Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2014, 02:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The thing is Arrow have used a remastered and director approved transfer, so the chain of this issue goes back a long way. Yes Arrow should have checked the runtime etc against another edition but the major fault isn't with Arrow. TIFF and Cronenberg have signed off the transfer, did neither party notice something was missing, did none of the TIFF team notice bits were missing, was the HD restoration done on an already damaged or edited print, has a different print always been used for UK editions that contain a few extra seconds here and there?
Old 16th October 2014, 04:35 PM
Cultist

Personally if I were a label and I was given a director approved print I wouldn't do much checking in detail at all. You know being director approved! I can't blame Arrow at all.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 16th October 2014, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
Personally if I were a label and I was given a director approved print I wouldn't do much checking in detail at all. You know being director approved! I can't blame Arrow at all.
I agree with you all the way.

When the product was developed by David Cronenberg himself i'm not surprised they just ran with it.
Old 16th October 2014, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
The thing is Arrow have used a remastered and director approved transfer, so the chain of this issue goes back a long way. Yes Arrow should have checked the runtime etc against another edition but the major fault isn't with Arrow. TIFF and Cronenberg have signed off the transfer, did neither party notice something was missing, did none of the TIFF team notice bits were missing, was the HD restoration done on an already damaged or edited print, has a different print always been used for UK editions that contain a few extra seconds here and there?
In this Video Cronenberg says he hsn't watched the entire restored print. He also says he wouldn't change anything. I highly doubt Cronenberg would cut that much stuff from Shivers. That's nonsense.

Cronenberg intros SHIVERS at TIFF 2013 on Vimeo
Old 16th October 2014, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
In this Video Cronenberg says he hsn't watched the entire restored print. He also says he wouldn't change anything. I highly doubt Cronenberg would cut that much stuff from Shivers. That's nonsense.

Cronenberg intros SHIVERS at TIFF 2013 on Vimeo
Maybe he didn't but what if this print is the only one with decent enough elements to work with and if this turns out to be the director approved edition then that's it really.
Old 16th October 2014, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Maybe he didn't but what if this print is the only one with decent enough elements to work with and if this turns out to be the director approved edition then that's it really.
Again I insist Cronenber wouldn't aprove all those cuts. Somehow all those cuts are gore/violence scenes. Do you suggest that only those gore scenes have been damaged and become not usable. I don't believe it. It's just an edited version of the movie that got an HD transfer. But again that's only IMHO. Now something different, I've bought it frm Zavvi paying £12.25. If I offered them say £10 I don't think they'll sell it to me. Now why should I accept something that's missing 18 seconds of gore/violence and it's a horror movie, not comedy, gore is essential, isn't it? Anyway I believe Arrow will sort things out
tele1962 likes this.
Old 16th October 2014, 06:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

No not at all, but maybe only the edited version is the only usable hd print they have. But lets see what Lionsgate/Arrow come back with on this one.
Old 16th October 2014, 06:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Again I insist Cronenber wouldn't aprove all those cuts. Somehow all those cuts are gore/violence scenes. Do you suggest that only those gore scenes have been damaged and become not usable. I don't believe it. It's just an edited version of the movie that got an HD transfer. But again that's only IMHO. Now something different, I've bought it frm Zavvi paying £12.25. If I offered them say £10 I don't think they'll sell it to me. Now why should I accept something that's missing 18 seconds of gore/violence and it's a horror movie, not comedy, gore is essential, isn't it? Anyway I believe Arrow will sort things out
I think that's all pretty accurate except for your last sentence
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th October 2014, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm very dissapointed with all this. In general, I couldn't really care less about 'gore', but watching something you know is incomplete is unacceptable.
The main cut is the biggest problem, the one with the parasites, it really changes the tone of the scene.
I'd be really suprised if Cronenberg knew about this, he's been pretty strong about censorship.
Old 16th October 2014, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rabid Dogs has arrived! No idea what the 'surprise' is meant to be at the back of the booklet though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!