Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2014, 03:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Poe

I am probably the only one to be annoyed that the other Corman Poes are not getting the steel book treatment. The Vincent Price steelbooks previously released were objects of beauty
J Harker likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
I am probably the only one to be annoyed that the other Corman Poes are not getting the steel book treatment. The Vincent Price steelbooks previously released were objects of beauty
No i agree. I like and want the boxset but if i don't manage to get it in time then I'd like to be able to complete the collection.of steelbooks.
plasterface likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 04:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
I'd like them all in steelbooks – I have the two already released – but, as that isn't going to happen, I'm probably just going to buy the box set. Using a discount I have, it comes to just under £60 at Amazon, which is good, particularly if I sell the standard releases of Pit and the Pendulum and Fall of the House of Usher, which I also own.
plasterface and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 7th November 2014, 05:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Surely consumers get cheesed off when they pay full RRP for a title from Arrow direct only to find the price slashed in a "special sale" (the argument would be why couldn't we have the special price in the first place? especially from Arrow themselves) as Arrow will still make a profit on a 'sale price' disc and the move to the U.S. market will mean much more fierce competition, maybe a move to a "pile em high and sell em cheap" philosophy may be in order, while I really like Withnail & I, my feature heavy ABUK BD at £3 new from HMV will not be displaced on the shelf any time soon, tho the Corman/Poe set would be more tempting at £40-50 or such I must admit(but not as others have said if I already forked out for 2 steelbooks)
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 06:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I may well be one on my own here, but personally i don't really care about the extras and booklets.

Yes, they are nice definitely, but it's the film itself for me and that's all that matters. I would be more than happy to pay less for discs that consist of just the film.

Just my own opinion. I'm not suggesting this is the right or wrong way to go in the future.
Although the quality of the presentation of the film itself is the main thing for me too, I really enjoy the extras and booklets - they're an integral part of collecting these movies for me. I don't buy every Arrow release ( or any other label for that matter ) but I'm perfectly happy with the price for Arrow's product, considering the time and effort ( and content! ) put into them.

I don't go for too many boxsets, but I have ordered the Vincent Price set, as I think it looks amazing.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 06:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default poe

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
No i agree. I like and want the boxset but if i don't manage to get it in time then I'd like to be able to complete the collection.of steelbooks.
Many of you will gasp in shock and scream heretic but I think I'll stick to my old mgm dvds, never been arsed about blu ray quality picture, I only purchase blu titles when they have a wealth of extras I cant do without or a cool steelbook.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th November 2014, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Michael, do you have any info on the Shivers problem? A lot of time has passed since the news it was cut.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
Michael, do you have any info on the Shivers problem? A lot of time has passed since the news it was cut.
I believe they said they had three different parties to follow up with, TIFF, Lionsgate, and Cronenberg himself, so this will most likely take awhile.

However from what has been worked out, due to the cuts matching the US R Rated cut, the print used originally carrying the American title, and the US R Rating card at the end, it would seem the R Rated cut was used for the restoration by TIFF. In a sense it would mean it technically isn't cut, but an alternate cut, with less material than the intended cut.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 7th November 2014, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

My opinion, for what its worth. In regards to pricing. I'm stacking the price of Arrows new Blu-rays and their availability against releases like TT stuff $29.95 a title before shipping, and code red (good luck getting them anywhere else aside from a scalper at top prices) where I got lucky and paid around £20 for one blu-ray including postage off diabolik. I also factor in the fact that sales for most titles are pretty much a fraction of what they might have been due to the fact most non collectors seem to stream these days. Honestly I don't consider the Arrow stuff that expensive at all.
The only one that made my eye water was the customised withnail set, but i'm happy with the release and as a fan of the film i'm glad to have it personalised. Frankly i'm damn lucky to have a job as there was no way I could have afforded everything. So I think its good that those not interested in fancy packaging get a budget release down the line to own the film, just as synapse have done with the demons films.
antmumford, mr 420 and platostotal like this.
Old 8th November 2014, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I believe they said they had three different parties to follow up with, TIFF, Lionsgate, and Cronenberg himself, so this will most likely take awhile.

However from what has been worked out, due to the cuts matching the US R Rated cut, the print used originally carrying the American title, and the US R Rating card at the end, it would seem the R Rated cut was used for the restoration by TIFF. In a sense it would mean it technically isn't cut, but an alternate cut, with less material than the intended cut.
I figured that out but I'd like to hear what Arrow will be doing with this situation. I certainly won't be keeping this R-Rated disc.

Like this? Share it using the links below!