elephants.
Another famous Hannibal is John ‘Hannibal’ Smith from the A Team, played by George Peppard, who in 1980 starred in a film called Battle Beyond the Stars with John Saxon.
Dario Argento directed a film called Dracula 3D in 2012, which starred Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing.

:pound::pound:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd April 2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 625596)
Definitely the Hitcher!

:clap::clap::clap:

Susan Foreman 24th April 2020 02:08 PM

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Black Rainbow (Blu-ray)

Release date: July 6th

Sent direct-to-video on initial release, Black Rainbow unfairly never got the exposure it deserved, newly restored from the original negative audiences can now discover the darkness at the end of the rainbow.

"Mike Hodges (Flash Gordon, Get Carter) wrote and directed this supernatural chiller as a meditation on the human race’s ability to destroy the world, a gothic tale of suspense and the occult, guaranteed to send shivers down your spine.

Martha Travis (Rosanna Arquette, Pulp Fiction, Crash) is a travelling clairvoyant on the road with her sceptic father (Jason Robards, Once Upon a Time in the West, Magnolia). During a séance Martha communicates a message from a dead man to his wife in the audience. Shocked the wife insists her husband is still alive. Later that evening the husband is killed by a ruthless assassin. As Martha foresees more and more tragic events journalist Gary Wallace (Tom Hulce, Amadeus, Animal House) follows the pair in pursuit of a hot story… with catastrophically eerie results.

Sent direct-to-video by its struggling distributor on initial release, Black Rainbow unfairly never got the exposure it deserved, newly restored from the original negative audiences can now discover the darkness at the end of the rainbow, as never before"

Extra features:
  • Brand new restoration from the original negative approved by writer-director Mike Hodges
  • Original stereo 2.0 PCM uncompressed audio and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround Sound options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • New audio commentary by film historians Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan
  • Archival audio commentary by Mike Hodges
  • Message in a Bottle: Archival ‘Making of’ documentary
  • Archival interviews with Jason Robards, Tom Hulce, Rosanna Arquette
  • Archival featurettes ‘8 Minutes’; ‘Disasters’; ‘Seeing the Future’; ‘Behind the Rainbow’ featuring interviews with Hodges, Arquette, Robards, producer John Quested including behind-the-scenes imagery
  • Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh

Susan Foreman 24th April 2020 02:11 PM

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Bloodstone (Blu-ray)

Release date: July 20th

Featuring a stellar performance by legendary Tamil megastar Rajinikanth in his first English-language role, Bloodstone is an action-packed romp full of thrills, kick-ass one liners and venomous cobras!

"A man of action who can fight with the best of them and a cab driver who would give the Transporter a run for his money, pair up to save a young girl from the clutches of an evil criminal magnate in the exciting adventure thrill-ride Bloodstone!

The Bloodstone, a priceless stolen ruby, accidentally ends up in the possession of American newlyweds Sandy (Brett Stimely, Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death) and Stephanie (Anna Nicholas, Remington Steele). Now, their honeymoon in India is interrupted as they become the target of international fence Van Hoeven (Christopher Neame, The Prestige) and his evil henchmen. When Van Hoeven kidnaps Stephanie and ransoms her for the jewel, Sandy joins forces with cabby and dormant stunt-driver Shyam Sabu (Rajinikanth, 2.0) to rescue his young bride.

Co-written and produced by genre film luminary Nico Mastorakis (Island of Death, The Wind) and featuring a stellar performance by legendary Tamil megastar Rajinikanth in his first English-language role, Bloodstone is an action-packed romp full of thrills, kick-ass one liners and venomous cobras!"

Extra features:
  • Original 2.0 Stereo PCM Uncompressed audio and 5.1 Surround audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Optional Greek subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Bryan Reesman
  • Keeping it to Myself – brand new interview with producer and co-writer Nico Mastorakis
  • Brand new video essay on Bloodstone’s star Rajinikanth by Indian cinema expert Josh Hurtado
  • Trailers
  • Image gallery
  • Original screenplay [BD-ROM content]
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mark Cunliffe

Susan Foreman 24th April 2020 02:15 PM

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Inferno of Torture (Blu-ray)

Release date: 6th July

Exploitation legend Teruo Ishii one of his most extreme visions of violent eroticism in this, the sixth in his abnormal love series.

"Exploitation legend Teruo Ishii (Horrors of Malformed Men, Orgies of Edo) delivers one of his most extreme visions of violent eroticism in this, the sixth in his abnormal love series. Tattoos and torture await women forced into servitude in Ishii's Inferno of Torture.

Unable to repay a local lender, Yumi (Yumika Katayama) takes up an offer to serve as a geisha for two years with a promise of freedom once her debt is repaid. She quickly realises that this is less a house of geishas than an extremely cruel brothel specialising in supplying western visitors with tattooed playthings. Taken under the wing of one of the leading tattoo artists vying for a coveted spot in the Shogun's good graces through his work, Yumi's body becomes a battleground as a rival artist becomes determined not to lose his spot at the top. When the madam, Otatsu (Mieko Fujimoto) trains her eye on the blossoming relationship between the benevolent artist Horihide (Teruo Yoshida) and his model, she makes sure than her stay is less than hospitable, inspiring the torturous inferno of the title.

Following Ishii's legendary Shogun's Joy of Torture and Orgies of Edo, the prolific filmmaker still manages to turn up the heat in this incredibly violent and salacious entry in a filmography unlike any other. From the film's opening scene depicting some of the most perverse violence ever captured on screen, through to the shock ending that will leave the audience's mouths agape, there's nothing quite like Inferno of Torture. Tender romance clashes with vile sadism as a sea of tattooed female flesh floods nearly every frame of this film depicting Japan's Edo period as only Ishii could."

Extra features:
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio Commentary by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes
  • Erotic Grotesque Nonsense & the Foundations of Japan’s Cult Counterculture - a condensed version of Jasper Sharp's Miskatonic Institute lecture
  • Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris D.

Susan Foreman 24th April 2020 02:18 PM

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Zombie for Sale (Blu-ray)

Release date: July 6th

Will warm the deadest of hearts and breathe some new life into the zombie genre.

"An infectiously funny slice of modern Korean cinema where Train to Busan, The Quiet Family and Warm Bodies collide to create a memorable rom-zom-com from first time director Lee Min-jae.

When the illegal human experiments of Korea’s biggest Pharmaceutical company go wrong, one of their “undead” test subjects escapes and ends up in a shabby gas station owned by the Park family – a band of misfits spanning three generations who hustle passers-by to make ends meet. When the Park family uncover their undead visitor, he bites the head of their household, who instead of transforming into an undead ghoul becomes revitalised and full of life! The family then hatch a plan to exploit this unexpected fountain of youth, allowing locals to pay to be bitten too, until things go wrong…

With a cabbage-munching zombie who prefers ketchup over blood, and a dysfunctional family that gives the Kim family of Parasite a run for their money, Zombie for Sale will warm the deadest of hearts and breathe some new life into the zombie genre."

Extra features:
  • High-Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA options
  • Newly-translated English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary with filmmakers and critics Sam Ashurst and Dan Martin
  • Q&A with director Lee Min-jae from a 2019 screening at Asian Pop-Up Cinema in Chicago, moderated by film critic and author Darcy Paquet
  • Eat Together, Kill Together: The Family-in-Peril Comedy - brand new video essay by critic and producer Pierce Conran exploring Korea's unique social satires
  • Making-Of Featurette
  • Behind-the-Scenes footage
  • Original Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Mike Lee-Graham
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Josh Hurtado

Rik 24th April 2020 02:27 PM

Haven’t heard of any of them

g053584398 24th April 2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 625663)
NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Inferno of Torture (Blu-ray)

Release date: 6th July

Exploitation legend Teruo Ishii one of his most extreme visions of violent eroticism in this, the sixth in his abnormal love series.

"Exploitation legend Teruo Ishii (Horrors of Malformed Men, Orgies of Edo) delivers one of his most extreme visions of violent eroticism in this, the sixth in his abnormal love series. Tattoos and torture await women forced into servitude in Ishii's Inferno of Torture.

Unable to repay a local lender, Yumi (Yumika Katayama) takes up an offer to serve as a geisha for two years with a promise of freedom once her debt is repaid. She quickly realises that this is less a house of geishas than an extremely cruel brothel specialising in supplying western visitors with tattooed playthings. Taken under the wing of one of the leading tattoo artists vying for a coveted spot in the Shogun's good graces through his work, Yumi's body becomes a battleground as a rival artist becomes determined not to lose his spot at the top. When the madam, Otatsu (Mieko Fujimoto) trains her eye on the blossoming relationship between the benevolent artist Horihide (Teruo Yoshida) and his model, she makes sure than her stay is less than hospitable, inspiring the torturous inferno of the title.

Following Ishii's legendary Shogun's Joy of Torture and Orgies of Edo, the prolific filmmaker still manages to turn up the heat in this incredibly violent and salacious entry in a filmography unlike any other. From the film's opening scene depicting some of the most perverse violence ever captured on screen, through to the shock ending that will leave the audience's mouths agape, there's nothing quite like Inferno of Torture. Tender romance clashes with vile sadism as a sea of tattooed female flesh floods nearly every frame of this film depicting Japan's Edo period as only Ishii could."

Extra features:
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio Commentary by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes
  • Erotic Grotesque Nonsense & the Foundations of Japan’s Cult Counterculture - a condensed version of Jasper Sharp's Miskatonic Institute lecture
  • Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris D.

Sign me up for that one! I really hope that Arrow will release more Teruo Ishii titles including Shogun's Joy of Torture and Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight as well.