Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2014, 08:23 AM
Cult Addict

I would like to know if arrow are still making a profit on their sales or do they sell stuff at a loss.
Old 8th November 2014, 08:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I personally have no issue with limited editions at all. But with regards to the Six Gothic Tales box set, I do agree with some of the points put forward. I'm genuinely perplexed if the previous releases were a 'surprising success' why they couldn't continue with the same format for the other four titles. In general I'm not a Steelbook fan, but the Price Steelbooks from Arrow were gorgeous. I think they pissed off a lot of people with no legitimate cause, if the previous releases were such a success.

I notice several people across various forums now holding off on particular releases (Bava, Sturges) for future box set releases. With regards to a potential Sturges set, Arrow claimed it would be dependent on sales of Sullivan's Travels, which I can't imagine will be fantastic if people are waiting for a box set. It's a cycle where I can't see the fans nor Arrow benefitting, and the way Arrow went about the Six Gothic Tales box set only fuels this mentality, as far as I'm concerned.

On an unrelated note, I got a joyous e-mail from Amazon this morning saying my Stray Cat Rock set was undeliverable, and asking me to re-order at a higher price. Fantastic. Between Arrow not bothering to ship my Rabid Dogs release until after it was released, despite pre-ordering over a year in advance, and Amazon failing to get me something limited, it feels like the world is conspiring to stop me bothering with Arrow. Which isn't likely to happen.
Old 9th November 2014, 06:55 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropophagus View Post
I figured that out but I'd like to hear what Arrow will be doing with this situation. I certainly won't be keeping this R-Rated disc.
Whilst I object to cut films generally, both the r rated cuts of Videodrome and Shivers do not particularly hurt the films. I know that if I was going to choose between watching the Shivers steelbook I own or the metrodome dvd I would watch the blu ray every time. I have seen the uncut versions of Shivers and Videodrome hundreds of times. Cuts hurt a Romero film like Dawn of the Dead far more as the gore moment to an end in itself whereas Cronenberg is demonstrating a concept within the story.
Old 10th November 2014, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Girl Who Knew Too Much has arrived I'll be giving it a quick spin later.
Old 10th November 2014, 06:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
The Girl Who Knew Too Much has arrived I'll be giving it a quick spin later.
Make sure she doesn't get dizzy
Old 10th November 2014, 06:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Picked up the two Phibes films today.
Glad I got shot of the boxset.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:58 AM
Cult Master

Withnail & I | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Film 10
Video 10
Audio 10
Extras 9

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th November 2014, 10:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

So The Girl Who Knew Too Much, the Kino release isn't out until January so Arrow are a bit ahead of the curve. The good news is that Evil Eye looks very, very good. Girl looks, despite James White been involved lived in at best. It's not terrible but the print has certainly seen better days, I'll hopefully get chance to watch it through after Freak Show tonight.
Old 12th November 2014, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I believe they said they had three different parties to follow up with, TIFF, Lionsgate, and Cronenberg himself, so this will most likely take awhile.
That's exactly the situation. Believe me, Arrow is as keen as anyone to be in a position to post a useful update, but the ball's been out of their court for some time now and I imagine is being robustly batted between the three different parties on the other side of the Atlantic. All I can confirm is that they're all fully aware of the issue.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Arrow announcement:

Quote:
That’s right, thanks to all of you we have managed to reach (and are steadily exceeding) our original goal! We really can’t thank you enough for your support and pledges and we are so proud to be able to make the dream of Arrow Video USA a reality next year!

So as promised in our last update, the time has come for us to reveal not one but two brand new titles. Both movies will be worldwide Region Free on Dual Format Blu-ray and DVD and available in the English speaking world for the first time… Please welcome MASSACRE GUN and RETALIATION to Arrow Video!

So there you have it, two classic yakuza flicks by Yasuharu Hasebe (Stray Cat Rock, Female Convict Scorpion: Grudge Song ) starring icons of the era including Jo Shishido, Akira Kobayashi, Meiko Kaji and Tatsuya Fuji! The films will come newly remastered by Nikkatsu Studios featuring new English subtitle translations and, as you have come to expect from us, video supplements, booklets and reversible sleeves featuring original and newly illustrated artwork – all to be revealed soon!

And now for the important stuff… MASSACRE GUN will be released first and will be followed by RETALIATION roughly a month later so MASSACRE GUN will be part of the 3 and 5 unannounced titles release bundle (see our page story for details) but RETALIATION won’t (we still have one very exciting title to announce that will come earlier). And as always, both titles are now available as separate perks.

So that is it for this time round. We have been getting some great feedback via the Indiegogo comments and Facebook and Twitter section so if you do have a query or something you want to share with us do get in touch!

Like this? Share it using the links below!