Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2014, 12:47 AM
Active Cultist

I'll take Rollerball for free (using points) the rest i'll pick up in a sale which seems to be the norm these days.
Old 20th December 2014, 04:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Milano Calibre 9 and Nightmare City are due to be reannounced with new transfers made by Arrow, and they've previously stated the IndieGoGo campgain will allow for more Euro Crime, Giallo etc with new transfers.

It'll probably just take some time, but I bet we'll see those Bava's with new transfers when they do come.
I'll only believe it when I have Milano Calibro 9 and Nightmare City on my shelf
demonknight likes this.
Old 20th December 2014, 05:26 AM
Cult Addict

Given the shocking state of some HD masters of Italian cinema when distributors get them, holding off on genre titles like that might be best in the short term at least.
A lot of the titles they did release will probably see fans getting the upgrades from synapse and Grindhouse, on stuff like TENEBRAE, BEYOND, PHENOMENA. So long as were getting no more erotica I'm happy.
Old 20th December 2014, 05:53 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Given the shocking state of some HD masters of Italian cinema when distributors get them, holding off on genre titles like that might be best in the short term at least.
A lot of the titles they did release will probably see fans getting the upgrades from synapse and Grindhouse, on stuff like TENEBRAE, BEYOND, PHENOMENA. So long as were getting no more erotica I'm happy.
But then if they could get hold of the original negatives Arrow could do wonders with some of these Italian titles themselves . Look at what they were able to achieve with Zombie Flesh Eaters.
Antropophagus likes this.
Old 20th December 2014, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
But then if they could get hold of the original negatives Arrow could do wonders with some of these Italian titles themselves . Look at what they were able to achieve with Zombie Flesh Eaters.
Exactly. And as Arrow has repeatedly been saying, the whole point of the North American venture is to justify spending money on original restorations (which invariably adds a five-figure sum to the production budget, which is why most indie labels either don't do it at all or only very very sparingly).

Back in 2010-12, Arrow got a lot of abuse (some of it continuing to this day) for releasing discs sourced from substandard masters - but the problem was that in virtually all cases the choice was between releasing those masters or not releasing the films at all. Now, their technical standards have unrecognisably improved to the extent that most of those older masters would be rejected outright, but that means that if Arrow wants to release the films, they have to find alternative sources - which often means creating them themselves. And that not only costs money, it takes time.

There will certainly be more Bava - but not every month, because it's obviously impossible to put them out at that rate (or indeed every three or four months) without cutting corners. And as the unreleased Bava titles become increasingly obscure, it's likely that gaps between releases will grow, if only because the challenge of tracking down decent 35mm source materials becomes that much greater.

And on a more practical level, following the very public Rabid Dogs delay, Arrow are understandably being very wary of announcing new Bava titles until they actually get their hands on the relevant masters!
Old 20th December 2014, 09:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default bundle

does the bundle deal accept paypal?
Old 20th December 2014, 10:13 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
does the bundle deal accept paypal?
I think so, as long as you complete the purchase when signed in – it has to go through as part of your account.
plasterface likes this.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Oh joy, my Nekromantik set from Arrow just arrived in a jiffy bag, with bashed in corners. Unlike the Amazon set (which they couldn't replace, only refund, due to lack of stock) the spine is completely fine though. Sigh, so annoying, especially as two people I know got their copies shipped in card with Nekromantik wrapped with bubble wrap inside. This is only the second item I've had from Arrow damaged, but after the Rabid Dogs snafu the last time I used them (they didn't send it out until after release; despite shipping numerous other peoples copies early) I feel completely frustrated with Arrow.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Exactly. And as Arrow has repeatedly been saying, the whole point of the North American venture is to justify spending money on original restorations (which invariably adds a five-figure sum to the production budget, which is why most indie labels either don't do it at all or only very very sparingly).

Back in 2010-12, Arrow got a lot of abuse (some of it continuing to this day) for releasing discs sourced from substandard masters - but the problem was that in virtually all cases the choice was between releasing those masters or not releasing the films at all. Now, their technical standards have unrecognisably improved to the extent that most of those older masters would be rejected outright, but that means that if Arrow wants to release the films, they have to find alternative sources - which often means creating them themselves. And that not only costs money, it takes time.

There will certainly be more Bava - but not every month, because it's obviously impossible to put them out at that rate (or indeed every three or four months) without cutting corners. And as the unreleased Bava titles become increasingly obscure, it's likely that gaps between releases will grow, if only because the challenge of tracking down decent 35mm source materials becomes that much greater.

And on a more practical level, following the very public Rabid Dogs delay, Arrow are understandably being very wary of announcing new Bava titles until they actually get their hands on the relevant masters!
Which is great except since ZFE, Arrow have had little interest in the type of cinema a lot of fans want from them. Certainly the fans who supported them when they were releasing the sub par transfers you're referring too. Now they've got the funds and resources to do a proper restoration of say Fulci's City of the Living Dead for example they would rather restore things like Withnail or the 'Burbs. Great films but far removed from the original fare they were once so proud of.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Which is great except since ZFE, Arrow have had little interest in the type of cinema a lot of fans want from them. Certainly the fans who supported them when they were releasing the sub par transfers you're referring too. Now they've got the funds and resources to do a proper restoration of say Fulci's City of the Living Dead for example they would rather restore things like Withnail or the 'Burbs. Great films but far removed from the original fare they were once so proud of.
Arrow has moved into the mainstream and away from the sort of films which built them up and made the Arrow Video label so popular, films like the initial releases Macabre, Sleepless and The House by the Cemetery (Masters of Giallo) and others such as A Bay of Blood, Savage Streets and Dawn and Day of the Dead.

I would dearly love them to go back to releasing much more niche horror titles but, when Nekromantik has been given such a stellar package, it is tough to complain.

Like this? Share it using the links below!